Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

I’m a newbie – been using Joomla only 4 weeks, Teline III only 12 days. I’ve learned a lot & with the help of many here, I have built a nice and functioning website. http://www.65stillalive.com Now I’m seeking advice.

I want the website to be a portal to a community with social networking, blogs, jobs board, bulletin board, etc. I installed Community Builder (free — so I don’t have access to some features) — I’m not impressed. Does it work as the basis for a social network?

I’d going to install JA blog — is it built into Teline III – I can’t find it in the Extensions club. I’m going to install JA job board. Any advice?

I have experience with phpBB, and I found a patch http://www.mehdiplugins.com/misc/phpbbjoom.htm
    to integrate the BB with Joomla. After installing you hack the BB but not Joomla. I tried it on a plain vanilla Jomla and it worked – login to Joomla and you’re in the BB. Has anyone tried this with JA especially Teline III ? Is there a serious risk of screwing up my site? Any other ideas? I don’t like this BB we’re using here — to complex for the oldsters who are my audience, phpBB is familiar and idiot proof, just what I need,

BTW – you can join my community even if you’re not 65 — the site will welcome anyone interested in the aging population (kids, grandkids, caregivers, etc.) We could use some more testers to help trying things out.

I really appreciate all the support and advice — This is a friendly community!
    Mel

Arvind Chauhan Moderator

Dear melklein,

<blockquote>I’m a newbie – been using Joomla only 4 weeks, Teline III only 12 days. I’ve learned a lot & with the help of many here, I have built a nice and functioning website. http://www.65stillalive.com Now I’m seeking advice.</blockquote>
    Having used the quickstart, i hope you must be finding it easy to customize the site as per your wishes.

<blockquote>
    I want the website to be a portal to a community with social networking, blogs, jobs board, bulletin board, etc. I installed Community Builder (free — so I don’t have access to some features) — I’m not impressed. Does it work as the basis for a social network? </blockquote>

You can also try the JomSocial Component from Azrul.com, Its one of the hottest social networking component. However, i have preferred Community builder for my College sites.

For JobBoard you may try out JA JobBoard (V 1.4.1 is coming out shortly)

<blockquote>
    I’d going to install JA blog — is it built into Teline III – I can’t find it in the Extensions club. I’m going to install JA job board. Any advice?</blockquote>

JA Blog? If you are talking about Our Blog, then it is using Myblog Component, again from Azrul.com

<blockquote>I have experience with phpBB, and I found a patch http://www.mehdiplugins.com/misc/phpbbjoom.htm
    to integrate the BB with Joomla. After installing you hack the BB but not Joomla. I tried it on a plain vanilla Jomla and it worked – login to Joomla and you’re in the BB. Has anyone tried this with JA especially Teline III ? Is there a serious risk of screwing up my site? Any other ideas? I don’t like this BB we’re using here — to complex for the oldsters who are my audience, phpBB is familiar and idiot proof, just what I need, </blockquote>

Mehdi bridges are famous and quite reputed. I myself have used his bridge for coppermine gallery.
    However, bridges are not generally recommended as they can be a security problem. You may find many resources on this detail on google.

Rest all seems fine.

Best luck and regards,

Arvind

melklein Friend

<em>@drarvindc 163448 wrote:</em><blockquote>Dear melklein,

Having used the quickstart, i hope you must be finding it easy to customize the site as per your wishes.

You can also try the JomSocial Component from Azrul.com, Its one of the hottest social networking component. However, i have preferred Community builder for my College sites.

For JobBoard you may try out JA JobBoard (V 1.4.1 is coming out shortly)

JA Blog? If you are talking about Our Blog, then it is using Myblog Component, again from Azrul.com

Mehdi bridges are famous and quite reputed. I myself have used his bridge for coppermine gallery.
    However, bridges are not generally recommended as they can be a security problem. You may find many resources on this detail on google.

Rest all seems fine.

Best luck and regards,

Arvind</blockquote>
    Thanks Arvin . I’ve fallen in love with JoomSocial and will be buying it and installing today. I already implemented Mehdi’s bridge with PhPBB ( http://www.65stillalive.com NETWORK > BOARD) – works very well. After JoomSocial I’ll install a crossword puzzle program, then the JA jobs Board. Ambitious for someone only 5 weeks into Joomla, eh?

Thanks for all your help!!!
    Mel

kunoichidee Friend

Hello melklein

Your site looks good! 🙂
    I would like to know how you are experiencing JomSocial with Ja Teline III template!

We also use this template but currently with Community Builder.

I’m still somewhat reluctant to try out JomSocial as the site is also live and has some users registered!

I would love it if you could share some of your experience with it with me! 🙂

Here’s the link to our community/news site:

http://www.bujinkan-belgium.net

Hope to hear from you soon!

melklein Friend

Thanks for the compliments. My site is in the development stage, so my only users are friends and family (thanks for joining) I chose JomSocial because it integrates well with JA. It seems that the JA team and the JomSocial team know each other and communicate. JA gave away promotional coupons for JS last year, which told me a lot about the compatibility.

The integration with TellineIII was very easy – I just installed JomSocial and made some menu links. I wish it were that easy with some other components such as MediaWiki (login synch problems)

BTW, I got tired of the limitations of TinyMice so I installed a new editor call FCK Editor (terrible name) — it is great. I also like Cute Editor, but FCK seems to do everything I want.

I’m working on content and will start putting in ads in March and begin promoting the site mid-March.

Mel.

kunoichidee Friend

Hey thanks for the reply!

Did you use community builder first? or started with Jomsocal from scratch?

That’s my biggest concern now.

For the editor, yes TinyMice is bad! I use JCE Editor now, also an excelent editor!!

melklein Friend

Just responded on my site — I tried CB but didn’t like it. Since I had no members converting to JS was easy. I have no idea what happens to the member lists and data when you convert from CB to JS. Look at the forums at JS — I think a lot of people have experience converting. BUT be wary of the forum info because the owners delete all negative comments, so you’re not getting the full picture.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  melklein 14 years, 2 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum