Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Hi y’all

I need some help with this nit picky problem I am having. I think it all has to do with image resizing, or the lack of. None of my images seem to resize on their own. I have tried to no avail to solve it myself but I guess it’s time to get some help.
    My website is http://www.combatgamerhq.com and I am using joomla 2.5 with ja business template 2.5,

Well the problem is, when I make an article and put it in the news category, I cannot also put that same article into my slideshow without the image in the slideshow being the wrong size and doesn’t look right. Before I switched to ja business with a fresh install, I previously had ja rasite and I was able to easily use a news article for my slideshow and all the images sized themselves or something?

I’ve come up with a work around for now, by duplicating all my articles and have to use different size images so it looks right. So I end up with like 4 of the same article to fill in all the sections of my site….. Which needless to say is not at all ideal and probably screws up all my search engine rankings as well. I apologize if there is something I am doing wrong but as I said I have tried and tried to figure it out and I just can’t…. Please help

P.S. Oh there is one other thing i’d like to ask while I’m getting help, I hope it’s not to much to have a double question in a topic, if so please ignore.

I was wondering if there is a way that when someone clicks my main news articles “readmore” link, that it would goto another “full version” of the article. Really this might be a part of the problem above, because if the images just resized themselves I could put a large image for the main article and it would just appear like the small one in my main content display.

I do not think it is ideal for my full articles to be stuck with the tiny picture that is put on the news content articles at the top. The work around I have found for now, is having people click read-more, then have to click again once inside to goto the main article. But having multiple versions of the articles is just not ideal I’m sure you agree. And it messed up my social bookmarking because I need it on the front page, but then I also need it in the main article, so it ends up being two different social bookmarks for the same article.

I hope I have explained this clearly enough to understand, if unclear just go check out my website and click on my articles and I think you’ll see what I mean. Thanks

swissa Friend

Hi,

I don’t have JA Business but I do have slideshow on 2 of my sites so maybe I can jog something for you. Who knows?!

First off check that all your directories are writable. Slideshow does send images to a resize folder so it needs write access. You can check @ System Information / Directory Permissions.

Then it is down to being methodical and comparing the demo to your site.

Here are the settings for the slideshow for your template – http://static.joomlart.com/images/templates/J16/JA_Business/010.png so you can compare settings.

And you can compare code here – http://www.joomlart.com/forums/topic/userguide-ja-business-template-for-joomla-2-5/

You can always go to demo builder and compare with the settings there too.

Lastly the final thing I would look at is in advanced options and try switching between source, crop and resize in the thumbnail mode.

Good Luck!

megazor Friend

Still can’t get it to work properly. No matter what I do. I have gotten to the point where I have found a work around for the slideshow images by having to using a certain ratio like the below post states.

But this does not solve my problem of the main news articles at all. Which really is more important since now I can’t make a decent article without ending up with either a giant picture in my main content, or a little tiny picture in the main article since they don’t resize on their own.

tessheywood Friend

I have been also using the JA Slideshow in the JA Business template. I had so many odd and inconsistent results, I logged in a problem but I have not received a response.
    These are the problems I had:
    – I would update text and it would not show up
    – I would change the picture and it would not change
    – Some pictures to zoom in to areas within the picture
    – Descriptions would disappear
    – I would delete an article but it would still show up
    – I tried cleaning cache with inconsistent results
    – Sometimes modifying the Slideshow settings would cause the results to “rebuild”, sometimes not
    This is what I found out about the module by trial and error (and using Firebug):
    – The images are automatically resized and placed in a directory under images/resized/images/
    – The module automatically creates a sub directory from your subdirectory name and places the resized images there
    – I used the Business profile and skin and found my images had to have a ratio of 3 to 2 (my images are 600px by 400px) to be compatible with the mask
    The fix:
    – While building the article text and testing the images, I had to set the Caching in the Advanced Settings of the JA Slideshow to: Don’t Cache
    – Occasionally I still have to change the settings of the JA Slideshow and save them (and reset the back) to get the “rebuild” of all the images and text.
    – I am able to use larger images and have the Slideshow size them smaller as long as I maintain the size ratio the mask expects.
    – Once complete, I set the Advanced Settings back to Cache.

I am still working with link issues as well.

megazor Friend

Thanks for your reply Tess.

Just discovered JA Thumbnail plugin is disabled maybe this is why? Gonna mess with it for awhile, it appears to be what I needed for my main articles.

Edit: yeah main articles seem to be resizing now. This is a relief. Sorry for ranting I just wish I could get more help from Joomlart. Ignore some of my last post I started deleting them myself haha. I knew I had to be doing something wrong.

But yeah the Slideshow still seems a bit buggy like you said Tess… But hopefully I can figure out a way to work with it or fix it somehow.

tessheywood Friend

I don’t have a JA Thumbnail plugin and I’m using thumbnails??? Did you try to set caching to “Don’t Cache” in the Advanced Settings? That fixed the problems with updates to the text, images, and thumbnails for me (although it should be set back to “Cache” when you’re happy with everything).

I finally got the links to an alternate document to work as well and I’m relatively happy now. I found the slideshow code converts some links in the articles it’s displaying to plain text. You can add a link to an external document if you select a portion of text in the article and add a link to it, like: “More …” But I’m not able to add an image button with a link. Also, if your article text is too long (the text sizing option in the slideshow doesn’t work well either), your links at the end will disappear or sometimes corrupt.

I’m sorry but I don’t think this is you. The business profile and skin has some quirks (if I can’t call them bugs). There are a number of frustrated posters but I suspect they have changed to another slideshow profile because the concerns don’t appear to be answered.

It’s a nice look but I sure wouldn’t turn this over to a client to make edits! >:(

bobstevens Friend

I’m using JA Business (1.5) with the slideshow. All I’m seeing is the thumbnails. The full graphic is not showing and the thumbnail is showing in both locations.

“Don’t Cache” is set in Advanced Settings.

Graphic Size:

How large are these graphics to be? The demo shows them to be 471 x 170.

Thumbnails: Should the system create its own thumbnails? I saw a reference to a JA thumbnail plugin and can’t find it.

Suggestions?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  bobstevens 11 years, 4 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum