Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

I’m in the process of upgrading a site from 1.5 to 2.5. I’m having a lot of trouble getting the Helio template working. Right now, I’m trying to get the menus working

This is what the non-upgraded site looks like:
    http://www.cachecanada.org/1/

Here is the upgraded copy:
    http://www.cachecanada.org/1/jupgrade/

I should mention that I did not build this site, I was brought on to migrate the site. jUpgrade was not able to complete the migration so I am still manually dragging over files and extensions.

Thanks!

Phill Moderator

Sadly Helio is not supported on Joomla 2.5 at this time. Currently JA are still deciding which of the older templates to update. So far over 30 are now available for Joomla 2.5 so now might be a great time to go for a fresh new look.

The dseign is quite simple and should be relatively simple to come close to using JAT3 and one of the existing templates as abase to start with.

cachecan Friend

Interestingly, I asked before playing for the membership if I would be able to upgrade and this is the response I received.

There are no plans to update Helio to 2.5 in the foreseeable future…but it is possible to do the migrate what you have up through the Joomla hierarchy. As a Joomlart subscriber you would have available our support staff to help you work through any issue with the template.

Look forward to having you aboard!
    John.

You can see the conversation here… http://www.joomlart.com/forums/topic/wondering-if-helio-template-will-be-updated/#post-437075

Phill Moderator

And that is still the case, Helio is not yet J2.5 compatible. What John is referring to is all your data etc. For Helio to work as it is a lot of work would need to be done but but getting a similar look using JAT3 should be relatively simple, a lot easier than converting the old template code.

As per above, getting the look you are after or close to it should not be too complicated using one of the new templates along with a little work adjusting the styling.

cachecan Friend

Thanks for your response, but I do think he could have been much clearer in his response. I’m not sure what you mean by JAT3. Is it this: http://www.joomlart.com/blog/jat3-framework/usertheme

Phill Moderator

Yes, JAT3 is the framework all our new templates are based upon. As well as providing a lot of new features it also makes updating when a new version of Joomla is available a lot easier as most of the work is done in the framework while the styling is in the template. More often than not it is just the framework plugin that needs updating rather than the whole catalogue of templates. Of course, JA then have to test every template as before and make minor tweaks but that is life.

As for starting with a similar look maybe take JA Erio and make some css adjustments. While the look would not be exactly the same I reckon a few hours is all it would take to get a similar feel to your current JA Helio based site. Have a think about it. If you give it a go and get stuck anywhere feel free to ask and we will try to assist.

A couple of tips as you are new to JAT3. Firstly install the quickstart on your local machine using WAMP or similar so you have something to compare to. The menus especially need careful setup to replicate our demo etc and the quickstart is a good guide. Second is to disable all caches especially the new JA ones in the template manager and that includes setting css and js optimization to “No” (also in the template manager). If you do not do that when you inspect the css in tools such as firebug you will see the cached and compressed versions rather than the actual source.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Phill 12 years, 1 month ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum