Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Hi JA Team,

Some day ago, Virtuemart Developer team has release VM 2.0. Can you provide VM 2.0 template for JA_Tiris, Mesolite II, or next online store JA template release?

country212 Friend

I would sure like for the JA Mesolite II Template to be updated to work with the new virtumart / joomla sometime in the future. I love the template.

TomC Moderator

Good things come to those who wait . . . . . I am quite confident a VirtueMart 2.0 JATC Template is in the works.

😎

tfosnom Friend

Let’s hope JA can get VM 2 working with J2.5 on nex I cannot get it happening keeps crashing on many setup functions, noticably payment & postage items just crashes at they config point. But Hikashop does work well and has many built in payment plugins.

While VM is the major hope, after the abortion that Joomshopping was (support wise from devs NOT JA). we do need a decent cart.
    Shane

Phill Moderator

Currently Hikashop does look the best option. Not ony does it have great support but it has loads of payment gateways out of the box.

All of the others so far seem to be falling short in so many ways. Hikashop is not perfect but it is the only one that IMHO has a developer that really is passionate about making a great product.

TomC Moderator

<em>@phill luckhurst 301378 wrote:</em><blockquote>Currently Hikashop does look the best option. Not ony does it have great support but it has loads of payment gateways out of the box. All of the others so far seem to be falling short in so many ways. Hikashop is not perfect but it is the only one that IMHO has a developer that really is passionate about making a great product.</blockquote>
    As is the case with the classic MAC vs PC debate, this too is a matter of opinion.

In MY opinion – in having checked out Hikashop a bit (with what limited resources there currently are), I find it to be somewhat limiting, comparatively, in terms of extendability and theme development. The jury is still out – for me – with regard to VirtueMart 2 … as it seems many are still becoming accustomed to the new template structure workings and such.

I will say, though, that I HAVE seen some nice initial theme development for VM2 from some of the established VM theme developers out there.

Just another opinion and thought process to offer as part of the discussion.

Phill Moderator

I do agree with you Tom. Sadly (and I mean sadly) support for VM has been a little lacking in the past which will hopefully change with the new team on board. For the moment they are severely lacking in payment gateways with most of the payment providors not yet available. I am sure over the coming months that will change as we are still in the early days. As we all know, VM has been the most popular of all of the shopping extensions for Joomla. Hikashop is really building momentum though.

I have helped develop over 20 VM based sites over the years and really hope the new team can grow into something special. For now though I am using Hikashop on a couple of sites because I need the features VM2 is lacking now, not in a few months time.

tfosnom Friend

I think while Tom has valid thoughts, Phil has kinda boiled it down to what I am experiencing, VM is almost always going to be first choice, based on previous popularity and third party development. but only when it works outta the box with j 2.5 and has free / paid plugins for more than just PayPal.

I need a cart that fulfils my needs in terms of now not when VM et al have sorted all the bugs and incompatibilities out. In that regards hikashop does sit on top today. Perhaps JA may do well to implement hikashop into their carts until VM has more support and compatibility which may take more than just a few months (6)? to accomplish.

Shane

TomC Moderator

<em>@tfosnom 301549 wrote:</em><blockquote>
    I need a cart that fulfils my needs in terms of now not when VM et al have sorted all the bugs and incompatibilities out. In that regards hikashop does sit on top today.
    Shane</blockquote>
    Okay then . . . can someone point me/us in the direction of some decent theme and extension developers for Hikashop?

tfosnom Friend

Hi Tom
    Try Google maybe LOL 🙂

Tom obviously you love VM, we all prefer it if possible. but no matter how many great looking templates the VM template makers are building for VM2,or plugins/extensions; if the core product (VM2) doesn’t work with Joomla 2.5 which it doesn’t in my testing atm, then those great templates etc are impossible to implement and not very useful to us atm.

Hikashop may not be YOUR cup of tea, given maybe your great experience, knowledge of VM, but as you are fond of saying with templates, “it’s only a starting point”, perhaps if more ppl gave other shopping carts; than the be all to end all VM a decent chance to be developed, opinions may change. I’m sure you, a skilled developer of web sites, can use hikashop to create a fully functioning cart? It may not have the 3rd party modules etrc available, but then . . . if all the hikashop development is kept in house, the problems faced by VM2 developers such as compatibility , css, jquery conflicts etc are less likely to happen?

The more ppl that start to use newer, less popular carts that have a strong support from their respective developers often free support unlike Joomshopping, will help replacement products for todays classics become as popular. Don’t use it or support it and it dies.

Where would joomla be today if everyone only used Drupal a few years ago, or stayed with the standard Dreamweaver .asp development methods?

All this is of course my own opinion, many have different ideas and implementations, I welcome these clean, non threatening discussions of different methods, product and implementations, it all serves to further web development.
    Shane

TomC Moderator

<em>@tfosnom 301732 wrote:</em><blockquote>
    All this is of course my own opinion, many have different ideas and implementations, I welcome these clean, non threatening discussions of different methods, product and implementations, it all serves to further web development.
    </blockquote>
    That’s all I was trying to be – clean/non-threatening.

I never said I “love” VirtueMart. Truth be told, I think VM leaves much to be desired . . . as does JoomShipping, RedShop and HikaShop. I actually very much like Magento … but, in it’s own ways, Magento can be a bear to work with as well.

The bottom line is that it really all comes down to what one can work with and what WORKS for each person. If it’s HikaShop … fiantastic. If it’s VirtueMart … great. If it’s Magento … go for it.

😎

zao dao Friend

Virtuemart2 is really good extension,and will become popular if it realease 2.5 version.
    Virturmart is full opensouyrce and free,and joomshopping has paid version,so designer and extension developers will choose virtuemart2

www.8media.com
    www.zaodao.com

Phill Moderator

You will all be glad to know that our JA Orisite template now has VM2 support. Check out our Demo.

http://www.joomlart.com/demo/#joomla25-templates.joomlart.com/ja_orisite

TomC Moderator

<em>@phill luckhurst 307460 wrote:</em><blockquote>You will all be glad to know that our JA Orisite template now has VM2 support. Check out our Demo.

http://www.joomlart.com/demo/#joomla25-templates.joomlart.com/ja_orisite</blockquote>
    Why didn’t I get my memo ??? :((

:p

Phill Moderator

Great news isn’t it Tom. The implementation is superb.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

This topic contains 15 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Phill 12 years, 1 month ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum