Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

I have been having a mysterious problem on my Teline IV site the last 24-48 hours–not before. It operates differently on different browsers:

1. Safari–Site intermittently does not present the menu tabs at the top of the page correctly. If you click on one of the articles, it goes to a subsidiary page, where they are operating properly, but they show only as a list on the top of the home page.

2. Internet Explorer: Menu Options appear correctly, but nothing else on the home page loads at all. Clicking on one of the menu items takes you to a properly operating page, but going back to home, nothing works.

3. Firefox and Chrome: Working properly, although occasionally I am just getting a listing of the various articles, which no template presentation at all.

I went to the Joomla Forums and found a few things suggesting such problems exist in .css files, especially template.css, but since I made no changes to these files, and they were working fine before, I am wondering what this could be.

Any ideas?

Best regards, Skip Conover

Phill Moderator

Looks like someone has cut and pasted a couple of articled in from MS Word. Try removing these articles one by one until you find the offending one.

Here is the code generated in your site.

<

p><!--><xml> <o:DocumentProperties> <o:Template>Normal.dotm</o:Template> <o:Revision>0 <o:TotalTime>0 <o:Pages>1</o:Pages> <o:Words>505</o:Words> <o:Characters>2882</o:Characters> <o:Company>Conover Associates LLC</o:Company> <o:Lines>24</o:Lines> <o:Paragraphs>5</o:Paragraphs> <o:CharactersWithSpaces>3539</o:CharactersWithSpaces> <o:Version>12.0</o:Version> </o:DocumentProperties> <o:OfficeDocumentSettings> <o:AllowPNG /> </o:OfficeDocumentSettings> </xml><!--><!--><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:Zoom>0 <w:TrackMoves>false</w:TrackMoves> <w:TrackFormatting /> <w:PunctuationKerning /> <w:DrawingGridHorizontalSpacing>18 pt</w:DrawingGridHorizontalSpacing> <w:DrawingGridVerticalSpacing>18 pt</w:DrawingGridVerticalSpacing> <w:DisplayHorizontalDrawingGridEvery>0 <w:DisplayVerticalDrawingGridEvery>0 <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas /> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables /> <w:DontGrowAutofit /> <w:DontAutofitConstrainedTables /> <w:DontVertAlignInTxbx /> </w:Compatibility> </w:WordDocument> </xml><!--><!--><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="276"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><!--> <!--> <mce:style><! /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ascii-font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Cambria; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;} --> <!-- --> <!--StartFragment--></p>

dlconover Friend

Phill, I really do appreciate your trying to be helpful, but this response of yours is Greek to me. What, pray tell, are you talking about? How would they do this if security is proper? Can someone just blow into my code and make changes willy nilly?

If responses in your forum don’t answer the questions who, what, when, where, why and how, they are precious little use to laymen like me.

When you say there is code “generated in my site”, where would that be? How would I identify what code is essential to the operation of my site, and what is offending code? You give me a long listing of code, but how would I know what’s good and what’s bad?

TO MY FRIENDS AT JOOMLART: I AM VERY TROUBLED BY THIS. IF PASSERSBY CAN CRASH MY WEB SITE BASED ON SOFTWARE BOUGHT FROM YOU, IT SEEMS THERE IS A VERY SERIOUS SECURITY PROBLEM. WHAT IS BEING DONE ABOUT THIS?:((

Best regards, Skip Conover

<em>@phill luckhurst 256458 wrote:</em><blockquote>Looks like someone has cut and pasted a couple of articled in from MS Word. Try removing these articles one by one until you find the offending one.

Here is the code generated in your site.

<

p><!--><xml> <o:DocumentProperties> <o:Template>Normal.dotm</o:Template> <o:Revision>0 <o:TotalTime>0 <o:Pages>1</o:Pages> <o:Words>505</o:Words> <o:Characters>2882</o:Characters> <o:Company>Conover Associates LLC</o:Company> <o:Lines>24</o:Lines> <o:Paragraphs>5</o:Paragraphs> <o:CharactersWithSpaces>3539</o:CharactersWithSpaces> <o:Version>12.0</o:Version> </o:DocumentProperties> <o:OfficeDocumentSettings> <o:AllowPNG /> </o:OfficeDocumentSettings> </xml><!--><!--><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:Zoom>0 <w:TrackMoves>false</w:TrackMoves> <w:TrackFormatting /> <w:PunctuationKerning /> <w:DrawingGridHorizontalSpacing>18 pt</w:DrawingGridHorizontalSpacing> <w:DrawingGridVerticalSpacing>18 pt</w:DrawingGridVerticalSpacing> <w:DisplayHorizontalDrawingGridEvery>0 <w:DisplayVerticalDrawingGridEvery>0 <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas /> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables /> <w:DontGrowAutofit /> <w:DontAutofitConstrainedTables /> <w:DontVertAlignInTxbx /> </w:Compatibility> </w:WordDocument> </xml><!--><!--><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="276"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><!--> <!--> <mce:style><! /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ascii-font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Cambria; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;} --> <!-- --> <!--StartFragment--></p>

</blockquote>

dlconover Friend

Phill, On second reading of your response, it occurred to me that you were not talking about random code somewhere in my template or other software, but in one of the articles published on the site. When you had the misspelling “articled” in your response, I thought you were talking about some techie thing, so I could not imagine what you were meaning. As I reread and considered it, though, I realized that you must mean some of the recent article postings. I went back through and disabled the last few, and voila, the site seems to be functional again. It is now clear you were meaning that there was bad code within one of the articles on the site.

Now this begs the question of how we identify what is bad. All of our users have been cutting and pasting into our other site for the last 8 months, and into this site for the last 4 weeks since we’ve had it up. So what is it about the Word code that causes the crash? What do we need to watch for?

I still have no idea what you mean about the code you quoted in your response. Is that bad code? What makes it bad? If I find that duplicate code in one of the articles I’ve disabled and remove it, does that solve my problem?

Sorry to ask so many questions, but I am not technically trained, though I’m a halfway capable user. I just don’t want to run into the same problem again, and I do want to publish the disabled articles.

Best regards, Skip

Phill Moderator

Sorry for the miss spelling. Typing on an iPad is not easy at times.

All websites will have a problem with ms word. When you create a document in word it adds its own HTML to layout the page. While this is fine in the wordprocessor it will kill webpages when displayed I’m microsofts own browser. Firefox deals with it better and realises that it is garbage as does chrome. It is a normal problem that we have to learn how to deal with. If you find one of the offending articles and click the HTML button in the editor you will see all sorts of code there that should not be.

Fortunately there are a number of ways to deal with it. Joomla 1.6 can be setup to automatically strip this code out but that can cause problems if you are wanting to put any videos or custom layouts in articles but if you set that for just certain user groups it will leave your site functional if they paste an article the wrong way.

Better though in my mind to enable the paste from word facility built into the tiny mce editor. To do this you go into the tiny mce plugin from the joomla back end and change the mode from advanced to extended. Users will then have an extra button when they look at the editor that looks like a clipboard with a little Microsoft w on it. If users use that button when pasting from word it will strip out all the unwanted code. You will just need to educate your users to make sure they use it.

dlconover Friend

Dear Phill,

Thanks so much for your patience with me on this. Yesterday I was at wit’s end because the site was acting up so badly, and it was really hard to imagine what could be going wrong. I’ll do my best to make the changes you suggest.

I have made a conscious decision not to go into Joomla 1.6 because of the security warning and upgrade into Joomla 1.7. I had the site set up on Joomla 1.6 a couple of weeks ago. It was hacked and I had to start over again with 1.5. I’ve decided to wait until Joomlart can certify the Teline IV template and relevant plugins and modules for 1.7, which should be done in August, according to my understanding.

Once again, thanks so much for your advice and patience.

Best regards, Skip Conover:)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  dlconover 12 years, 9 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum