Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Hi Guys,

I couldn’t find a thread about discussing responsive webdesign. I love how it works. But on my ipad 3. i found it to be too slow to be usefull. And wasn’t the whole responive thing supposed to be for portable / mobile devices? maybe it’s the demo being slow. I haven’t gotten a change to either test JA Lens of JA Wall on my own servers. But when changing from portrait to landscape it is not smooth and takes seconds. scolling takes long for things to load too.

That made me wonder if this is a gimmick like those 3-D TV’s nowadays. or is this the future?

I’d like to hear from other professionals what they thing about it. The other day i found this post about “responsive webdesign failed”. Of course there will be people that don’t like it.

I’m in the middle on this. I am planning on doing this big project for a car dealership and would love to make this a responsive website. I just got my concerns for the performance aspect. Usability is key.

So i’m curious what all you experts thing about this! Let’s start the conversation

BTW: Mods i don’t know if this is the right place to put this thread. Been looking for a good place for 20 minutes. Didn’t want this to be a public thread because i didn’t want it to have a negative effect on sales.

swissa Friend

<em>@tom_laan84 323237 wrote:</em><blockquote> But on my ipad 3. </blockquote>

Show off!!! 😀 My ipad 2 works fine with Lens and Wall. :p

<em>@tom_laan84 323237 wrote:</em><blockquote>

I’d like to hear from other professionals

</blockquote> That’s me out then!

<em>@tom_laan84 323237 wrote:</em><blockquote>

I am planning on doing this big project for a car dealership and would love to make this a responsive website.

</blockquote> Lens would be cool as images sell cars……

I’m torn on ‘responsive’. My idea of a real responsive site is you ask it for a beer and it delivers!

But there is no doubt that mobile devices will dominate the market of the future. I’ve been involved in mobile data for the last 20 years (Vodafone got it’s name from VOice and DAta FONE) and seen (and planned) for the growth and if they don’t f*** up 4G/LTE then it’s just going to get bigger and bigger. The final hurdle left for this to happen is exorbitant roaming charges which are criminal.

I think simplicity will be the key to mobile sites hence why I’m torn on responsive tricky sites. Lovely on the eye but present problems in setting them up – yet to see how much maintenance they require.

tfosnom Friend

Well my 2 cents . . . I don’t think that many ppl use mobiles to browse the web the same way they do with a real computer and desktop as in speed of device large screen size etc. So I don’t know just what professional site could use all the responsivness and still be functional and true to its design purpose, like the op and his car sales site, like the idea but how’s abrand new car going to look on a 4″ screen????? Not for me and poor eyesight.

While a tablet over 9″ can deliver a viewable area that doesn’t require a magnifying glass forget the small 4″ inch screen mobiles. who’d want to view a site solely on them? Like want to see a shopping cart? wait till you get home on the desktop.

Gen Y with their social networking addiction and no real friends or lives may drool over responsive sites on their twee little Iphones, but I feel it’s not going to be the great new thing we think it could be until the device market its being introduced to cater for can deliver fast computing ( note: not internet) speeds and much more usable screen sizes.

Cheers Shannon

oyvindss Friend

I think Responsive Design is definitely here to stay.

Why would web technology revert back to all non-responsive design? Not going to happen. Not all web pages will have it, but more and more will as the technology becomes more optimized and accessible.

Most future web technology will probably be responsive in some way. Unless Flash web design makes a comeback… 🙂

tfosnom Friend

<em>@oyvindss 323406 wrote:</em><blockquote>I think Responsive Design is definitely here to stay.

Why would web technology revert back to all non-responsive design? Not going to happen. Not all web pages will have it, but more and more will as the technology becomes more optimized and accessible.

Most future web technology will probably be responsive in some way. Unless Flash web design makes a comeback… :)</blockquote>

I seem to remember WEB 2 a few years ago was going to “sweep all away” and be here forever, with rounded buttons, iconic looks etc. What’sthe percent of true WEB 2.0 sites on the net these days? 😀

oyvindss Friend

<em>@tfosnom 323432 wrote:</em><blockquote>I seem to remember WEB 2 a few years ago was going to “sweep all away” and be here forever, with rounded buttons, iconic looks etc. What’sthe percent of true WEB 2.0 sites on the net these days? :D</blockquote>

Oh, but Web 2.0 was always a fashion fad, right? Althought it brought some new technologies, the “Web 2.0” aspect was more aboutthe style, -as you described. The technologies that came in the same era are now crucial aspects of complex web solutions.

As with those features, Responsive Design is about substance; -actual functionality. A milestone in web design that creates a paradigm shift that makes it inefficient and pointless to go back to the pre RD era.

I get why some don’t want to use it, but most would benefit from using it.

tfosnom Friend

<em>@oyvindss 323467 wrote:</em><blockquote>Oh, but Web 2.0 was always a fashion fad, right? Althought it brought some new technologies, the “Web 2.0” aspect was more aboutthe style, -as you described. The technologies that came in the same era are now crucial aspects of complex web solutions.

As with those features, Responsive Design is about substance; -actual functionality. A milestone in web design that creates a paradigm shift that makes it inefficient and pointless to go back to the pre RD era.

I get why some don’t want to use it, but most would benefit from using it.</blockquote>

I can’t really see it being that successful, UNTIL, designers stop breaking the design by trying to cram non- responsive things like forums and JomSocial into it, just because that’s what they always have done with their designs and think they MUST have these things or the sky will fall. Responsive templates have very limited usage atm because the above mentioned items have not been designed to also be responsive and may never be?

Given JomSocial updates are really quick bug fixes for the previous patch 😀 I can’t see it becoming responsive friendly any time soon. Maybe this is where designers must start to recognise the limitations responsive design places on them and cut out the ‘let’s offer everything we can approach’, meaning no forums, no colums full of adsense , no JS, CB etc.

Many think ‘minimalist’ design is all about athestics, that all you need to do is lose the images, boxed colours and borders etc leaving a white text based site? To me it’s more about minimalizing the content and how the site interacts with the target audience, we have to remember, it’s ok to still use a non-responsive site where non-responsive things are necessary, not every site MUST now be responsive just becasue we have some new toys.

Cheers Shannon

renejdm Friend

Hi Shannon,

I am using forums in my responsive websites and, for the most part, it is working well. I think with just some minor css tweaks I can get it completely responsive. Mind you, I have not tested with tons of posts, so who knows. I am using EasyDiscuss as a forum.

I tried JomSocial but there was way too much work to do, so I gave up on the idea and scrapped it completely. I am happy about that as it is less headaches for me and much cheaper (esp. when you add up all the add-ons for it).

Something I am not sure you mentioned was directories. For some people these are a must but as far as I know there are no responsive joomla directories. But you can get around that by using K2 as a directory. That is what I am doing with my Wall site and it is working out very well (so far).

I love responsive websites and I think they are the future. Not just mobile but huge screens.

Rene

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  renejdm 11 years, 11 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum