Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Hi! I just installed the latest version of joomla, and installed your ja_spica template (the three column version) afterwards. However, when I checked if its valid xhtml 1.0 transitional at http://validator.w3.org, the following errors were displayed:

Error Line 146 column 4: end tag for “ul” which is not finished.
    </ul> </div>

Error Line 153 column 4: end tag for “ul” which is not finished.
    </ul> </div>

I haven’t made any changes to the template’s index.php file, so I’m not sure if the template is simply not compatible with the latest version of joomla.

The good news is that insofar as the website’s display is concerned, everything still looks fine. However, I’ just not comfortable with the errors.

I hope you could help me with this.

Thank you.

antoniu1 Friend

HI!

You are correct. When you press the two verification buttons at the bottom, you read that there are errors. These are IE5 problems only and you can ignore them. I have tested the template very well and there are some flaws and shortcomings, but they are correctable.

deng Friend

Hi!

Yes, I am using IE5. Could tell me how you corrected the problems. I’m not really an expert when it comes to validating xml, but I know the basics like making sure tags are properly closed, etc.

For human visitors, it doesn’t seem to be a problem at all since everything loads fine. I’m just concerned about how search engine spiders would view them.

I’m actually thinking of reinstalling joomla 1.0.9 since the template validates with that version. Hope joomlart people can come up with a fix cause I really like the template.

deng Friend

Hi again!

I’ve figured it out.

Thanks!

Hung Dinh Friend

Sometime we can not validate xhtml 1.0 transitional because the html codes of content are not clean enough, though the JA Spica was released when J! is only at 1.0.9 but I can confirm that the template itself is validated.
    Can you show us the URL to check where the errors are found?

antoniu1 Friend

dengHi again!

I’ve figured it out.

Thanks!

Great, have fun!
    Tom

antoniu1 Friend

Hi Hung,

When you open index.php in Dreamweaver, it shows 2 errors, but the template loads perfectly, no problems there. They are only IE5 errors. The lines that cause it are 162 and 167:

<div id=”ja-spotlight-1″ style=”width: <?php echo $divwidth ?>; float: left;”>

Further the following 5 errors in template_css.css:

Line 252, 650, 805, 900:
    Error: Value ‘inline’ is not supported for CSS property display [Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0]

Line 362:
    Error: Value ‘dotted’ isn not supported for CSS property border-bottom [Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0]

Line 900:
    Error: Value ‘inline-table’ is not supported for CSS property display [Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0, Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5, Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0, Netscape Navigator 6.0, Netscape Navigator 7.0]

That’s it! Hope it helps.
    Tom

P.S. I really hope to receive some respons to my mails and posts by the way Hung. Most if it I solved or changed, but some problems remain.

Hung Dinh Friend

Hi Tom,
    I think that only 1 out of 500 internet users use IE 5.0 at this time, most of people are using IE 6 by now…
    To make the template we have to use quite new CSS settings which is not recognized by IE 5, such settings are not errors but not well supported by IE5.

the index.php file is a combination of CSS, PHP and HTML and sometimes the error validation of Dreamwaver is not always right. It should validate the HTML codes result rendered by the browsers rather the php codes.

Please let me know if you have any other question

antoniu1 Friend

Thanks Hung,

Personally, I don’t care about these errors. The template works perfectly! I just gave this info to you so you could do something with it if you wished to.

Enjoy your day!
    Tom

deng Friend

Hung DinhSometime we can not validate xhtml 1.0 transitional because the html codes of content are not clean enough, though the JA Spica was released when J! is only at 1.0.9 but I can confirm that the template itself is validated.
    Can you show us the URL to check where the errors are found?

Hi! I just wanted to let you know that the template works fine now. It seems that the problem was with an adsense module that I published and not necessarily with the template. Thanks for your time.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

This topic contains 10 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  deng 17 years, 9 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum