Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

For all those Newbies out there like me having trouble with the source folder and header – wide not showing up. I know ShannonN is geting frustrated with many of the same questions. If you use Photoshop Elements it does not support grouped layers. This a quote from the help section of Photoshop Elements. >:(

“Photoshop Elements doesn’t support layer groups and displays them in their collapsed state. You must simplify them to create an editable image.”

So you will not see an arrow next to the eye for the grouped layers to be exposed. I don’t know what version of photoshop to get to get grouped layer support? Can anyone help me out here? Doing web pages is not my career, I just do it for the family but I am always wanting to learn. I ask that you veterans of Joomla and Photoshop be kind us novices. 😀

I apologize for the lack of knowledge in this area but Joomlart has been very helpful and my web pages looks better than ever, since changing to joomla and using Joomlart templates.

Thanks in advance

instantinlaw Friend

Hi
    I know that version 7 and CS2 both do what you want, and probably so do 5 and 6.
    I don’t know if the free program GIMP does but I will take a look and let you know.

instantinlaw Friend

Here is a short list of features for GIMP
    GIMP can be downloaded HERE

For those of you who don’t know about GIMP it is a GNU image editing program aimed at those who don’t want to spend hundreds of dollars on Photoshop. It is supposed to do most of the stuff that Photoshop does.

1.3. Features and Capabilities

The following list is a short overview of some of the features and capabilities which GIMP offers you:

• A full suite of painting tools including brushes, a pencil, an airbrush, cloning, etc.
    • Tile-based memory management, so image size is limited only by available disk space
    • Sub-pixel sampling for all paint tools for high-quality anti-aliasing
    • Full Alpha channel support for working with transparency
    • Layers and channels
    • A procedural database for calling internal GIMP functions from external programs, such as Script-Fu
    • Advanced scripting capabilities
    • Multiple undo/redo (limited only by disk space)
    • Transformation tools including rotate, scale, shear and flip
    • File formats supported include GIF, JPEG, PNG, XPM, TIFF, TGA, MPEG, PS, PDF, PCX, BMP and many others
    • Selection tools including rectangle, ellipse, free, fuzzy, bezier and intelligent
    • Plug-ins that allow for the easy addition of new file formats and new effect filters

Good Luck

ShannonN Friend

jandkod;16612For all those Newbies out there like me having trouble with the source folder and header – wide not showing up. I know ShannonN is geting frustrated with many of the same questions. If you use Photoshop Elements it does not support grouped layers. This a quote from the help section of Photoshop Elements. >:(

“Photoshop Elements doesn’t support layer groups and displays them in their collapsed state. You must simplify them to create an editable image.”

So you will not see an arrow next to the eye for the grouped layers to be exposed. I don’t know what version of photoshop to get to get grouped layer support? Can anyone help me out here? Doing web pages is not my career, I just do it for the family but I am always wanting to learn. I ask that you veterans of Joomla and Photoshop be kind us novices. 😀

I apologize for the lack of knowledge in this area but Joomlart has been very helpful and my web pages looks better than ever, since changing to joomla and using Joomlart templates.

Thanks in advance

I hear what you are saying and appreciate not everyone can afford to buy PS or FW, I don’t get sick of the same questions, just feel that sometimes ppl give up a bit too easy before exploring all the available options before posting 😀

As far as I know the Gimp is a very good open source editor, many ppl using LFS use it to make skins for the cars, so I know it must support layers and is photoshop compatible, having read some of the guide and looked at the documentation download it.
    Cheers ShannonN

jandkod Friend

Downloaded GIMP. Yes it does support layers, but doesn’t group them together in folders. It shows all the layers at one time. It looks like a nice program with lots-o-support. I went to some support pages and found this:

Comment #43 from Raphaël Quinet (reporter, GIMP developer, points: 19)
    2007-05-08 19:04 UTC [reply]

(In reply to comment #42)
    > So, how’s it going? Are there any group layer support coming in any foreseeable
    > future?

Yes, foreseeable but distant future. The support for layer groups will not be
    included in GIMP 2.4, but may be part of 2.6 or a later version that integrates
    GEGL.

I will try to see if I can turn off the warm only and work on the fresh.

My friend had photoshop 5.5 and it came up with an error “too many layers” :laugh:

I will try and plug away at it. Thanks for the help

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  jandkod 16 years, 11 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum