Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Having an issue trying to get search results to appear on the Home page. Have reviewed all the posts relating to search on this site and many more via google. Cannot find any relating to this issue.
    I want search results to appear within the context where the search is done. Search is working and returning results on all pages in the site except on the Home page. When you enter a search term on the home page, the search is processed and the page refreshes but no results show. The page appears as it was before entering the search term.
    Have tried using a hidden search menu item and can get search results to appear on the home page with this but it breaks the context search for all the other pages – the search results using a hidden menu item appear on the home page no matter where the search originated. Do not want this – wish to keep the context search working.
    I think this is probably an easy fix and I am missing something simple – but I have been working on this for several days with no luck.
    Anyone have any ideas?

Running Joomla 2.5.10 on a linux server. Site is http://www.townofviking.ca.

Ninja Lead Moderator

If possible you can pm me admin access to your site, i shall check for you.

nextech Friend

I have replied with login info via PM. Please check. Thanks.

Ninja Lead Moderator

I have added ID Menu Item(Result Search) into Search Form, see the screenshot

ID Menu Item(Result Search)

Search Form

Please check search form on your site again, let me know if it helps.

1. MenuItems
    2. set_ID_Result
    nextech Friend

Hi – thanks for having a look. I am not sure if you noticed when you added the Search Results menu item that there was already a Search Results menu item there that had been deactivated. Adding a menu item on this template forces the search results to display under a specific main menu item. The context of where in the menu structure you entered the search terms is lost (results are displayed under a specified menu item) Without adding the Search Results menu item, the search results are displayed on the page where you entered the search terms – which is what I want to happen. The only problem using this method (no menu item) is that search results do not display on the Home page.

I did some more checking and on my site the Home page uses a different template layout than all the other pages. There is no block specific to search results on either the Home page template layout or the layout all the other pages use, but if I change to a different layout for the Home page template, search results will show on the home page like all the other pages. So there is something in the template layout we are using for the home page that is missing or different causing the search results to not show.

I have found a different solution (because I want to keep using the template layouts). I created a second search module only for the Home page and used a Search Results submenu item under the Home menu item. The second search module has the Menu Item ID of this Search Results submenu. I set the template for this page to be the same as those used in the rest of the site and the color theme to be the same as the Home page. This now works and search results are displayed on all pages from where the search terms were entered.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  nextech 11 years ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum