Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Hi,

I have a horizontal row of menu items set to drop down below the menu.

The menu works fine in Firefox, but in Internet Explorer 6 the menu drops down behind the content of the Joomla webpage. I have adjusted the z-index values of transmenu to be higher than those of my Joomla template, however this has not fixed the problem.

Does anybody know how to ensure transmenu appears in front of all other website content? I have seen solutions posted for flash animations, but nothing for tables or i-frames.

Thank you for any assistance.

Michael Casha Friend

Do you have a live URL installation we can take a look at?

ShannonN Friend

I would really suggest you U/G to I.E 7, 6 is really bug ridden 7 is a little bit better but hey it’s a microsfoft product so don’t expect too much 🙂

micronaut Friend

<em>@ShannonN 9499 wrote:</em><blockquote>I would really suggest you U/G to I.E 7, 6 is really bug ridden 7 is a little bit better but hey it’s a microsfoft product so don’t expect too much :)</blockquote>

Thanks for your replies. My site is here: http://www.simply-kids.co.uk. You should be able to see the menu drop behind the content on the front page.

I use Firefox and Opera myself, but the site statistics show a lot of users are still on internet explorer 6.

ShannonN Friend

micronaut;9510Thanks for your replies. My site is here: http://www.simply-kids.co.uk. You should be able to see the menu drop behind the content on the front page.

I use Firefox and Opera myself, but the site statistics show a lot of users are still on internet explorer 6.

Well I.E 6 has known problems with transparency, as does IE 7 🙂 transparency is of course a feature of transmenu. Most users of IE (in any form) know it is bug ridden and move on to a decent browser like FF, however I digress, I realise that not every internet user can do much more than point and click, especially AOL users 🙂

I don’t have IE6 to test with, so here is one of the demo site templates that implement transmenu, try that and if it doesn’t break, it points to an error in your site implementation. If it breaks in IE 6 then it really points out that IE 6 just isn’t capable of displaying transmenu properly and you may be better served to use a diffrent menu type.

Once you have completed the test, drop back in and let us know the results, that way if needed we can look at helping you further.

Cheers ShannonN

Michael Casha Friend

IE6 does not support transparency, although as far as I know IE7 does ShannonN.

//marking thread as solved

micronaut Friend

<em>@MiCCAS 9560 wrote:</em><blockquote>IE6 does not support transparency, although as far as I know IE7 does ShannonN.

//marking thread as solved</blockquote>

Thanks for your replies, your demo site renders fine in internet explorer 6. It must be a problem with my template. From other forums on the internet I think having a module below the menu helps. I personally think there is an issue in the z-index, although the menu currently has a higher z-index than the site content. Ah well, keeps me entertained!

ShannonN Friend

won’t argue with you i read whee IE 6 supports some form of transparency through the use of opacity, IE7 supports trans but has a bug with the shadows on drop downs, there is a schema VML fix out there somewhere

ShannonN Friend

Micronaught
    I’ll try to find some time to delve into it a bit more, as you say the z index is the most common thought of fix. raise teh z index to a ridicluous number say 9000, 🙂 Perhaps if you look at some of the params and source code of that demo that works, the answer may stand out and jump at you, it’s worth trying

Cheers ShannonN

micronaut Friend

<em>@ShannonN 9580 wrote:</em><blockquote>Micronaught
    I’ll try to find some time to delve into it a bit more, as you say the z index is the most common thought of fix. raise teh z index to a ridicluous number say 9000, 🙂 Perhaps if you look at some of the params and source code of that demo that works, the answer may stand out and jump at you, it’s worth trying

Cheers ShannonN</blockquote>

I tried upping the z-index in all the transmenu css code to 9000 but it still drops down below the table for the main site. All the z-index’s for the tempate are ~100. Firefox and Opera seem to understand where the drop downs should be so I think it might not be the z-index but internet explorer getting confused. I will have a look at the code for the demo site’s template. The menu’s are definately rendering properly because I can see them animating down behind the content. I might just ban IE6 users from the site 🙂

ShannonN Friend

micronaut;9939I tried upping the z-index in all the transmenu css code to 9000 but it still drops down below the table for the main site. All the z-index’s for the tempate are ~100. Firefox and Opera seem to understand where the drop downs should be so I think it might not be the z-index but internet explorer getting confused. I will have a look at the code for the demo site’s template. The menu’s are definately rendering properly because I can see them animating down behind the content. I might just ban IE6 users from the site 🙂

I’m sorry I haven’t been of much help its confusing me as wel, however dealing with other transmenu probs here i have found that some transmenu settings etc are enabled/disabled in the JS file, perhaps a look there may offer some clue?

Cheers ShannonN

micronaut Friend

<em>@ShannonN 9966 wrote:</em><blockquote>I’m sorry I haven’t been of much help its confusing me as wel, however dealing with other transmenu probs here i have found that some transmenu settings etc are enabled/disabled in the JS file, perhaps a look there may offer some clue?

Cheers ShannonN</blockquote>

Thanks for the reply. No problem regarding your time. I’m not much of a Java scripter however I shall dive in tonight and see what I can break..er, fix.

micronaut Friend

<em>@micronaut 9984 wrote:</em><blockquote>Thanks for the reply. No problem regarding your time. I’m not much of a Java scripter however I shall dive in tonight and see what I can break..er, fix.</blockquote>

I increased the zmax value in the javascript to 9000 but it still drops behind the joomla content. A puzzle indeed.

Michael Casha Friend

May I ask why your account is currently saying Unlicensed member?

<blockquote> micronaut vbmenu_register(“postmenu_9471”, true);
    Unlicensed Member

</blockquote>

micronaut Friend

<em>@MiCCAS 10153 wrote:</em><blockquote>May I ask why your account is currently saying Unlicensed member?</blockquote>

I’m not sure why that message is appearing.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

This topic contains 17 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  alextb 16 years, 11 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum