Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Fantastic product and thanks.

We are hosting a large amount of Joomla sites (since that’s all we do) and we’re currently using the Realtyna Maintenance Suite to push out Joomla core system updates from our main update server.

I noticed that the JA EMC is a pull model whereby the client pulls updates. Will the software be enhanced to where we can push out updates from a master console so that clients don’t have to worry about it? Our clients are very un-techy.

Thansk!

directive Friend

Hello; we are trying to do the same thing.

We run a large number of Joomla installs with various plug-ins, components etc. What would be ideal is a way to force Joomla, component and theme updates on designated customers.

Is there a way to set this up? Iā€™m a fairly learned Git user so I would be willing to do it from a command prompt screen if other options are not available.

Thank you!

P.S. Awesome component thank you developers!

Thanh Nguyen Viet Friend

<em>@WebJIVE 197544 wrote:</em><blockquote>Fantastic product and thanks.

We are hosting a large amount of Joomla sites (since that’s all we do) and we’re currently using the Realtyna Maintenance Suite to push out Joomla core system updates from our main update server.

I noticed that the JA EMC is a pull model whereby the client pulls updates. Will the software be enhanced to where we can push out updates from a master console so that clients don’t have to worry about it? Our clients are very un-techy.

Thansk!</blockquote>

The model that you suggest is not appropriate in our case.
    Since, we can’t ask all user to provide an information to access their site.
    And I can’t know which extensions that user want to update.
    It’s really an important thing to automatically update user’s site.
    Do you agree with my opinion?

Anyway, thanks for your comment.

Best regards,
    ThanhNV

WebJIVE Friend

When I say automatically update, I mean the core Joomla mostly. As far as having a login for pushing updates, we have that on all our sites already. It’s just a registered user and which only provides access to the joomla RPC mechanism for uploading files.

There are two different camps of Joomla users. Those we build sites for, and use Joomla as the core tech for the build (100% of our sites), and those who find inexpensive hosting companies because they know Joomla (we don’t have any of those customers).

We are the first so, our clients don’t want to, or care to keep their Joomla up-to-date, which is why we use the Realtyna Maintenance Suite but, that product has some drawbacks like, lack of interest by the developers for adding new features for companies like us.

What I have noticed over my 5 years of working with Joomla is, that people knowledgeable about Joomla hang out in forums like these so, we assume everyone doesn’t want this kind of control over their installation. This is to your point.

The reality is that 99% of the populous we’re building sites for, don’t know or care about maintaining Joomla and updating mods/components/plugins, they expect us to do it. So, we do for a much higher monthly hosting fee.

We just want an automated way of pushing core joomla updates and when needed, pushing plugins, mods, etc. to a select base that we use those add-ons for.

We don’t randomly add mods or plugins, etc. We stick with a core selection of these so that we can keep our support costs under control.

Other hosting companies (i.e. Godaddy, HostGater, etc.) let customers push a button and install Joomla but, they have no updating mechanisms so, if you install 1.5.15 and 1.5.23 is out, you the customer have to understand this and update it yourself.

Those are your 2 differing business models with Joomla in our opinion which is why we’re looking for a product suited to pushing updates (whatever it may be) to sites to keep them safe and updated.

korb Friend

Hi,
    So you need a solution for automatically updating the Joomla! core?
    Ok, let’s debate some ideas:
    – Cron Job?
    – Send user e-mail when new update is available?
    – Pull Joomla core new version files to overwrite the live site files?
    – Back-up existing files?

How do you see this feature? Let us know.

Regards,
    Danny

WebJIVE Friend

<em>@korb 212792 wrote:</em><blockquote>Hi,
    So you need a solution for automatically updating the Joomla! core?
    Ok, let’s debate some ideas:
    – Cron Job?
    – Send user e-mail when new update is available?
    – Pull Joomla core new version files to overwrite the live site files?
    – Back-up existing files?

How do you see this feature? Let us know.

Regards,
    Danny</blockquote>

I would think scheduling a Cron job to run after hours would be appropriate. Make so that you can group clients and schedule Crons to run on certain groups on certain days/times. This way you can pace a large upgrades. Also, this tool could push out new plugins, modules, etc. What would probably be optimal is an XML file with all the files (optional, you may want to do a SQL only) you want to over write along with a .sql file to update the DB if needed.

The email could be handled through normal maintenance email so, I can’t see this being a feature

Pulling the update, yes..

Backup existing files, not sure that would be helpful in a real hosting environment where we do backups every night. Some might find it useful but, it would be a minority I would think.

I would think the cron could also be used to update the domain reports with out of date installs and report (big wish here) what modules/components/plugins are installed per domain.

Ambitious? Yeah but, would be worth the money to have a REAL Joomla management system for Joomla only hosting and maintenance companies. When I say maintenance companies, this exact same tool could be used just for that whereby users could sign up for core updates from a third part. šŸ™‚

korb Friend

Sounds ambitious indeed. After a brief research into this development road, there is a BIG problem. We cannot go into this unless we find a reliable solution for the updates source.

JoomlaCode don’t have a fixed link for latest release update packs downloads.
    Any new release have a new link, therefore connection to download repository is always changed. Therefore, we cannot predict the next new release link in any way. Some suggested there could be helpful Joomla updates packages via RSS, that would do, but GForge does not provide such feature.

I just got a new idea: hosting companies can have their own repositories, with a similar structure as JA Extensions Manager would need to work with, so you will have to manually download from JoomlaCode, then manually upload to your repositories. An automated process will detect new version files in that repository and cron job will do the upgrade.

What do you think?

WebJIVE Friend

I agree that the JC is a moving target and was thinking a self maintained repository is the best route. Getting the JAEM to push new Joomla core updates would be awesome. From there, pushing other product updates could be a launching point.

As fast as Joomla is growing, I see a big need for this and several products have missed the mark including Jentla (we bought into that rip off) so, a company that can get behind this with a true management tool will have many hosting company fans.

Winchester Friend

Great thread. I believe that if something like this is built, it could become like the T3 framework. It doesn’t happen right away, but eventually extension developers, Joomla hosting companies and Joomla designer will will find the need for this system. Like WebJIVE said, there no one else doing it. They try something, but quits leaving an half finished solution.

Until it becomes popular, I figure we would have to update the system manually. Eventually, other developers will make their releases easily available for the system.

I like the way Akeeba Backup does theirs. Whenever there’s a new version available, it announces it in the component. They use RSS to alert the component about the updates. For some people, setting up a cron job is a nightmare, but Akeeba seems to figure out a way to automate their backup with their Lazy plugin.

Best regards,

Best regards,
    H. Winchester Lyon

directive Friend

We need this so bad šŸ™‚

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  directive 13 years, 1 month ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum