Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Site was originally built in English. We later added multiple languages, so following instructions, I made a copy of the original template and named it English (EN) and did same for French, German, etc. The EN template is set as default, however, when you go navigate to our site, there is no /en designation.

If you select French, the site url changes to /fr, if you then select English, the site url changes to /en. All features/pages work properly when the /en is there. There are category pages that do not show up and some pages that 404 when the /en is not there. I noticed under Menus that the Main Menu has a house icon and shows the default star next to it. The English Menu is set for Default for English. How do I get the site to default to /en from the very first visit of the page? I thought it would do that by selecting the JADecor-English as "Default for all pages".

1. Template_Defualt
    2. Template_Defualt-1
    3. Menu_differences
    Saguaros Moderator

Hi,

It due to the settings in Language Filter plugin under: Extensions > Plugins > System – Language Filter > disable option: Remove URL Language Code: http://prntscr.com/gcjaz9

I disabled it for you and it’s showing fine now.

dbc011 Friend

It is not working properly. It is going to /en-gb not /en.
    The /en-gb has the same issues as the site did without any extension. The one that is working properly in English language is /en

dbc011 Friend

Think I got it. Changed the x-default Language in the Plugin to English instead of English UK.

dbc011 Friend

Nope. Still changing to /en-gb on several test machines and in several browsers.

I don’t see a way to tell the default template to use English instead of English (UK).

Suggestions?

dbc011 Friend

Honestly we could get rid of en-gb all together if that makes things easier?

Saguaros Moderator

Kindly check your menu assignment again as it looks like it’s assigned to English (UK) instead of English (US) so that the URL Language code ‘en-gb’ is showing.

dbc011 Friend

I played around with the Menu’s yesterday.
    Question – I have a Main Menu and a EnglishMenu. Should I kill the EnglishMenu and just change the language on the Main Menu to English (US)?

dbc011 Friend

So in the Language Filter, I have the x-default Language set to English (pic attached)

I do have individual pages for all languages, so I’m not sure if I need the "Automatic Language Change" set to Yes.

Main Menu>Home is set as the default. Home language is "all" as a error message instructed when I tried to change it to English (US). I am not understanding how to get the Menus/site to default to English (US).

1. Language_Filter
    Saguaros Moderator

Hi,

You tend to use English (US) or English (UK) or both?

If you want to use English (US), you can remove English (UK) and set the language code for English (US) to ‘en’. Because, when you use both, you can’t set both to ‘en’ – this code is unique for one language only.

And one more thing, you should have this menu structure:

you should not add the menu item of English into the ‘Default menu’ as I can see now.

Pls check out this documentation for more info: https://docs.joomla.org/Special:MyLanguage/J3.x:Setup_a_Multilingual_Site/Creating_menus

dbc011 Friend

I am unable to uninstall the English UK (en-gb) language as it is "protected" and cannot be uninstalled.

I disabled the English UK language, and that resulted in the site not working – url changes to http://www.premiermotorworkz.com//

I have the x-default Language set to English in the Language

I had to figure out that the default site language is set under Extension>Languages>Installed.

Site is now working – defaulting to /en, but the US flag is not displaying in the Language switcher in upper right hand corner. If you select dropdown, it appears. If you switch to another site, it appears. It seems it is only not displaying on /en page.

The Active Language is set to "Yes" in the Language Switcher (see attachment)

1. EnglishUK_locked
    2. Language_Switcher
    Saguaros Moderator

Because you don’t have menu for English US now

you should not add the menu item of English into the ‘Default menu’ as I can see now.

As I mentioned above, you should not add the menu items for US inside default menu, it should have its own menu like other languages: http://prntscr.com/gequ0z

dbc011 Friend

Created EnglishMenu and added Menu Items and set Home as Default. Homepage working properly with 2 issues remaining;

The US flag is not displaying in the Language Selector on the Home page, nor is it displaying on any other
    of the language pages.

"Vaydor" and "Get in touch" Menu Items disappearing when you click on "About" Menu item. They are working on all other pages.

Saguaros Moderator

Hi,

You also need to set a default item for English menu: http://prntscr.com/gf7cil I’ve set for you and the flag is showing now.

For the disappeared menu item, it due to the configuration of template style, you assigned default template style (which doesn’t load EnglishMenu) to this About page so it doesn’t have Vaydor or Get in touch menu items, I just assign ‘JA Decor – English (2) template style to this menu item – config to load English Menu and it’s showing fine now: http://prntscr.com/gf7enf

dbc011 Friend

Perfect. Appreciate your help. Site working properly now.
    Please mark as "Solved".

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

This topic contains 14 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  dbc011 6 years, 7 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum