Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Hey!

Most noob ? in the world, I know, but I just paid for a normal account (the best before developer account – was around ~102) and I got a little carried away and started downloading the first couple of pages worth of templates because as a developer I have a very intense test everything out and play around with everything philosophy to see what I can do with it and noticed that I was downloading a lot of the same stuff!!!

So for example of what I’m trying to get at by asking this question…

I joined the Joomla! community because of Jomsocial and got the Jomsocial Pro with Socialize and iSEO package for $300 bucks and when installing Socialize (with the help of your company T3 framework) I had to unzip the entire folder first and then install each component/plugin manually.

ie I had to manually install T3 framework, socialize/jomsocial community toolbar, and then lastly the actual socialize template.

I noticed that when I was downloading each template from your website there was a large quickstart file and then everything else file/files.

A lot of the templates had the same files such as T3 and so my ultimate question boils down to if I have one domain and I want to play around with everything and test everything out what is the best most efficient way to go about doing this???

You guys to not require to unzip main folder first and then install separate zip files as necessary such as when I installed Socialize as I had previously thought when I was first downloading a few of your templates.

So to make a long story short, what is the best method to go about downloading and installing everything that I need without downloading/installing repeat/unnecessary components/plugins and ***if by accident I choose an entire zip file to install that already has some things I already have such as T3 framework will this create performance problems and slow down my website and load page times or will it just ignore/skip repeat items???***

A very noob question, I know, but there was so many similarities and differences between theme downloads that I had to ask you guys how I should go about downloading and installing in the future.

And please don’t say just download and install the template file, because then I will be missing out on key vital assets for that template because I did notice each template has some files that are unique to that specific template and are not repeats of other things I would already have such as T3 framework.

I hope you guys understand my question and concern and can clearly answer and clarify my question/concern.

Thanks!!!
    -Alex 🙂

hbic Friend

Alex,

I’m also new to Joomla.
    I used WAMP (Windows Apache MySQL PHP) to create a local web server environment on my laptop. I decompressed the quickstart zip file into a folder in the WWW directory. The directory name I created was named “JoomlaA”. To access the quickstart I pointed my browser to ‘localhost/JoomlaA’. From there I followed the quickstart guide step by step to install my template along with all the pre-built stuff JA supplies. There’s additional stuff I needed to do, and the quickstart guide had what I needed to explain how to proceed. The catch is I had to keep trying, over and over, to figure out what the quickstart was saying.

Once I figured out how the quickstart worked, how it was it’s own self-contained, all-in-one, package for installing Joomla *and* all the files and graphics to create the demo site for my chosen template, I then created *multiple* directories in the www root of my WAMP, just like I did when I created ‘JoomlaA’. For each one of those directories you can put an independent quickstart and do comparisons between variations of the same template. I believe you could use the quickstart from other templates in each directory, as well.

In my case I created JoomlaA, JoomlaB, JoomlaC…., and I tried out different variations of the Uber template. To reach each I’d go to localhost/JoomlaA, localhost/JoomlaB or localhost/JoomlaC and set up each quickstart as it’s own independent Joomla installation and customized each to learn.

I was installing the Uber template manually until I figured out the quickstart. That was a pain.

-Tom

hbic Friend

Alex,

I’m also new to Joomla.
    I used WAMP (Windows Apache MySQL PHP) to create a local web server environment on my laptop. I decompressed the quickstart zip file into a folder in the WWW directory. The directory name I created was named “JoomlaA”. To access the quickstart I pointed my browser to ‘localhost/JoomlaA’. From there I followed the quickstart guide step by step to install my template along with all the pre-built stuff JA supplies. There’s additional stuff I needed to do, and the quickstart guide had what I needed to explain how to proceed. The catch is I had to keep trying, over and over, to figure out what the quickstart was saying.

Once I figured out how the quickstart worked, how it was it’s own self-contained, all-in-one, package for installing Joomla *and* all the files and graphics to create the demo site for my chosen template, I then created *multiple* directories in the www root of my WAMP, just like I did when I created ‘JoomlaA’. For each one of those directories you can put an independent quickstart and do comparisons between variations of the same template. I believe you could use the quickstart from other templates in each directory, as well.

In my case I created JoomlaA, JoomlaB, JoomlaC…., and I tried out different variations of the Uber template. To reach each I’d go to localhost/JoomlaA, localhost/JoomlaB or localhost/JoomlaC and set up each quickstart as it’s own independent Joomla installation and customized each to learn.

I was installing the Uber template manually until I figured out the quickstart. That was a pain.

-Tom

alexm1337 Friend

Thanks Tom!

Haha but yeah see that quick start method is EXACTLY what I’m trying to avoid!!!

There were a few other paid extensions that I got to test out that had this same quick start package that included a fresh install of Joomla! just like you were saying and was meant to be an everything included all in one package, but ultimately I was just looking for the specific new components that I wanted and didn’t need the rest.

The way I’ve been doing my development work is to just work on a dummy test domain that way it’s live and I can access and work on it from anywhere in the world even though like you most of my work is done on my laptop.

Also, since my website is a niche social networking website I want it live so I can tell all of my friends about it and have them join and sign up while I continue to work on it both back end and front end.

Also, it just feels more real to me and allows you to get a better understanding of how things really work once you go live such as cronjobs and emailing users new notifications and accepting new users etc.

The only thing with Joomlarts download packages is that trying to figure out what I need and don’t need is a little more confusing!

For the example, when I was downloading Easy Blog, Easy Discuss, Easy Social, and Komento from stackideas.com they also had a quick start package with Joomla! and everything else you would need, but then they also had just the component I wanted.

They only had two options.

On here it’s like you get the quickstart on top of all of the individual files, but you may not need all of the individual files so besides just the template what about the other assets you might need???

***Joomlarts people***

I think it be much easier and make more sense to have a quickstart option for noobs that want the whole package Joomla! included per specific template especially if they are only interested in using one of them, but for us developers there should be two simple downloads.

-one would be all of the Joomlarts assets to make all of the templates work such as T3, Google Maps, Sliders, fb like, all of that stuff…

-And then one download that would be a zip that you unzip that has ALL of the templates you guys offer

Makes WAY more sense right???

I suppose I can select what I need and don’t need from now on while downloading each template with specific template assets and I suppose they don’t think the average person would want EVERYTHING, but if you paid for it why wouldn’t you want everything???

I’d like to have it all on my computer just in case I may want to use it later on down the road than not have it at all and as for what you’re doing with a fresh install of Joomla! every time if you’re serious about making a unique site from scratch with all of the different templates then that be the best option, but I want to just be able to quickly test out what I currently have and go into the back end of one single domain and change the default template via template manager.

Obviously since every template is different I will have to disable/unpublish certain components, modules, and plugins and then add/install the new ones and activate/publish those and configure them if there’s certain module/component/plugin assignments, but I’d like to be able to have multiple template options on one domain with all of the necessary assets for that/those template(s) in one package ready to go that way testing and experimenting would be a breeze and not difficult and stressful because now I am going to have to keep a tally of manually downloading everything I need per a template download rather than downloading two simple massive files with everything on it ready to go!!!

Does this make sense???

-Alex

alexm1337 Friend

Thanks Tom!

Haha but yeah see that quick start method is EXACTLY what I’m trying to avoid!!!

There were a few other paid extensions that I got to test out that had this same quick start package that included a fresh install of Joomla! just like you were saying and was meant to be an everything included all in one package, but ultimately I was just looking for the specific new components that I wanted and didn’t need the rest.

The way I’ve been doing my development work is to just work on a dummy test domain that way it’s live and I can access and work on it from anywhere in the world even though like you most of my work is done on my laptop.

Also, since my website is a niche social networking website I want it live so I can tell all of my friends about it and have them join and sign up while I continue to work on it both back end and front end.

Also, it just feels more real to me and allows you to get a better understanding of how things really work once you go live such as cronjobs and emailing users new notifications and accepting new users etc.

The only thing with Joomlarts download packages is that trying to figure out what I need and don’t need is a little more confusing!

For the example, when I was downloading Easy Blog, Easy Discuss, Easy Social, and Komento from stackideas.com they also had a quick start package with Joomla! and everything else you would need, but then they also had just the component I wanted.

They only had two options.

On here it’s like you get the quickstart on top of all of the individual files, but you may not need all of the individual files so besides just the template what about the other assets you might need???

***Joomlarts people***

I think it be much easier and make more sense to have a quickstart option for noobs that want the whole package Joomla! included per specific template especially if they are only interested in using one of them, but for us developers there should be two simple downloads.

-one would be all of the Joomlarts assets to make all of the templates work such as T3, Google Maps, Sliders, fb like, all of that stuff…

-And then one download that would be a zip that you unzip that has ALL of the templates you guys offer

Makes WAY more sense right???

I suppose I can select what I need and don’t need from now on while downloading each template with specific template assets and I suppose they don’t think the average person would want EVERYTHING, but if you paid for it why wouldn’t you want everything???

I’d like to have it all on my computer just in case I may want to use it later on down the road than not have it at all and as for what you’re doing with a fresh install of Joomla! every time if you’re serious about making a unique site from scratch with all of the different templates then that be the best option, but I want to just be able to quickly test out what I currently have and go into the back end of one single domain and change the default template via template manager.

Obviously since every template is different I will have to disable/unpublish certain components, modules, and plugins and then add/install the new ones and activate/publish those and configure them if there’s certain module/component/plugin assignments, but I’d like to be able to have multiple template options on one domain with all of the necessary assets for that/those template(s) in one package ready to go that way testing and experimenting would be a breeze and not difficult and stressful because now I am going to have to keep a tally of manually downloading everything I need per a template download rather than downloading two simple massive files with everything on it ready to go!!!

Does this make sense???

-Alex

alexm1337 Friend

Hello again!

So I looked a little more into everything today because I had a little bit of time and some things are more clear to me now, but I still have a few more questions and wish the downloads were set up differently!

*** Disclaimer – original post was made 15 minutes after just signing up and downloading a few of the templates and wanting to see and get immediate results – kind of like ordering something online and not being able to wait until your new toy comes in the mail so you can open it up and play with it! ***

So I see that you guys have two different club memberships – one is for the templates and then the other is for the extensions minus the jobs extension that is a separate product.

So you guys mention most of the extensions are included somewhere or another in some of the templates which is what I noticed myself when I was downloading everything included per template download, but again back to my original question – I wish you guys could make two separate downloads – one for all of the templates and then one for all of the extensions/other template assets!!!

This would be so much easier!!!

And to do this you can leave everything the way it is set up right now currently, just add an option for download all templates and download all extensions!

Perhaps that’s how the developer account is set up and perhaps you guys want to just keep that option exclusive to a developer account which would make sense, but I was just wondering if this idea that I just came up with is something you guys have thought about doing or not.

Please consider it!!!

But anyway, that’s not how it is right now so my only other question would be what would be the benefit of signing up for both the template club and the extensions club???

So the template club for me was around $102 bucks because I got the no copyright white label rebranding option and was just wondering what I get more for paying another $50 bucks to join the Extension club as well???

I could go through ALL of the templates and make a list and compare it to the list on the JA Extensions page, but just figured I’d ask and clarify first.

Lol that and it make my life a whole lot easier!!!

Thanks!

Also, I have a question about the no copyright rebranding option add on – what would be the difference if I never added this addon and how does the template file know that this is what I ordered and does not include backlink/copyright information and also how would you guys be able to tell how many domains it’s on???

I only have one domain that I’m working on I’m more of a tech start up guy building my own company not just web dev projects for clients so multiple domain name licenses for me will not be an issue, but I was just wondering what the heck I paid an extra 32$ dollars for!

Thanks!

-Alex

alexm1337 Friend

Hello again!

So I looked a little more into everything today because I had a little bit of time and some things are more clear to me now, but I still have a few more questions and wish the downloads were set up differently!

*** Disclaimer – original post was made 15 minutes after just signing up and downloading a few of the templates and wanting to see and get immediate results – kind of like ordering something online and not being able to wait until your new toy comes in the mail so you can open it up and play with it! ***

So I see that you guys have two different club memberships – one is for the templates and then the other is for the extensions minus the jobs extension that is a separate product.

So you guys mention most of the extensions are included somewhere or another in some of the templates which is what I noticed myself when I was downloading everything included per template download, but again back to my original question – I wish you guys could make two separate downloads – one for all of the templates and then one for all of the extensions/other template assets!!!

This would be so much easier!!!

And to do this you can leave everything the way it is set up right now currently, just add an option for download all templates and download all extensions!

Perhaps that’s how the developer account is set up and perhaps you guys want to just keep that option exclusive to a developer account which would make sense, but I was just wondering if this idea that I just came up with is something you guys have thought about doing or not.

Please consider it!!!

But anyway, that’s not how it is right now so my only other question would be what would be the benefit of signing up for both the template club and the extensions club???

So the template club for me was around $102 bucks because I got the no copyright white label rebranding option and was just wondering what I get more for paying another $50 bucks to join the Extension club as well???

I could go through ALL of the templates and make a list and compare it to the list on the JA Extensions page, but just figured I’d ask and clarify first.

Lol that and it make my life a whole lot easier!!!

Thanks!

Also, I have a question about the no copyright rebranding option add on – what would be the difference if I never added this addon and how does the template file know that this is what I ordered and does not include backlink/copyright information and also how would you guys be able to tell how many domains it’s on???

I only have one domain that I’m working on I’m more of a tech start up guy building my own company not just web dev projects for clients so multiple domain name licenses for me will not be an issue, but I was just wondering what the heck I paid an extra 32$ dollars for!

Thanks!

-Alex

Anonymous Moderator

@alexm1337

You cannot download all of our extensions as a JATC standard member, we have some valuable extensions that are available for JAEC members only like JA K2 Filter, JA Amazon S3, JA Social Locker, JA Voice, JA Comment. This is why you see a lot of members with both memberships.

And the $32 you paid for copyright removal is purely permission fee. Now that you got our permission to remove copyright from template, you can follow this guide to finish the process yourself.

We do require members to register their domains using our templates at member area > domains . This way we can keep track of which domain has permission to use copyright removal.

Anonymous Moderator

@alexm1337

You cannot download all of our extensions as a JATC standard member, we have some valuable extensions that are available for JAEC members only like JA K2 Filter, JA Amazon S3, JA Social Locker, JA Voice, JA Comment. This is why you see a lot of members with both memberships.

And the $32 you paid for copyright removal is purely permission fee. Now that you got our permission to remove copyright from template, you can follow this guide to finish the process yourself.

We do require members to register their domains using our templates at member area > domains . This way we can keep track of which domain has permission to use copyright removal.

alexm1337 Friend

Thank You JA Developer.

Makes sense that you guys have two different club memberships one for templates and then one for extensions.

I’m sure developer membership has a get everything download.

If I were to get an extension membership on top of my template membership is there a price break or would it be an additional $50 dollars for me?

Also, would I have to pay extra for copyright removal for extensions?

And last question, would there be a download for all extensions or would you have to do it one by one?

For extensions individual downloading would be manageable enough, but for templates you guys should consider having a download all templates option and include a simple text file per template download folder informing users which extensions and vital JA assets you need to publish, include, and configure.

Thanks!
    -Alex

alexm1337 Friend

Thank You JA Developer.

Makes sense that you guys have two different club memberships one for templates and then one for extensions.

I’m sure developer membership has a get everything download.

If I were to get an extension membership on top of my template membership is there a price break or would it be an additional $50 dollars for me?

Also, would I have to pay extra for copyright removal for extensions?

And last question, would there be a download for all extensions or would you have to do it one by one?

For extensions individual downloading would be manageable enough, but for templates you guys should consider having a download all templates option and include a simple text file per template download folder informing users which extensions and vital JA assets you need to publish, include, and configure.

Thanks!
    -Alex

Anonymous Moderator

<em>@alexm1337 492183 wrote:</em><blockquote>I’m sure developer membership has a get everything download.</blockquote>
    Yes. Our developer members are granted access to all Joomla products (templates & extensions) available.

<em>@alexm1337 492183 wrote:</em><blockquote>If I were to get an extension membership on top of my template membership is there a price break or would it be an additional $50 dollars for me?</blockquote>
    Currently active JATC members can use coupon OFF20JAEC to get JAEC membership at just $30. This special discount is valid until October 2015.

<em>@alexm1337 492183 wrote:</em><blockquote>Also, would I have to pay extra for copyright removal for extensions?</blockquote>
    No. There is no need to pay extra, the permission for extensions copyright removal is part of the JAEC membership package already.

<em>@alexm1337 492183 wrote:</em><blockquote>And last question, would there be a download for all extensions or would you have to do it one by one? </blockquote>
    You have to download the extensions one by one. We could not provide batch download for extensions or templates as some people would certainly take advantage and abuse the download access.

And we do provide info about extensions and vital JA assets you need to publish, include, and configure per template at our Documentation page . Unfortunately these manuals are not available as offline files, so we cannot include theme in template download packages.

Anonymous Moderator

<em>@alexm1337 492183 wrote:</em><blockquote>I’m sure developer membership has a get everything download.</blockquote>
    Yes. Our developer members are granted access to all Joomla products (templates & extensions) available.

<em>@alexm1337 492183 wrote:</em><blockquote>If I were to get an extension membership on top of my template membership is there a price break or would it be an additional $50 dollars for me?</blockquote>
    Currently active JATC members can use coupon OFF20JAEC to get JAEC membership at just $30. This special discount is valid until October 2015.

<em>@alexm1337 492183 wrote:</em><blockquote>Also, would I have to pay extra for copyright removal for extensions?</blockquote>
    No. There is no need to pay extra, the permission for extensions copyright removal is part of the JAEC membership package already.

<em>@alexm1337 492183 wrote:</em><blockquote>And last question, would there be a download for all extensions or would you have to do it one by one? </blockquote>
    You have to download the extensions one by one. We could not provide batch download for extensions or templates as some people would certainly take advantage and abuse the download access.

And we do provide info about extensions and vital JA assets you need to publish, include, and configure per template at our Documentation page . Unfortunately these manuals are not available as offline files, so we cannot include theme in template download packages.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

This topic contains 13 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Anonymous 8 years, 7 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum