Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Can someone advise how I go about removing the secondary sub-menu which appears top-right when any page in the sub menu structure is accessed? Its overkill with the structure already showing in the right main menu listing.

Here is what I mean: CLICK

Thanks 🙂

nicely Friend

No-one? This must be something really simple for someone… :confused:

sigmyers Friend

Hey there,

I was having the same problem tonight, oddly enough.

I fixed it by disabling the “Main Menu”.

To do this, log in to the joomla back-end and under the “Extensions->Modules” category just click the check mark next to “Main Menu” and make it an ‘x’.

The reason the top bar will still display after disabling the module is because under “Menu’s->Menu Manager” you’ll see that one of your menus is of type “mainmenu”. Any menu item in this area that you add will automatically be added across the top of your screen because of the type being “mainmenu”. That’s basically just how joomlart programmed it. That’s basically the long explanation why–the above tip should fix it for you 🙂

Hope this helps–if I don’t make sense just post another note and I’ll try and clear it up.

Cheers,
    -Sig

Hope this makes sense–drop me a line if not.

Cheers,
    -Sig

nicely Friend

Thanks for that , Sig. I totally understand what you’ve said. However, that does the opposite to what I want with the right menus. It removes the main menu listing but retains separate the sub menu listing when you click on any pages within the sub menu… I’ve taken a screen shot of what I mean.

Its this sub menu I want removing and the main menu staying 🙂

sigmyers Friend

Oh! My bad.

This scenario is kinda easy to do as well. First we’re gonna add all menus back in using a different method and then remove the ‘sub-menu’ which is displaying.

Under “Menus->Menu Manager” select the radio button next to “Main Menu”. On the upper right-hand corner you should see “Copy”. We’re basically gonna copy ‘mainmenu’ and call it ‘mainmenu2’ or whatever name. Now you can go to “Extensions->Module Manager”. You should see your disabled “Main Menu” module in there. Click that and you’ll see more detailed info about the module. On the right column, under “Parameters”, there should be a drop down box called “Menu Name”. Change this to your new menu name, “mainmenu2” or whatever you named it. Save it and then enable the module by clicking on the red ‘X’ next to the module’s name.

You should now see the top menu bar, sub-menu and the main menu.

To get rid of the sub-menu items, head to “Menus->Main Menu”. Remove all of the sub-categories of this menu and you’ll have no more sub-categories displaying, but on the right-column you’ll still see the original menu that you wanted to keep.

Hope this one makes sense! I’ll try not to leave two salutations this time, too.

Cheers,
    -Sig

nicely Friend

Thanks for that. I don’t think I made myself clear though :-[

I’ve taken another screenshot showing the current setup when you go to the ‘Therapies’ page. The top right menu is the one I don’t want. The bottom right menu and its sub menu are the ones I want to keep 🙂

I’m learning more with each of your replies though… 😎

sigmyers Friend

Hey there
    What I mentioned in my last post should do the trick for what you want–let me try explaining the idea in a different way. The basic idea is that you copy your current main menu, and on the original main menu, delete the sub-menu items (benefits of therapy, facial massage, etc.) and leave only the root menu items. Then you basically add a new menu module and refer it to the copied main menu which has been left unaltered.

The reason for this is that joomlart has coded the term ‘mainmenu’ to display like this–we’re basically doing a workaround and having two menus with the exact same stuff, only the ‘mainmenu’ that joomlart uses will only have the links to “Home”, “Opportunity”, etc.

I think if you check out my last post it should clear it up–let me know if it’s still giving ya grief 🙂

-Sig

nicely Friend

Yep, that works 🙂 To a degree…

Problem is that the top tab menu now works totally independent to the Main Menu. If you click on Therapies on the top menu, it fails to expand the sub menu in the Main Menu, and if you click Therapies on the Main Menu, the sub menu expands, but the top menu tab fails to highlight…. That also applies if you click any other items in the Main Menu.

sigmyers Friend

Hrmmm….. I didn’t think about the independency…

You could also try reverting everything back to the original, default way, and then checking out the CSS and doing a display:none; command in the right spot so that it will basically hide that sub-menu from ever appearing. That way, both menus will both work off the exact same id, and thus display the way you’re intending. I’m not sure exactely what spot of CSS code it would be though (I’m not much of a CSS guru, sadly). I’m thinking it’s most likely the following chunk of code:

<blockquote>/* SUB NAVIGATION
    ——————————————————— */

#ja-subnav {
    padding: 3px 5px;
    margin-top: 9px!important;
    margin-top: 11px;
    }

#ja-subnav h3 {
    padding: 0 0 0 4px;
    margin: 0 -3px 0 -3px;
    font-size: 11px;
    height: 20px;
    line-height: 20px;
    border: 2px solid #EEEEEE;
    font-weight: normal;
    color: #FFFFFF;
    }

#ja-subnav ul {
    margin: 0;
    padding: 0;
    }

#ja-subnav li {
    margin: 5px;
    padding: 0;
    background: none;
    }

#ja-subnav a {
    color: #333333;
    display: block;
    line-height: 20px;
    padding-left: 10px;
    border: 1px solid #FFFFFF;
    }

#ja-subnav a:hover, #ja-subnav a:active, #ja-subnav li.active_menu a {
    text-decoration: none;
    background: #FFFFFF;
    border: 1px solid #FFFFFF;
    border-left: 5px solid #666666;
    }
    </blockquote>

If you delete everything within the curly braces and try the display: none; command, it might do the trick. Any CSS guru’s out there that can make sure I have the right command & section of code??

nicely Friend

Yep, that was it! That code was in template_css.css. Kept the sections in place but replaced the code with display:none; and its sorted 🙂

Thanks for your help, Sig.

sigmyers Friend

No problem!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

This topic contains 11 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  sigmyers 15 years, 9 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum