Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Hi guys. The new template looks good. I already have my site running of JA Teline III. I want to run the new template. Can someone explain in very simple terms what I need to do so I don’t lose all my articles and data when I start using version IV?

Jim

wombat1 Friend

The official method is to upload and configure the template and components as per user guide (use a backup copy of the original site if you do this) … but, it was much easier in my case to install a quickstart and use phpmyadmin to transfer articles, users and menu from the old database to the new one. If you have additional components such as jomsocial etc, you will need to copy over those tables also, make sure you have installed these additional components to the new site before importing the database tables for them.

First rule of thumb always make a backup first.
    Second is that although its recommended that you have prior experience with phpmyadmin to do this, its not so hard as people make out.
    Having said that though, it is also true you could annihilate your old or new site if you make a mistake, hence the backup first bit. I would be happy to provide a more detailed explanation but that would require knowing what your actual setup is. The tables that need to be exported would vary depending upon additional components used.

Good luck and cheers

<em>@origomedia 207908 wrote:</em><blockquote>Hi guys. The new template looks good. I already have my site running of JA Teline III. I want to run the new template. Can someone explain in very simple terms what I need to do so I don’t lose all my articles and data when I start using version IV?

Jim</blockquote>

James Weston Friend

Thanks Wombat,

I am a bit unsure about all this and am a bit of a novice. My site is http://www.vivaasiamagazine.com I like the new template layout and want to start all over again. I am scared of losing my data and images so have created a subdomain on my godaddy account and wanted to load the quickstart there and work on the template until i was happy and then transfer it across. Unfortunately, I cannot work out how to load it onto the subdomain and how to create an admin login for the subdomain.

Jim

wombat1 Friend

You´re welcome Jim

Before doing anything, install the Akeeba backup component and learn how to make a complete backup of your site files and database contents, make sure you transfer these JPA format files somewhere off the server via FTP, presumably to your hard disk.

Learn Akeeba well, and use it to make regular backups.
    Try restoring your site to another directory using a JPA file and the Akeeba restoration script.
    Once you have done this you will not need to worry about losing your sites contents.

For the rest, if you are not sure how to use ftp to upload the quickstart package, and do not know how to create the admin login i would strongly suggest you get someone to take care of this process for you.

I would urge you to learn of course, but not the hard way and not on a live site.
    Learn how to use MAMP or LAMP and do it all on your home comp, once you know what you are doing hit the live site.

You can contact me via PM if you are in a rush, but im too old to work for free, there may however be others on this forum or elsewhere with kinder or younger souls than mine.

Cheers

<em>@origomedia 208135 wrote:</em><blockquote>Thanks Wombat,

I am a bit unsure about all this and am a bit of a novice. My site is http://www.vivaasiamagazine.com I like the new template layout and want to start all over again. I am scared of losing my data and images so have created a subdomain on my godaddy account and wanted to load the quickstart there and work on the template until i was happy and then transfer it across. Unfortunately, I cannot work out how to load it onto the subdomain and how to create an admin login for the subdomain.

Jim</blockquote>

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  wombat1 13 years, 5 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum