Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Hi

I have had issues upgrading my website from 1.6.6 to 2.5.3 so I decided to manually upgrade it using instructions from :
    http://www.hostknox.com/tutorials/joomla/upgrade/16-to-25/manual

After completing all the instructions I receive a “Internal Server Error”. Is anyone able to assist me please? I cannot get to the website or the Administration module 🙁

Please help!

Phill Moderator

How did you update? If you used the one click update it may have been that some of the files did not copy accross well. In that case your best bet would be to download the packages from Joomla.org and manuallt ftp them up overwriting your existing files.

Upgrading from Joomla 1.6 to 2.5 is not a simple task with a lot of files to update so sometimes it does go wrong. In addition, you must go via Joomla 1.7 as detailed here – http://www.ostraining.com/blog/joomla/upgrade-joomla-16-to-25/
    I hope you followed step 1?

boost_it Friend

Hi Phil

As I specified in my original post I did manually upgrade.. I picked up the 2.5.3 stable update package from http://joomlacode.org/gf/project/joomla/frs/?action=index and FTP all files across, them manually deleted all files and folders specified in public_html/joomla/ administrator/components/com_admin/scripts.php and then ran the SQL queries in the update package directly via PHPMyAdmin.

boost_it Friend

And yes I did a manual backup of all the files and a database backup via PHPMyAdmin before I started. I ldidn’t restore the website hoping that someone from Joomlart may be able to look at the upgraded website and advise why it is not working.

Phill Moderator

Yes, but did you go to J1.6.5, then to J1.7 etc? From what I understand that is an important step.

Forst thing I would do is roll back to a backup from before the attempted update. Then go through it step by step.

Phill Moderator

Another option would be to look at the servers error logs. A 500 error could be almost anything but the logs will point to the culprit.

boost_it Friend

Thanks Phil. Will check server logs as I did upgrade step by step (first to J1.7 etc). Hopefully the server logs will point me in the right direction.

boost_it Friend

Hi Phil

I successfully restored back to Joomla 1.6.6 and then I followed the directions in the link you provided (http://www.ostraining.com/blog/joomla/upgrade-joomla-16-to-25/).

It seems upgrading to Joomla 1.7.0 is the issue. I have changed error.php file file located in /libraries/joomla/error/ to provide more detail.

I was previously only receiving the following message when browsing to the website: 500 – An error has occurred. Unable to load Cache Controller: callback.

I’m going to PM you the much more detailed error. I cannot decipher what the issue is. Something to do with the cache.. Please have a look and tell me if you can pinpoint the problem.

Your assistance is much appreciated!

Phill Moderator

I have had a quick look but I cannot even install and run Akeeba to get a copy of your site due to problems with your server –

“jQuery and/or jQuery UI have not been loaded. This usually means that you have to change the permissions of media/com_akeeba and all of its contents to a least 0644.”

Or I get 500 errors. This has to be a server issue so there is not a lot I can do to help. My best suggestion would be for you to install your site on a local install and try and upgrade there.

boost_it Friend

Hi Phil

If I provide the FTP credentials, you can take a copy of the files and the database dump.

If the website is upgraded site successfully after restoring for example locally or a different web host, can it then be restored over the top of the existing environment?

Not sure what you mean there’s issues server side.. can you explain further please? Do hosting providers usually put jQuery on the webserver but in this case its missing? Is this what’s causing all the issues?

Phill Moderator

I really cannot do the upgrade for you, that is a little beyond what the support here is for*. I have seen that you have some permission problems as can been seen from my message above. Had I been able to install and run Akeeba then I would probable have tried to upgrade your site locally for you then provide you with the updated archive.

Jquery is a file, nothing to do with the server but the errors you are seeing are server related You seem to be getting all sorts of 500 errors from your Joomla back end which as they are coming from a number of sources (eg Akeeba etc) it is almost certainly a server configuration problem. hence the idea that you try the upgrades locally. If it works locally then you can rule out any site related problems aconcentrate on server related problems. I rarely use IIS so am not the best person to do diagnosis on that.

*It is not that I do not want to, it is just that it would in all likleyhood take a number of hours work.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

This topic contains 11 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Phill 12 years, 1 month ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum