Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Hi,

I have created the following category schema:
    Country
    City (subcategory of Country)
    Area (subcategory of City)

I would like to have 3 list boxes as following:
    Listbox 1: Select Country
    ListBox2: Select City (Only show cities that belong to the above category)
    ListBox3: Select Area (Only show areas that belong to the above category)

Is there any way I could do this?

Phan Gam Friend

Hi there,

For list category, JA K2Filter have only a select-box to display categories as tree. If you want to use three independent list, i think You will need to customize code yourself.

7of9 Friend

So, there is no possibility to consider my request in the next version of the extension? I think it’s very useful!

Phan Gam Friend

Thanks for your suggestions,
    I will give it some thoughts 🙂

stavroch Friend

So can you tell us which lines do we have to change for having such a think?

thuanlq Friend

Hi All,
    To show multi category search please change code as following:
    – Open file “jak2_filter.php” in the folder “plugins/search/”, change “jak2_cats_form” function to get sub categories

function jak2_cats_form($groupname='plg_ja_group_')
    {
    }

– Change javascript code in the file “pluginssearchjak2_filterscript.js” to animate show only show cities/areas that belong to the above category.

Good luck!

wombat1 Friend

Actually, this is not what the orignal post is asking for, K2 does not handle countries, regions, cities adequately. Nor does it handle any situation where the fields depend on each other.
    If one has a sporting portal for example, imagine a dropdwon for selecting all possible teams worldwide, or all possible players. lol!
    Without relational and dependant fields it just does NOT work.
    And yes, please correct me if im wrong, go ahead., i am utterly spent from attempting it, any solutions welcome.

As explained here
    http://sankuru.biz/nl/blog/8-joomla-configuration-issues/52-k2-21-versus-joomla-16-alpha-in-svn.html
    K2 does not store its extra fields in an EAV database. It creates an associative array through Joomla’s JObject class, and stores it into one field, called extra_fields.

For a CCK solution that DOES use relational fields, and DOES allow the type of functionality requested by the first post in this thread check this out. Showing a little more than just how Countries and Cities SHOULD work.
    http://docs.reviewsforjoomla.com/videos/related_fields/Related_fields.html
    Weird that a reviews component has this capability and the most popular of Joomla CCKs does not.

As the forum monitors here and elsewhere should be realising by now, this is not a minor detail. Relational fields are an absolute necessity for most CCK based sites, and this is why, ultimately, many Joomla CCK´s in their current state are found sorely wanting. The Joomlart K2 filter is useful, but really, what developers need is relational features in content construction, and users require relational features when searching, filtering or listing.

The second feature sorely lacking here is the manner in which the results of using aforementioned search/filter/list may be displayed. Sure you can hack the results page for K2 search or JAK2 filter to provide images, but it still looks like garbage, making it unsuitable for many production sites. Most users would require a layout at least as functional and elegant as a standard K2 or Joomla category blog layout for filtering extra field results, The current JAK2 search result page with all the extra Joomla search junk just does not cut it at all. How does it appear to a user, to have see an awesome Joomlart or other theme, and then have Filter results that looks like a web page from 1990?

I have seen multiple how to requests in this very forum, and in a bunch of other forums, including K2´s, regarding these 2 features. None of the solutions given truly solve the problems.

Maybe its time theme developers stopped blindly following each other and instead of producing a flurry of theming for the same CCK all the time, maybe they could decide to give us some styling, and why not, plugins and modules, for alternative CCKs that do have features that many users have ased for. I applaud Joomlart for including Flexi styling for Teline IV. Hopefully new themes with styles for jReviews for example will arrive. It would mean reducing many hours of css styling from development time.

Almost as relevant, jReviews provides modules that may be placed on ALL pages, no need for module manager, and these AUTOMATICALLY adjust to the category or page they are on. No need for driving yourself crazy with multiple instances of modules on various cats and pages.

Something to think about for theme and extension developers. If jReviews looked as good as Joomlart K2 themes, i know which one i would choose no question. If i sound a little peeved, its because i am. Running several portals with K2, and about to construct another 2 sites. Many of 2´s features are great BUT all these portals are badly in need of relational fields, and nothing quite solves the problem adequately. If Joomlart added some nice jReviews styling to one of their themes, well…

<em>@thuanlq 220352 wrote:</em><blockquote>Hi All,
    To show multi category search please change code as following:
    – Open file “jak2_filter.php” in the folder “plugins/search/”, change “jak2_cats_form” function to get sub categories

function jak2_cats_form($groupname='plg_ja_group_')
    {
    }

– Change javascript code in the file “pluginssearchjak2_filterscript.js” to animate show only show cities/areas that belong to the above category.

Good luck!</blockquote>

kpleus Friend

Hi,

i know this post is a little bit older but i would like to ask if anyone found a solution?

Best regards,

KP

roland_web Friend

I also have the same problem. Do you maybe know if they found solution to this features. I need this kind of filtering. Withouth this possibility this module is unusable.

Thanh Nguyen Viet Friend

Hello Roland,

As you know, K2 does not support a dependent extra fields, so by default you can not get form fields to work like that.
    But in the new version of JA K2 filter component, we have supported a feature called “Dynamic counter” which helps to calculate item number that matches with each search option based on what user selects, and disable options that have no item.

So, how this feature can apply for your case?
    If you can update your K2 items with reference data, then on search form, if you select the first level select box, then the options in next level select boxes will be re-calculated depending on what you selected, and options that have no items will be disabled and un-selectable.

Please visit our demo page for a closer look:
    http://demo.joomlart.com/joomla-extensions/index.php/ja-k2-filter/dynamic-counter

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

This topic contains 10 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Thanh Nguyen Viet 10 years, 1 month ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum