Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

With all due respect to the author, please explain specifically what instruction number “3” refers to. I simply don’t understand what “typing your URL to the quickstart” means. Something is missing in this critical step, so please indicate what it keans and how to do it. Also, how does one install the sample data? Namely, how do you activate the option that enables you to install the sample data. Thanks for your assistance.

mj1256 Friend

what version of joomla are you installing. 1.0.15 or 1.5.X, who is you hosting company and do you have cpanel

first you need to create an empty MySQL database, remember the username, password, etc

then, if you have cpanel, upload the zip file and expand it

then type your url in the browser and this should launch the installation program

follow the prompts, make sure all the files a writable, enter your database information, then at some point after that you will see a button for install sample data, that will populate the database and just follow the prompts until done.

it installs just like joomla

mzaf Friend

I am using Joomla 1.5.6, attempting to install Teline II (ver 1.6) and my Host is Lunarpages. I loaded Joomla using fantastica (provided by my host’s cpanel) and the zipped directories and files to my …/public_html (per my host’s instruction). I followed your instructions (i.e. typed my url) but the installation menu did not acticate. So how do I install the sample data? Perhaps ( i am not sure) it is significant to note that I am able to access Joomla’s Administrator. Please Help! Thanks.

mj1256 Friend

you can’t use fantastico, the quickstart is a full joomla installation with everything already installed

upload the quickstart thru cpanel, then expand or unzip the quickstart on your server in the public_html folder.

then go to your url and the intsall will start, follow the prompts

did you make a database for the install, if not you need to do so, remember your username, password and database name, you will need it, after the database setup in the install, it will prompt you to install sample data.

dhuston53 Friend

<em>@mj1256 79653 wrote:</em><blockquote>you can’t use fantastico, the quickstart is a full joomla installation with everything already installed

upload the quickstart thru cpanel, then expand or unzip the quickstart on your server in the public_html folder.

then go to your url and the intsall will start, follow the prompts

did you make a database for the install, if not you need to do so, remember your username, password and database name, you will need it, after the database setup in the install, it will prompt you to install sample data.</blockquote>

I am equally lost. Why can’t Joomlart provide a free, clear, easy to follow, step-by-step installation manuel for its quickstart installations? I bet 50% of the questions on this forum are about this process. We all purchased your product b/c we like the design and we hope it will be useable.

Why do you make it so difficult to follow these directions? Most of us are inexperienced with cPanel. That’s just a fact. Learn to deal with it. Don’t act like we’re idiots because we don’t know our way around MySQL databases and stuff. Just explain it clearly–from beginning to end–and we’ll do our best to follow.

Is there anyone who speaks fluent English and can do this for Joomlart? They will lose lots of business if they can’t follow through with this simple request.

mj1256 Friend

<blockquote>Why can’t Joomlart provide a free, clear, easy to follow, step-by-step installation manuel for its quickstart installations?</blockquote>
    because you install it the same way you install joomla, fantastico is a 3rd party application and is not actually support by joomla either, if you know how to install joomla, you can install a quickstart.. its the same.

what your having trouble with is joomla , not the template or JA. be prepared for a trial and error period until you figure it out.

knowing your way way around cpanel, joomla and MySQL databases and stuff is your responsiblity. We do try to help here and i have tried to help you, but you should have at least a basic knowledge of this and joomla to use any template regardless of the provider.

I have thought of creating a detailed step by step, but i’m just a member of the forum like you and i just don’t have the time.

I could install it for you, it literally takes no more than 10 minutes, but you should keep trying until you figure it out.

here are some basic steps.
    1) download the quickstart package
    2) unzip to a folder on your hard drive
    3) go to your hosting companies cpanel
    4) upload the quickstart to your public_html folder
    5) leave it there
    6) go to you mysql databases
    7) create a new database
    8) create a database user
    9 assign that user to the database
    10) grant that user permissions to the database,
    11) go back to your zip file you uploaded
    12) highlite the zip file and click the expand button
    13) now in a browser go to your URL, the installation screen will appear
    14) follow the prompts
    15) have the database name, user, password and hostname available for the install setup for the database
    16) after the mysql connection is made you will see a prompt for install sample data
    17) click it, that will populate the database.
    18) follow the rest of the prompts
    19) delete the installation folded through cpanel
    20) done 😉

i did this of the top of my head, i don’t think i missed anything.

now…here is the step by step issue.
    some hosts don’t have cpanel, they may have plesk of a proprietary hosting manager.
    some hosts just plain suck, stay away from godaddy and the under 10 dollar a month hosts.
    some hosting companies don’t conform to standard internet protocols and server architecture.
    some won’t let you unzip a file, which means you would have to upload all of the joomla files manually
    some cap file transfer sizes, uploading and downloading
    some cap ftp connections and time
    some won’t give you access to important files like htaccess or php.ini

there are so many variables between hosting companies that no one can write a concise tutorial that even meets half of the hosting companies setups.

that is one reason your on you own for the how to’s other than, upload, make database, follow prompts, because we don’t know what your hosting company is doing.

and i get frustrated too and i know what i’m doing 🙁

tonyg Friend

Hi dhuston53,

I can appreciate your frustration but there is no need for that tone. MJ1256 has taken the time to go through the steps, so if you are still not clear about anything then just ask.

I highly recommend installing a local server, imagine being able to do almost all the things you can do on your Host server, on your own computer. The advantage and how much you can learn is blindly obvious, and it’s all free. For more info and download http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html

Now relax and stop spitting fire, because all of thses will become second nature in no time (LOL)

dhuston53 Friend

I may be approaching the root of my confusion! Thank you.

I had been thinking Quickstart for Teline II was just a rapid installation of the template.

I think that may be mistaken.

So, if I have a brand, spankin newweb site with nothing on it, and I want to install Teline II using Quickstart, should I FIRST install Quickstart? Or should I first install Joomla 1.5 (either manually or using Fantastico)?

In other words., is Quickstart a custom installation of Joomla 1.5?

That makes a big difference conceptually.

Thanks for all your help.

David Huston

mzaf Friend

Hi David,

Everything you expressed reflects my situation to a “t”. I hope that no one perceives our frustration at not acheiving the results we expected after following the instructions given as being disrespectful, thankless, or unappreciative because I am certain neither of us are that, For my part, I just didn’t expect to spend the time I am at installing a template. While I am not familiar with Joomla (but after going through their tutorial it seems fairly simple and the instructions are precise), I am able to follow instructions and more often then not acheive the intended results when they are precise.
    Anyway, to all those who are so gracious with their time and willing to assist those in need, thank you so very much. I am have not succeeded installing Teline II, but will keep following the advice of those who are willing to offer it until I get it. Yet I still don’t understand why the developers of the templates can’t offer a complete and precise documentation for installing the templates and spare everyone needless agrevation. Thanks again to you all and please don’t give up on us. Michael.

dhuston53 Friend

I just wanted to let everyone know that I was finally able to install Teline II Quickstart.

Thanks especially to mj1256 for all his/her help! Those step-by-step directions really made the difference.

Also, it is very important to grasp that the Quickstart package is NOT just a quickstart of the template but of Joomla 1.5 + the Teline II template. That should be made much clearer on this site I believe.

Also, I want to recommend a YiuTube video that really helps with another mystery that shuld not be mysterious–on ALL Joomla sites–installing a new site logo! I really think there should be a wizard for this. Everyone has to do it, but it takes too much technical knowledge to accomplish right off the bat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jekFLV1Ko4&feature=related

Also, setting up the data base is pretty tricky and tempermental. Do those steps very carefully.

And make sure you write down all the account names, db names, and passwords very carefully and store permanently. It’s a real headcahe when you lose those.

Thanks again, and good luck to others. There is hope. It really can be done w/o a Ph.D.

David Huston

mzaf Friend

Hi David,
    I was waiting for your feedback … I will also re-install everything using mj1256 instructions, and hopefully my problems will be resolved as well. It is strange that in the Quickstart instructions there is no mention that Joomla is also installed. By the way, do you know what version of Joomla is installed by the Quickstart?

jantunes Friend

sorry guys…. but if you take time to read the download section yiu’l, find there that

JA Teline II for Joomla 1.5 : (Quickstart included Joomla! 1.5.6 + Template, Extensions installation packages) (10.77 MB)

so Joomla is mentionned… Nobody said it was easy, but you will have to get to know cpanel, My SQL and some other stuff if you want to play along. And do read any piece of info you can get your hands on. One, two, three times…. because many things are explained there. Sometimes not in the best english, but it’s there.

And if it is not, look in the forums, and ask. But please do check everything before stating that one thing is not mentionned. We know Joomlart does not always do everything right but this time they did… For example they have not implemented as a regular feature a precise indication of the tempaltes updated a.s.o as suggested by some members. That would help us to keep things up to date.

And yes, Fantastico in Lunarpages (I also use the service) is always the last option. Once you get used to do things by hand, you will want to do it that way all the time. Updates, and everything… It just takes time to learn

have fun

ja

dhuston53 Friend

MZAF:

If you are using LunarPages, you need to be aware of a strange feature of their cPanel File Manager. To unzip the Quickstart zip file, you have to click the ICON, not the file name. This tripped me up for a while. Then, in the upper right hand corner, you will see a link to “Extract this file”. That’s the one you want to click. Then, open up the regular URL and follow the installation instructions. Finally, use the cpanel to delete the Installation folder–click on icon and use the link to delete. Very strange tool arrangement–at least from my Mac-centric perspective.

BTW, you need to uninstall any Fantastico installations of Joomla BEFORE you attempt this!!! Quickstart installs Joomla 1.5.6 I believe.

Good luck!

David Huston
    http://www.thegatorbyte.com (this will eventually be a high school student newspaper–wish us luck)

mzaf Friend

Thanks a million,

😀 Your instructions were simple, accurate – and in short – it worked!!! You are awsome. Your simple step by step instruction should be added to the Quickstart installation for those (like me) who would need it. Thanks again, and I am truly humbled. 😀

mzaf Friend

Thanks David,

I followed those instructions and it worked. I can’t believe how easy it actually was. As they say “almost is as good as a mile”, and that simple and accurate list of steps made a huge difference.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

This topic contains 16 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  mzaf 15 years, 7 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum