Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

When I select SEO options in the control panel, then change htaccess.txt to .htaccess as it says I should my site suddenly can’t find any of the pages. Changing both back, everything is fine again. Is it not possible to use this feature with this template?

Joe

Hieu Nguyen Admin

Our template is optimized for SEO (Semantic Mark-up, H1 Sitename, Content first…), so you don’t have to worry about using SEO enhancement features with it. 😉

I think the problem is from your .htaccess file, did you change:

# RewriteBase /

to:

# RewriteBase /Your_website_directory/

There is a useful link on how to use SEO with Joomla!:

http://help.joomla.org/content/view/796/153/

Hope it helps!

jmonahan Friend

When I did this with the default template it worked fine, so I think the web server is set up correctly. I’m moving an existing site to Joomla and I don’t want to loose all the existing traffic from google!

I wonder if I should just use a forwarding extension (component) to forward old URLs to the new pages? (There are about 150 pages, but lots of traffic I would hate to loose!)

imaaxx Friend

Hello,

I have done lots of SEO work with Joomla and Joomlart templates, the issue is NOT the template but Joomla and your server.

1st off Joomlart website templates do index very, very well in Google and Yahoo if you set things up right. We have many Joomlart sites that are front page ranked for their major keywords.

Some sites we will use .htaccess /mod-rewrite feature with a 3rd party extension like Artio to clean the URLS, but that takes some practice and good knowledge of SEO to set-up right. Plus many hosting companies DO NOT support mod-rewrite; please check that before you consider using this type of 3rd party SEO plug-in on your server.

If you decide to do this you MUST read all the documents 1st before you start to change anything on your server. Oh and make sure you BACK-Up, BACK-UP and BACK-UP! Before you start!

Have a look here for Artio I hope this helps.

Regards

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  imaaxx 17 years, 3 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum