Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • Author

Hi there, thanks to the creative geniuses at JoomlArt I managed to get my clients a really sweet website. Please check it out and vote for it as the Site of the Month! Be sure to click through ALL the sections!

😎

Here’s a screengrab to whet your curiousity!

CLICK HERE TO VIEW THE SITE

sfpkent Friend

Hi,

Great website, I like the color very much. They all very match. Good work!

jay973 Friend

Hi,

Nice looking site, good use of colours and it loads fast!

Cheers,
    Jason.

billyk Friend

thanks for your nice comments. i was wondering, though, i ran the site through wc3.org html validator and it came up with a bunch of errors. i heard that search engines shy away from mistakes like these, could someone tell me how to fix them?

<em>@jay973 95220 wrote:</em><blockquote>Hi,

Nice looking site, good use of colours and it loads fast!

Cheers,
    Jason.</blockquote>

jay973 Friend

Hi,

It doesnt look too bad, I found these errors and where they relate to:

Error for parsing property ‘width’ . Declaration dropped:
    <div class=”ja-box-full” style=”width: ;”>

You maybe need a closing ” after width.

Untermined string lateral:
    var gaJsHost = ((“https:” == document.location.protocol) ? “https://

_gat is not defined:
    var pageTracker = _gat._getTracker(“UA-81819-1”);

These 2 I’m not sure about.

Hope this helps,

Jason.

billyk Friend

than you man. i did manage to get all of the pages to validate after a little hard work, but the two you mentioned have me stumped. this is the code from the Google Analytics site. it was for the old site, meaning from before i launched this one. do i need to redo the tracking code?

<em>@jay973 95226 wrote:</em><blockquote>Hi,

It doesnt look too bad, I found these errors and where they relate to:

Error for parsing property ‘width’ . Declaration dropped:
    <div class=”ja-box-full” style=”width: ;”>

You maybe need a closing ” after width.

Untermined string lateral:
    var gaJsHost = ((“https:” == document.location.protocol) ? “https://

_gat is not defined:
    var pageTracker = _gat._getTracker(“UA-81819-1”);

These 2 I’m not sure about.

Hope this helps,

Jason.</blockquote>

jay973 Friend

Hi,

I’ve had a look around and found some solutions for you:

“_gat is not defined:” Just a small JavaScript addition can solve a minor bug in Google’s Analytics Script. If anybody has a common AdBlocker installed and visits your Google Analytics enhanced page, she will notice 2 errors, including the famous: β€œ_gat is not defined”. Looks like the google script does not validate if the actual tracking script is already loaded before it is executed.

As a quick work around add the following BOLD lines around your script:

<script type=”text/javascript”>

if (typeof(_gat) == ‘object’)
    {
    var pageTracker (YOUR TRACKING CODE)

}
    </script>

There is also a thread on Google groups which discusses and solves both errors:
    http://groups.google.com/group/analytics-help-troubleshoot/browse_thread/thread/e198d2892248a1a6

Hope this helps,

Jason.

cjmicro Friend

Billy, nice site!!

Curious as to which template you used. I think that is the challenge, to use the templates but not have them be so template-ish πŸ˜‰

Cheryl

jay973 Friend

Its JA Pariiti as far as I can tell.

billyk Friend

Jason is right (per below) and one can figure that out by looking at the source code.

Thanks Cheryl. i agree. the template is a great place to start, especially when you are really stupid about making your own! LIKE ME! So many JA users barely customize their templates at all…

<em>@cjmicro 95329 wrote:</em><blockquote>Billy, nice site!!

Curious as to which template you used. I think that is the challenge, to use the templates but not have them be so template-ish πŸ˜‰

Cheryl</blockquote>

questbg Friend

Hi billyk

It’s a really nice site, well designed and put together … top marks!

My only comment (as an ex-proofreader) would be the fact that you’ve used “goat’s” throughout the entire site, which implies (using an apostrophe before the ‘s’) that the products are all produced from one single goat. If it is multiple goats (as the photographs imply) the apostrophe should come after the ‘s’.

Sorry to nitpick!

Chris

sunrise Friend

I relaly like the site a lit, the colors, the layout, and the simplicity. You wrote “thanks to the creative geniuses at JoomlArt” . That sweet and all, but I have seen many joomlart sites that didn’t come anywhere near the one you made, so I think your creative genius had a lot to do with is too.
    πŸ˜€

billyk Friend

Hey Chris, never apologize for soliciting help. Either it’ll get taken or not. I don’t sit here and wait to judge people on their replies. I have reached a point in my career/life where I am way less uptight about what people say/do. That is unless I know absolutely that I am right! :p

That being said…eerrrggg…semantics! gotta love ’em…. Here in the US/CANADA, we say Goat’s (yes! singular!) in reference to the milk that is created from one or many animals. HOWEVER, it has been seen to be, Goat Milk, Goats Milk, and Goats’ Milk. My clients are Canadian, so I learned early on in the game to not question their preference in how they use the word…

Just out of curiosity I looked it up and on Wikipedia it’s used as, “Goat’s Milk”

Thanks again. It appears you’re a great resource on this site!

Will

<em>@questbg 95356 wrote:</em><blockquote>Hi billyk

It’s a really nice site, well designed and put together … top marks!

My only comment (as an ex-proofreader) would be the fact that you’ve used “goat’s” throughout the entire site, which implies (using an apostrophe before the ‘s’) that the products are all produced from one single goat. If it is multiple goats (as the photographs imply) the apostrophe should come after the ‘s’.

Sorry to nitpick!

Chris</blockquote>

questbg Friend

Hi Will

<em>@billyk 95394 wrote:</em><blockquote>My clients are Canadian, so I learned early on in the game to not question their preference in how they use the word…
    </blockquote>

That’s the most important factor. At the end of the day, the client is always correct … whether they really are or not!!

πŸ™‚

Never criticize the folks paying the bill πŸ˜€

Great site indeed and as for goat’s, goats’ or goats … it doesn’t alter the message!

Best Wishes
    Chris

questbg Friend

PS. Forgot to say. If you don’t enter your site for the January Site of the Month competition, do you mind if I nominate it?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)

This topic contains 35 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  Phill 13 years, 3 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum