Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

EDIT: Thread solved, see bigrk’s first response or this thread to solve Problem #1 and his second response for info on Problem #2

Hi JoomlArt folks,

I’m having a two distinct problems with JA News on my installation of Teline. Here is the Dev Site I’m working on: http://guadalajarareporter.dreamhosters.com

Problem #1: In the “Headline” area once the news starts rotating (in other words not on the 1st article to show) there is a list of the articles that shows up after the “Read More . . . ” text. Here is a picture of what I mean:

Problem #2: I would like the ordering of the items in the category columns of JA News to follow the ordering that I have set. Instead the ordering seems to be following the creation date instead. This is very important for the functionality of my site. Does anyone know how to solve this??

Thanks in advance,

Noah Brimhall
    Guadalajara Reporter Web Designer

P.S. Any other comments or questions about the site in development are more than welcome. 🙂

wiskey Friend

What install did you use? I have problems with the headline cells andthe news module.

Francisco Friend

I didn’t use the Quickstart, I just used the normal template files and installed the necessary extensions separately. I had already installed Joomla on my server and had made some customizations already, so Quickstart didn’t seem ideal.

Francisco Friend

Hello again,

Can I get an idea of when or if a rep from JoomlArt will be reading or responding to this thread? I need to know if I should start looking for a different way to implement the ordering and if I should remove the “Headline” part of the module.

Thanks,
    Noah Brimhall
    Guadalajara Reporter Web Designer

bigrk Friend

Read this thread http://www.joomlart.com/forums/showthread.php?p=25755#post25755. There are plenty of post regarding this problem. You should have been able to find them by searching the forum.

babyzsmile Friend

<em>@reporter 33406 wrote:</em><blockquote>Hi JoomlArt folks,

Problem #2: I would like the ordering of the items in the category columns of JA News to follow the ordering that I have set. Instead the ordering seems to be following the creation date instead. This is very important for the functionality of my site. Does anyone know how to solve this??

</blockquote>

Go to the site news categories and find out which ones you want to display and their number. Then go to the site modules and go to edit ja news. There will be a field called category id’s. Enter the id’s you want to appear in order which will display left to right, top to bottom. Hope this helps.

Francisco Friend

Thanks to bigrk and babyzsmile for their responses :D:

For problem #1: I’ve yet to try out the solution in the thread, but I’ll be doing so shortly.

For problem #2: I don’t think I explained myself very well. I wasn’t having trouble getting the correct categories in the JA News module (although babyzsmile’s explanation of how to do this is spot on).

I’m having trouble making the articles within the categories inside the JA News module. In other words, looking at my dev site you will see the first category within JA News is “Guadalajara”. The first story is “Cement plant opens greenhouse” which is a very short story. I’d like to have the longer story “Small, inexpensive gifts under one roof” be the first story in this category. I’ve set this order inside the Joomla content management area, but JA News seems to be ordering by creation date, rather than my specified order.

Thanks to the JoomlArt community for their help so far and I hope someone might have an answer to my second problem.

bigrk Friend

The news goes by date. Just go into the article page in the Joomla backend and under the publishing tab change the date to be a more current date so it displays in the order you want it. 😎

Francisco Friend

<em>@bigrk 33978 wrote:</em><blockquote>The news goes by date. Just go into the article page in the Joomla backend and under the publishing tab change the date to be a more current date so it displays in the order you want it. :cool:</blockquote>

That was what I feared. I’m not sure I’ll be able to make this work for my client. Their current content management system has a similar issue and they really were hoping to be able to set the order without changing the date. It is much easier in Joomla to just change the “order” of the articles to give one a higher priority.

I’m sure it is unlikely to happen anytime soon, but it would be great if the JoomlArt team could include the choice of ordering in a future version of JA News. 🙂

BTW, I should have a chance to try out the fix for my “Problem #1” later today and I’ll update the thread if it works.

Francisco Friend

Thanks to bigrk’s pointer I was able to fix the problem with the Headline loader and thus resolve problem #1 of this thread. Since problem #2 is obviously not a bug (more of a missing feature), I’ll consider this thread solved and closed!

Thanks again to the whole JoomlArt community (especially bigrk)!!!

bigrk Friend

Your welcome reporter! Good luck with your site. 🙂

jbayard316 Friend

Hi bigrk,
    Can you answer this one:

My teline website, http://www.rightsidenews.com has 4 sections, in which I have 2-4 catagories per section. How can I control the ORDER in which they appear in JA News on the front page.

Example:
    News Section:JihadUSA
    JihadUSA has several Catagories, such as Campus Monitor and Terror Networks.
    But all of one catagory appear on the JA News homepage, but I want them to appear as I post them, in chronogical order, regardless of assigned catagory in that particular section. Can’t seem to do it.

Secoond question, in the ADMIN:Content Manager, when I go to a particular section, how can I have that section display in Chronological Order also, regardless of assigned catagory.

bigrk Friend

<em>@jbayard316 34257 wrote:</em><blockquote>Hi bigrk,
    Can you answer this one:

My teline website, http://www.rightsidenews.com has 4 sections, in which I have 2-4 catagories per section. How can I control the ORDER in which they appear in JA News on the front page.

Example:
    News Section:JihadUSA
    JihadUSA has several Catagories, such as Campus Monitor and Terror Networks.
    But all of one catagory appear on the JA News homepage, but I want them to appear as I post them, in chronogical order, regardless of assigned catagory in that particular section. Can’t seem to do it.

Secoond question, in the ADMIN:Content Manager, when I go to a particular section, how can I have that section display in Chronological Order also, regardless of assigned catagory.</blockquote>

In the Teline template JA News is the main section. There is the Headline News Rotator and whatever you have named the section for your news. JihadUSA is a category. You can not have categories within a category. You can only have a new story that can be added to a category. The new stories will appear at the top of the category by the most recent date. If you add a story on a date other than the current date say two days ago then any other story added to that date will appear below the first.

To control where each category appears on the Home Page you just need to list each category I.D. in the proper order in the Category I.D. box in the JA News Module under Parameters. I hope this all makes sense to you.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

This topic contains 13 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  bigrk 16 years, 4 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum