Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Hi People…

I just bought a hostmonster web account and need to move my joomla site from my server to hostmonster

i thought to copy the entire site to hostmonster but i don’t know how to transfer the database

Anyone can help?

bennitos Friend

Here is a good “how to” for moving a joomla installation to a new server:

http://www.howtojoomla.net/content/view/17/2/

cgc0202 Friend

<em>@bennitos 58510 wrote:</em><blockquote>Here is a good “how to” for moving a joomla installation to a new server:

http://www.howtojoomla.net/content/view/17/2/</blockquote>

HI bennitos,

Database transfer is one of those I have not attempted yet, because I am not too sure whether I was doing it properly. Once, I tried to transfer my Coppermine PhotoGallery, and the new site would not accept importation of the exported database (SQL using the phpMyAdmin)

Have you used this yourself?

I assume that the version of Joomla used must be the same, and then upgrade later, after the transfer and import of the data?

I have a site based on the original JA Teline. What would be the changes needed, if I want to use the JA Teline II in the new site?

Thanks.

Cornelio

bennitos Friend

<em>@cgc0202 58536 wrote:</em><blockquote>HI bennitos,

Database transfer is one of those I have not attempted yet, because I am not too sure whether I was doing it properly. Once, I tried to transfer my Coppermine PhotoGallery, and the new site would not accept importation of the exported database (SQL using the phpMyAdmin)

Have you used this yourself?

I assume that the version of Joomla used must be the same, and then upgrade later, after the transfer and import of the data?

I have a site based on the original JA Teline. What would be the changes needed, if I want to use the JA Teline II in the new site?

Thanks.

Cornelio</blockquote>

Well yes the joomla version would be the same as you copy the files and database nothing will change version wise. Normally you wont have to change any template settings either.

You need to change some other settings like ftp server etc tho.

If you’r not happy using phpmyadmin you could install some backup module do a full backup, install new server + backup module and do a restore with that module. (still would need to change your config file)

There seems to be a good commercial tool aswell wich automates the whole process but i dont know if thats an option for you.

But that guide covers most things tho.

tcarita Friend

Thank You… I will try this 🙂

anees Friend

1) Go to the control panel of your present hosting
    2 ) Go to PHPMyadmin
    3) Select your database
    4) Export the database (save as a file)

5)Open new hosting CP
    6)Crete new database, user, and set permissions
    7)Go to PHPMyadmin
    8) Select new database
    9) Import database (import the one you saved from old server)

tcarita Friend

The database is transfered.. now lets see if i can configure :-/ the tutorial shows a very diferent configuration.php :-/

tcarita Friend

after several hours fighting i can’t conect to the database… if i do a quick instal it stays ok but the transfer does not work…

Database Error: Unable to connect to the database:Could not connect to MySQL

I think it probably has to do with passwords or users 🙁

rcsbobby Friend

http://www.joomlapack.net

I have had a problem using it on a few sites and on others it has worked like a dream for moving/backing-up.

mj1256 Friend

you need to make changes to your config and to your htaccess file, make sure database names are the same and that the new url is in your htaccess if your using a 302 redirect or seo components

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

This topic contains 10 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  mj1256 15 years, 11 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum