Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • Author

Thanks for replying. I know that “general impression” is something that inevitably counts but if I look back some years at the desings I liked, I must say there are some really horrible pieces among my former favorites. 😮

markb1439 Friend

bernhar,

Good point!

TomC Moderator

<em>@markb1439 74947 wrote:</em><blockquote>That’s YOUR opinion. A QuickStart package looks to me like a ready-to-go / turnkey website…replace the demo content with your own, and you’re up and running. That seems to be the general concept.[/quote]
    A template is a form, mold, or pattern used as a guide to making something. The concept of a quickstart package is to provide the user with SAMPLE content from which to modify and learn from (function wise).

This is not the JoomlART “Turnkey Website” Club or the JoomlART “Built-To-Go” Website Club.

markbWhy would someone expect a template NOT to be a turnkey solution?[/quote]
    Because it is not – again, by definition … A template is a form, mold, or pattern used as a guide to making something.

markb Sure, you have the ability to customize it. But many people use templates because they CAN BE a ready-to-go solution. Maybe I’m missing something, but the whole concept of a template seems to be an alternative to building a site on your own. [/quote]
    You are missing something, because the concept of a template is to be a STARTING POINT form which someone creates something – a pattern, if you will. A person still needs to understand how the guide works in order to modify/customize it to his/her needs. Sometimes the modification is more subtle than others – but modification nonetheless.

Many, many people choose templates because they don’t want to deal with CSS or certain other aspects of developing websites. Because you don’t choose to use that approach, you criticise those of us who do.

Yet the Forum is strewn with people wanting help with CSS and other aspects. If they didn’t want to deal with it, then why bother posting for help on how to achieve certain results? you HAVE TO deal with CSS and other aspects in order to modify/customize these TEMPLATES to suit whatever SPECIFIC PURPOSE you are using the base template for. You cannot get around it – plain and simple.

Just because YOU think a template is only a starting point, that doesn’t mean others are wrong for viewing them as “QuickStart” turnkey sites.

Actually, it does … because they are not. Furthermore, it is unfair for people to complain that a particular template is not as “turnkey” as they would like when the TEMPLATE coupld be what they want with some time and effort.

What ever happened to putting forth an effort to LEARN things?

If you want to do more customization, more power to you. But quit criticizing those of us who use templates as near-ready-to-go solutions.</blockquote>
    “Near ready to go” is quite different than “built-to-go” or “turnkey” solutions.
    I don’t think you understand the difference.

VisiGod Friend

<em>@tcraw1010 74961 wrote:</em><blockquote>A template is a form, mold, or pattern used as a guide to making something. The concept of a quickstart package is to provide the user with SAMPLE content from which to modify and learn from (function wise).</blockquote>

And of course this is only YOUR PAID opinion.

markb1439 Friend

Tom,

Again, this is all YOUR opinion and the way you choose to utilize templates. Other people have different approaches, and you simply cannot respect the opinion of anyone who has a different approach than your own. You say that criticism should be constructive and respectful, then you berate and pick apart any opinion that is different than your own. You insult my intelligence (for example, telling me that I don’t know the difference between “near-ready-to-go or turnkey solutions,” and in a different thread you even questioned my integrity for no valid reason.

I respect your choice to use templates as a starting point. Respect my choice to use templates as a near-ready-to-go solution. Plain and simple.

TomC Moderator

<em>@VisiGod 74964 wrote:</em><blockquote>And of course this is only YOUR PAID opinion.</blockquote>
    Wrong again – http://searchsoa.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid26_gci213117,00.html#

Incidentally, who is “paying” me?

:confused:

markb1439 Friend

Off-topic, here’s an interesting URL:

http://www.rocketthemetemplates.com/

jwellman Friend

Rebecca and I have been reading the “Soap Opera” most of the day. Not only on this topic but several others. We’ve come to the conclusion that if we could both stand and pee we would undoubtedly join this pi**ing contest, but since we are having so much fun watching you guys, we will just get out our lawn chairs and watch the yellow whiz by. :p

Hey Becca… I just saw a rainbow on that one. 😀

TomC Moderator

<em>@jwellman 74970 wrote:</em><blockquote>Rebecca and I have been reading the “Soap Opera” most of the day. Not only on this topic but several others. We’ve come to the conclusion that if we could both stand and pee we would undoubtedly join this pi**ing contest, but since we are having so much fun watching you guys, we will just get out our lawn chairs and watch the yellow whiz by. </blockquote>
    Enjoy – perhaps you’ll learn something.

😎

markb1439 Friend

Tom,

There are many ways that the term “template” can be interpreted. For example, one of your provided definitions:

<blockquote>A document in which the standard opening and closing parts are already filled in is a template that you can copy and then fill in the variable parts.</blockquote>

I could interpret that to mean that I use the graphical template as-is and insert my content (the variable parts).

Also, here is a very good summary of what web templates are (in my opinon, at least):

http://www.templatesfactory.net/articles/what-is-a-web-template.html

Specific to CMS systems, they only say that content modification is necessary.

My point is that people have different interpretations of what a template is or how they choose to use it. You consistently criticize those who don’t share your opinon, and that just isn’t fair.

And with that, out of respect for others who are getting tired of our exchanges, I drop out of this p***ing contest because I can’t win with you anyway. You don’t offer constructive criticism and you don’t respect others’ opinions, so it’s pointless to argue. Again, I respect your choice to use templates as starting points. But I am free to use them as near-ready-solutions, and I resent you saying that I am wrong to make that choice. You can’t shove your opinion down everyone else’s throats.

Did you see a rainbow on that one? 😉

jwellman Friend

Enjoy – perhaps you’ll learn something.

Yeah you’re right… I always have wanted to learn how to pee in the vertical position. I hope there is snow around when I finally get the hang of it. :p

Yes Mark! I believe it was your rainbow that I saw! 😀

markb1439 Friend

<blockquote>
    Yes Mark! I believe it was your rainbow that I saw!</blockquote>

Thanks! 🙂

BTW, your site is beautiful. I admire the dignity and grace with which you obviously live your lives.

VisiGod Friend

Hehe, http://www.rocketthemetemplates.com/ is absolutely not ethical.
    That type of behavior is unacceptable IMO.

jimbogogo Friend

There’s nothing wrong with this template. Sure it’s not flashy but not everything has to be in your face loud. I may actually use this template for an upcoming project because of it’s simplicity.

oxygenhc Friend

Although not lawyers or legal experts the url link brought to attention by a poster above at http://www.rocketthemetemplates.com which points to joomlart’s front page is a breach of trade practice in some people’s view and should be looked at by the management of Joomlart.

This type of behaviour even if no-one from this template club had any involvement is unacceptable and degrades everyone in the processes.

C/- oxygenhc

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)

This topic contains 34 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  Hung Dinh 15 years, 8 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum