Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Hello Forum,

Before I get too far with building my site, I wanted to double check something.

I am currently building in a subdirectory mysite.com/joomla.

When I am done, my intention was taking down my current HTML site and moving the Joomla site to mysite.com.

I understand this can be done. What is the difficulty factor and are there problems with links etc I should be aware of now?

Thanks for any insight you can give.

mj1256 Friend

ues joomlapack, it takes 10 minutes, it will zip it and install it where you want it the same as a normal joomla install, but it will be your site.

sfpkent Friend

Hi,

I thought joomlapack only for backup and restore a website?? Can help install new joomla website as well??

By the way, does anybody know what component can help install or upload joomla to hosting faster?

SP Media Friend

There should be no problems, just remove the contents of the root folder, and move the contents of the subdirectory into the root directory.

You just need to modify the configuration.php file to reflect those changes.

http://kb.siteground.com/article/How_to_move_Joomla_to_another_directory.html explains it in more detail.

imsleepy Friend

<em>@spmedia 109784 wrote:</em><blockquote>There should be no problems, just remove the contents of the root folder, and move the contents of the subdirectory into the root directory.

http://kb.siteground.com/article/How_to_move_Joomla_to_another_directory.html explains it in more detail.</blockquote>

Thanks! This is exactly what I was looking for!

Hilary Cheyne Friend

<em>@sfpkent 109774 wrote:</em><blockquote>Hi,

I thought joomlapack only for backup and restore a website?? Can help install new joomla website as well??

By the way, does anybody know what component can help install or upload joomla to hosting faster?</blockquote>
    Ftp the zipped Joomla to your site and unzip it using your cpanel.

wooohanetworks Friend

<em>@spmedia 109784 wrote:</em><blockquote>There should be no problems, just remove the contents of the root folder, and move the contents of the subdirectory into the root directory.

http://kb.siteground.com/article/How_to_move_Joomla_to_another_directory.html explains it in more detail.</blockquote>

All other options are much unneeded work, this way it goes even faster than 10 minutes, to move files from directories on the server goes nearly instantly, first to install something, than zip it, unzip it, and so on is not needed and far too much effort than simply doing it this way.

cjmicro Friend

What I do sometimes is copy anything in the root (in my case public_html) folder to the joomal subfolder, then rename public_html to something else, like public_htmlsav. Then rename the joomla folder to public_html. I don’t know if there are any ramifications for doing it this way but it seems faster than copying the files or any other way I’ve done it. You do have to check the config and change that and also may have to change any non-relative paths of images or links. (more reason to use relative links if possible!!)

Joomlapack also works very well, but I usually only use that when going to a different server.

Cheryl

Hilary Cheyne Friend

<em>@hils 110078 wrote:</em><blockquote>Ftp the zipped Joomla to your site and unzip it using your cpanel.</blockquote>

I should qualify this answer! This was in response to sfpkent asking:

<blockquote>By the way, does anybody know what component can help install or upload joomla to hosting faster?
    </blockquote>

It is not the way to move a Joomla site from a sub-folder to root!

Uploading the full zipped Joomla package ready for a new install is much quicker than uploading the unzipped files one by one. You can’t use a ‘component’ unless you have a Joomla installation.

On the main topic – moving from sub-folder to root – I agree with spmedia and wooohanetworks… and with Cheryl using Joomlapack for moving an existing installation from server to server.

Hils

santoshalom Friend

this will help me thanks

mirzamunas Friend

I have my website under public_html on a server and I have to my site to a server which has htdocs. I did move it but I am getting the error “404 – File or directory not found”

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

This topic contains 11 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  mirzamunas 14 years, 1 month ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum