Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Hi all,
    I am using joomla 1.5.22 version in my site.I want to upgrade it to 1.6.So i should first upgrade it to 1.5.23 or I can directly upgrade it to 1.6??Please anybody help me out with this.

Any help is appreciated.

jneubauer Friend

You MUST upgrade your site to 1.5.23 first – currently there is no method to upgrade without being on 1.5.23.
    After that I would suggest using the jUpgrade component (http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions/migration-a-conversion/joomla-migration/11658). Make sure you take the time when upgrading to select the 1.6 package if you are not ready to go to 1.7. 1.7 is selected by default, so you will need to change that!
    Once you upgrade you will most likely have to re-install all third party components as well, so make sure you have those handy!

TomC Moderator

<em>@amit_s_r 262805 wrote:</em><blockquote>Hi all,
    I am using joomla 1.5.22 version in my site.I want to upgrade it to 1.6.So i should first upgrade it to 1.5.23 or I can directly upgrade it to 1.6??Please anybody help me out with this.

Any help is appreciated.</blockquote>
    Question … is there any particular practical reason you want, and/or feel you need, to upgrade to J1.6?

I ask because, the fact of the matter is, that J1.6 is no longer supported by Joomla.

To be completely honest with you, you should NOT upgrade to J1.6. The reason being because J1.6 is no longer supported by Joomla. In fact, any/all users of J1.6 should either update to J1.7 (if the template has been updated) or stick with their J1.5x platform until such time as the next Joomla LTS version is released.

As you are currently using J1.5, my sincere advice to you would be to continue to administrate your site using J1.5 until such time as JA Trona is upgraded for J1.7 or … if it takes a bit longer, for the next Joomla LTS (long term support) release – which will be J2.5 (formerly known as J1.8).

We are in continuous progress to upgrade our templates and extensions for J1.7. Please stay tuned to our BLOG and UPDATES main site – as we will publish notification of all updated releases there – http://www.joomlart.com/updates/joomla-templates

amit_s_r Friend

Hi TomC,
    Thank you for your advice but support for j1.5 will stop till 2012.So at that time i had to upgrade my joomla.Actually I have just started my site so i was thinking to upgrade it.So should i stick to joomla 1.5 or upgrade it???

TomC Moderator

<em>@amit_s_r 263023 wrote:</em><blockquote>Hi TomC,
    Thank you for your advice but support for j1.5 will stop till 2012.So at that time i had to upgrade my joomla.Actually I have just started my site so i was thinking to upgrade it.So should i stick to joomla 1.5 or upgrade it???</blockquote>
    My advice, at this time, is to steer clear of J1.6. From what friends of mine involved with the Joomla Development Project tell me, there WILL be ways to upgrade/transition J1.5x sites to J2.5 come the release of J2.5 in January 2012. I’m told, however, that it may not be as easy moving from J1.6 to J2.5.

My friend, Jon (from above) can probably shed some additional light upon this issue as well.

The other consideration, of course, are the extensions you will want to utilize with your JA Events based site. I believe it is far more likely that more/most of the 3rd Party Joomla extension developers are already anticipating J2.5 and making ready to prepare their extensions for such – much as they did with J1.5. Not nearly as many have (or will) be updating their extensions for J1.6 …. or even J1.7 (though it seems more have updated for J1.7 than did for J1.6, relatively).

MY ADVICE . . . If you want to get your site up and running, stick with J1.5 and keep yourself informed and up-to-date with the progress and preparations for the eventual release of J2.5 in January 2012. I think you will have more options available to you overall – and in the long run.

If any of my fellow Support Team colleagues would like to chime in and agree with or correct me as to anything I wrote above, please join the discussion. 😎

n6rej Friend

<em>@amit_s_r 263023 wrote:</em><blockquote>Hi TomC,
    Thank you for your advice but support for j1.5 will stop till 2012.So at that time i had to upgrade my joomla.Actually I have just started my site so i was thinking to upgrade it.So should i stick to joomla 1.5 or upgrade it???</blockquote>

You mention this is a brand new site. I would go straight to 1.7 ( not upgrade ) unless there is some specific extension you NEED that is not 1.7 compatible. Many 1.6 extensions are but there is no guarantee.

Manos Moderator

Well on my side i am staying with J1.5 until the next LTS release which will be some time in January 2012 (before the end of support for J1.5) .

So far i haven’t upgraded any of my sites or customer site to J1.6 or J1.7.AND in most cases 3rd party plugins or modules are not yet upgraded to support J1.6 or J1.7, but even if i don’t have to use any 3rd party add on i still think that for J.1.6.x or J1.7.x there is a long way to go..

amit_s_r Friend

Hi TomC,
    Thank you once again for the advice.Basically I am upgradin because I am having problems in login sometimes it shows a msg after login i.e. “Invalid Token” but if we close the tab and open the site again,it shows that user is already login..And also there is one more problem that if i want to login with my admin in frontend, unless we check the “remember me” it will not allow me to login??Why so???
    Any help is appreciated.

Arvind Chauhan Moderator

Hi Amit,

As you said you are using J 1.5.22. You should first upgrade it to latest J 1.5.23, irrespective of J 1.6 / J 1.7 or J 1.5…. you should always be running the latest version of Joomla! as version releases fixes the bugs or security issues.

This applies to the templates / extensions too, you should periodically check for new releases and always keep your extensions updated.

Now for considering to move to J 1.6? Check the following first :

1. Joomla! 1.6 is gone and you should consider J 1.7 or above.
    2. Check if the template or extensions you use are available for J 1.7. If not confirm with the Developers of such extensions, if they would be updating the same for J 1.7 or not. If they say yes, you can wait till they release.
    3. If not, then you should consider alternatives and plan accordingly.

If all components are available, then there is no harm in upgrading to Joomla 1.7. Joomla 1.5 is still around and devs across the web are working hard to make their products compatible for J 1.7.

You can delay your upgrades till J 1.5 is active but eventually you will have to upgrade to J 1.7 or J 1.8.

Arvind

TomC Moderator

Just a little tidbit with regard to the next LTS –> [url=http://www.joomlart.com/forums/topic/j2-5-the-next-lts-release-coming-jan-2012/

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

This topic contains 10 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  TomC 12 years, 9 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum