Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Purity demo site hacked????:((:((

1. Screenshot_2014-02-21-17-51-02
    TomC Moderator

YIKES – I will bring this issue to the immediate attention of the JA Development Team

Radonja Djurisic Friend

all templates not only Purity

wolfix Friend

<em>@dumpyman 412659 wrote:</em><blockquote>Purity demo site hacked????:((:((</blockquote>

I use to have a problem with my Joomla sites getting hacked until I changed the permissions to 770, with Apache as the group-owner.

770 is the hexadecimal code and the equivalent to: RWX,RWX,— or in other words: Owner (read, write, execute), Group (read, write, execute), Others (no access)

Most server control panels allow you to change file permission… navigate to the root folder of joomla and choose 770, but you must use the “Recursive” feature which will automatically change all files and folders to 770. If you don’t use Recursive, you will only change one file/folder at a time.

If you have access to command line you can navigate to the folder and change permissions…

Example:

cd /home/john/www/

(note: cd is the Change Directory command that allows you to navigate to a specific directory. You can also use the (ls – l)command, without the parenthesis, to view all files and folders in a specific directory.

chmod myJoomlaRootFolder -R myUserAccount:apache

(note: this command makes me owner and Apache group-owner of all files and folders. The -R makes it recursive so all files and folders are changed.

chown -R 770 myJoomlaRootFolder

(note: this command changes the permissions to all files and folder. The -R makes it recursive so all files and folders are changed.)

Others may have a better solution… but this has worked well for me… no more hacks.

Manos Moderator

We all know that in computers there’s always someone clever than you and me and can do nasty tricks.

The JA Team is already on top of the problem! Demo Servers are back online!

Hung Dinh Friend

Thank you everyone for the notice and I am extremely sorry for the concern you may have with Purity. It is not the template related issues, it is all about the server.

I have a long working session with our system admin, here are the details of how that hacker got into the Purity demo site:

Purity III is on the same server with one of very old site of our system at http://wiki.joomlart.com (powered by http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki) which somehow had been attacked about 3 hours before we were notified about the hacking message on the Puirty Demo. It was the same message we saw earlier today on wiki site.

WIth the access he had from wiki page, the hacker put this .htaccess file to the root of the server

RewriteEngine on
    RewriteRule ^index.php$ 1.html
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
    RewriteRule ^(.*)$ index.php?param=$1 [QSA,L]

As you can see, this will perform a complete deletion of all files and folder on the server. That’s pretty rude and meant of him

For the past 2 hours we have fixed the issues and all demos will be brought back in less than 1 hour. The system admin has changed all the access credentials, and is now performing a complete security check

So please don’t panic about Joomla or Purity, they are all secured. Next week, we will be separating the wiki page to a different server to make sure that it wont happen again.

Hung Dinh Friend

I hope the hacker can see this thread too. Have you seen my message on the bottom right of this page? No working during happy hours! This is not fun at all

if you want to do that, please keep calm and try it on Monday 🙂

Hung Dinh Friend

All Demos are up and running smoothly. Enjoy the weekend guys!

Radonja Djurisic Friend

guys i can still see …hack pages ?

Manos Moderator

<em>@tolja 412721 wrote:</em><blockquote>guys i can still see …hack pages ?</blockquote>

Hi, can you please let me know on which template ? ( or a link if you can)

Radonja Djurisic Friend

sorry for late response..
    i just saw..
    now it seams all ok

radu81 Friend

I’m afraid the demo site is hacked again 🙁

Manos Moderator

Our team is already on top of that.
    Thanks for reporting.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

This topic contains 13 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Manos 9 years, 12 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum