Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Hi, i have i my site in a folder http://www.my domain.com/site is it possible to remove it at http://www.my domain.com and how much risky is it?
    And guidelines there will be useful!!!!

ShannonN Friend

andronopoulos;13272Hi, i have i my site in a folder http://www.my domain.com/site is it possible to remove it at http://www.my domain.com and how much risky is it?
    And guidelines there will be useful!!!!

I wouldn’t like to try it as the site will go ok but you’ll have to modify the site database I’m hopeless at that (SQL) it would be easier to ask your hosting service to do the transfer as its within the same site structure they can do it in minutes and adjust the db paths for you

Hope this has helped
    Cheers ShannonN

instantinlaw Friend

Hi
    You can try this Joomla! Pack
    I haven’t had any luck with it though, it seems to time out on fairly large sites.
    You can usually find an extention for just about anything at http://www.joomla.org
    and you can check out the rest of the backup extentions HERE
    Good Luck

Ian Friend

Yes, u r right Pack show me error…

instantinlaw Friend

Well I am by far an expert on the subject, but I would try to make a complete backup of both the SQL database and existing site. I would then do a clean instal on the second server, add the old SQL info to the new database, then edit the old config php to reflect the new database password etc info, then overwrite all the files from the clean instal with the old files. I would think that if the database jives with the site files it would work. But try at your own risk.
    Anybody else have any ideas? I would like to know myself because I have a large site that I wouldn’t want to lose if something went wrong, and Joomla Pack does not work for me either.

ShannonN Friend

instantinlaw;13310Well I am by far an expert on the subject, but I would try to make a complete backup of both the SQL database and existing site. I would then do a clean instal on the second server, add the old SQL info to the new database, then edit the old config php to reflect the new database password etc info, then overwrite all the files from the clean instal with the old files. I would think that if the database jives with the site files it would work. But try at your own risk.
    Anybody else have any ideas? I would like to know myself because I have a large site that I wouldn’t want to lose if something went wrong, and Joomla Pack does not work for me either.

JoomPack works ok for me on 1.011 don’t know about 12 though

ErikThorsen Friend

I am not sure if I understand correctly? Are you trying to move the site from: yoursite.com/site to yoursite.com???

If not, are you moving to a new domain? If you are moving to a new domain, I would follow Bill’s advice. Usually all I do is take a backup of all files/folders. Then paste them all into the new domain. Then run a query in myphpadmin with the db and finally modify the settings in the config file. You can also of course install a new instance of joomla on the new domain and then upload the sql db. Then you would also have to make sure you upload all other components and mambots and modules as well, otherwise it will throw errors in your face as if the whole world is crashing.

Isnt’t there some sort of Bigape backup as well? Should be plenty of extensions to test on extensions.joomla.org. Some are good, others are not. :confused:

Ian Friend

Hi ErikThorsen, i want to move my site from —-> yoursite.com/site to—-> yoursite.com.
    And still i can’t find a good extension for backups:p

ErikThorsen Friend

If that is the case, you are in luck. That is extremely easy to do. :p

First of all, make sure you have backups of everything!!!!!

1: Copy all files and folders from yoursite.com/site into yoursite.com/
    2: Edit config file, not sure which line, but you see where it says: live site: yoursite.com/site. Change this into yoursite.com

Voilà! You are done! No need to make any changes to the db or anywhere else. Easy as one, two, three!!

ShannonN Friend

ErikThorsen;13329If that is the case, you are in luck. That is extremely easy to do. :p

First of all, make sure you have backups of everything!!!!!

1: Copy all files and folders from yoursite.com/site into yoursite.com/
    2: Edit config file, not sure which line, but you see where it says: live site: yoursite.com/site. Change this into yoursite.com

Voilà! You are done! No need to make any changes to the db or anywhere else. Easy as one, two, three!!

Love this place! learn these ‘little’ snippets all the time!
    Thanks Erik

instantinlaw Friend

Well It’s nice to know I am right some of the time 😉

I didn’t really know if my way of doing it would work, but it seemed like the most logical approach. Good thing I do have all those backups, but I have to do it the hard way, ftp.

Good luck with your move.

Ian Friend

Ok i fixed…thanks Erik, also needs to set again all permisions at folders like installation…and configuration must change live site, absolute path and of course cache and….Voilà! You are done! Easy as one, two, three!!:cool:

ErikThorsen Friend

Always glad to see my suggestions as succesful postings! Remember to post your site to the “bragging showcase” part of the forum as well!!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

This topic contains 13 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  ErikThorsen 17 years, 1 month ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum