Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Author

The purpose of the ‘Designed by Joomlart’ is advertising.

It has nothing to do with piracy or piracy prevention.

wooohanetworks Friend

It is not just about this but the whole deal about copyright removal.

jakerlund Friend

wooohanetworks:

Thanks for the tip about JoomlaXTC.com i didn’t know about that site… it looks very nice, i’m gonna check them out. ๐Ÿ™‚

Lets not do a PC vs Mac war thing… but sure you can get a cheap PC and not a cheap Mac.. but that is like comparing a nice BMW with a LADA or even a home built car.
    To compare fair you should compare a brand computer with a Mac… like a Dell with the same specs.
    Personally i use both but nowdays prefer OS X.

I can’t agree with you about people being diffrent to echother just because they have a specific computer or that because Apple has less customers they don’t bother with serials…. they allways try to make things easier for the customer and know that serials (or god forbid) activations don’t stop piracy.
    Also Apple prices on software are not higher than for windows… OS X only cost $129 and the complete iLife including lots of very good software only cost $79… compare that with Vista Ultimate and simular software as in iLife… then say they are more pricy ๐Ÿ˜‰

The more restrictions on what you are allowed to do with things the less likely you will use it.
    I hope that JA will step back on the licensing making it much simpler.
    I know it’s up to me to buy or not… or go elsewhere… but still :p

Meanwhile i will check out your tip about JoomlaXTC ๐Ÿ™‚

Cheers

cgc0202 Friend

<em>@scotty 115355 wrote:</em><blockquote>Yes you can do this. But you’ll have to validate each one with JA also. You can not re-distribute the template though ie. give it to someone else. As i said in the ‘too many downloads‘ thread, JA and similar companies have to rely of peoples honesty.

The developer info is in the developer FAQ…</blockquote>

Hi Scotty,

I missed the “too many downloads” thread. What is the link URL?

As I stated in a number of responses in a number of threads, including here, eventually it becomes a matter of ethics and personal integrity.

It is apparent from a number of postings for example — whether slips of the tongue or outright confessions — there are quite a few members here who have personal license, and yet use downloaded templates for clients. The operative term there is personal license.

How can people be so cheap, and try to justify that with indignation as to be wronged by Joomlart?

If someone designs website as a paid professional, or even if one does it for free, as some justified for using their personal license to share their templates:

First alternative: Why not just charge the template fee equivalent to the cheapest membership, and register the client’s name to have legitimate access to the desired template? This would be the right (ethical) thing to do for a professional website designer with not too many clients and does not want to bear the cost of a Developer license.

Better alternative. If one has enough clients, one should not be too stingy to register as a Developer. As you noted, a Developer has unlimited access to all templates.

The question now becomes: When is developer simply redistributing the templates and thus taking away business from Joomlart?

An example]:: When someone simply “distributes” the downloaded templates.[/B Indeed, one developer was stupid enough to confess this practice when he posted here that one gets a free Joomlart template or Rocket theme template, if the potential client becomes a web hosting client to the reseller account of the Developer. To compound the blatant act, the Developer (who is now not a member, I think) even used the Joomlart Forum to advertise his reseller hosting service.

I have criticized Joomlart many many times, when I thought they are not doing the right thing. However, when a Forum Moderator deleted the post (advertisement) of the Developer, the Developer (who is now not a member, I think) started posting all over the Forum, including the Public forum: “Pre-Sales Questions” and then publicly proclaimed that he was going to initiate a campaign outside of the Joomlart forums how bad Joomlart is in treating its customers.

I did not know his intention that much (as I do not follow the other Joomlart forums religiously), and became aware of him only when he injected his campaign to take away customers from Joomlart in response to one of the threads I initiated in the Teline II. He claimed that he wrote a review of another news-magazine template, from another company much better than Teline II. This was rather news to me at the time because I have searched at the time for good news-magazine templates, I even bought the iJoomla magazine product (but was not satisfied).

When I investigated further, it turned out that his review website was not only mediocre, the news-magazine template that he was plying as a better alternative to Teline II was not even a news-magazine template (because perhaps the Developer himself did not know the difference of a news-magazine template from a news template).and to top it of, it was appatent that he did not even review or looked at the template he was plying.

When I investigated his postings further, I uncovered his scheme. So I porked and roasted him like a pig — in a very gentlemanly and logical manner, of course — rebutting his claims against Joomlart and castigating him for plying his mediocre review.site and reseller business here. His vendetta became personal and became abusive, but I had no desire to respond further. Eventually, he went away.

Me, as a Developer. I decided to apply for the Developer license simply because I wanted to use the Teline II template for personal domains more than the limit allowed by Joomlart. I thought it was the right thing to do, I did create and manage another website for a friend, more as a “return gift” for her personally, although it was for her alumni group.n I even paid for all the costs — annual domain registration, webhosting fees, commercial plugins, etc. The group was so happy, they wanted to pay me to manage the page more actively but I told them “they cannot afford my fees”; when I declined, they offered to invite me as a guest in their re-unions but declined those too because they might construed that as a “quid pro quo” and would expect more long term commitment on my part.

If I do decide to offer my services to others — installing a Teline II template, using my own layout, including other plug-ins, extensions, etc. — would my doing so be construed as “distributing” a Joomlart template? I think not. With a Developer license, if I am not mistaken, I am allowed in fact, to remove all traces of Joomlart copyright even in the individual files. I have no intention to do that, even if I am allowed to, nor plan to remove those of Joomla either, or those of other products — commercial or free. Again, because it is the right thing to do.

The only thing I will not condone, especially if I paid for it, is a public display of such proclamations, especially because, in the case of Joomlart, the claim to “Designed by joomlart” does not give due credit to other developers of the software, especially Joomla.

Cornelio

scotty Friend

The ‘Too many downloads’ thread is at http://www.joomlart.com/forums/topic/how-many-downloads-is-too-many-downloads/.

This copyright removal topic could go on and on and on. At the end of the day Joomlart (or any company) can implement what ever user agreement they wish. If, when you sign up (or renew), you agree to these terms, then you are bound by them. First signing up and then saying ‘well I don’t agree’ is just silly. If you do not want ‘Designed by Joomlart’ on your site then you have 3 options ( and maybe a fourth).

1. Pay for the Designed by Joomart removal.
    2. Pay for a Developer License.
    3. Don’t sign up in the first place and don’t use Joomlarts templates
    4. This one I’m not so sure about. You could add style=”visibility: hidden” to the text. Technically you haven’t removed it although I’m sure Joomlart wouldn’t see it that way.

More often that not when you look at a live site where a Personal user had requested support the ‘Designed by…’ has either been removed or altered. I have no idea if ALL these users have paid to remove the text or not but I’ve never heard of Joomlart penalising someone either.

To be quiet honest if I were Joomla I’d just forget about leaving the text in. Quiet often the user has made such a mess of the site that the ‘Design’ is nothing to be bragging about. AFAIK very few clubs (if any) have this policy of leaving a link/ad in the template.

I also think, and this is something that Joomlart should really think about, that the money Joomlart generate by charging $40 to remove the link, is far outweighed by the amount of potential members that decide not to purchase a membership when they see they must leave this ad at the bottom of their site. In other words… I think it would actually be more profitable for Joomlart to allow people to remove this text.

Having said all that I still believe that Joomart (even with the extra charge for copyright removal) offer terrific value for the standard of templates on offer.

Viorel Anghel Friend

Terrific value – that depends of what do you want and what is your level of knowledge of joomla. For me – intermediate user – it’s not so terrific value. The support from Joomla Art is bad (I can compare it with Rocket Theme) some templates are to slow, no image sources, css are to complicated, forumโ€™s help is almost absent (if you compare with Rocket), bad organisation of child-forums etc

All the companies that sold Joomla templates make these templates for devellopers. It’s a non-sense to sell a membership to somebody that will make a personal website, with a single template. This person needs one template no 100.

For me, the copyright removal is a scam. I will preffer to pay more for my membership that to pay for this think. If for Rocket I was renewing my membership, I donโ€™t do this for Joomla Art.

Like manager, I think that Joomla Art is fixed to short term developement. Itโ€™s cheap. No vision, no future. They want 95$ for me in my first year and nothing after. The profitability for this kind of business is to keep your clients years after years. And you can keep your clients if these are happy.

– Sorry for my English ๐Ÿ˜‰ –

Urszula Dziki Friend

I just read this and I am also rocket themes member. I got used to them and how they provide supporting documentation. I like that very much However if it comes to templates – Joomlart rocks! So I am here because I love joomla art templates they are always unique and give me opportunity to make them as I want them. And I know I always will be coming back. It is competitive market and everyone has right to charge for products they believe it is right. I frankly don’t like people going and comparing issues of price. What is the point of that? You don’t want to – you don’t buy. It is simple as that. And if you made a choice it is not even nice trying to talk about few dollars. It is like buying anything else – you go buy a car and spend $5000 then you not pointing to another car and talk about price.

brianroe Friend

RIP OFF – Why are you forcing us to carry your Barnding – F**kning Bol**X I will stick to Gavick next time – bunch of shite.:((

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)

This topic contains 38 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  brianroe 12 years, 3 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum