Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

I’m running a five-year-old site for a major client. It has University version 1.0.4 (circa 2012). The site platform is Joomla 2.59.
    We are going to be updating now all the way to Joomla 3.7.
    The Joomla update itself can be done in one click. My questions relate to other issues. I’m going to post them one at a time to keep it simple.
    Question 2: Can I upload a replacement template now, before we throw the switch and update Joomla? Or will that upload also overwrite T3 and break the existing website? Do the new T3 framework and the new template have to be uploaded separately? Or is it a single-package upload?
    Thanks,
    -Jim G.

Pankaj Sharma Moderator

Hi
    If you want to migrate site to T3 based JA University first
    Use the doc below to update Joomla:
    https://docs.joomla.org/Joomla_2.5_to_3.x_Step_by_Step_Migration
    I suggest you to first check all extensions are template on your site are ready for latest Joomla or not, if not either you to update them if they are ready for it or unpublish them.

Install T3 plugin and JA University template and extensions from here
    Disable older JA Universitty templata and JAT3 plugin.

Both the template use different framework and use different positions/modules views. I suggest you to follow the documentation to make site like in JA University T3.
    Also try these steps on localhost or test domain beucase it took more efforts to migrate a site to new template.
    Always take backup of site before updating Joomla.

Regards

gribblej Friend

Thank you, Pankaj! This answers most of my questions. I have done many Joomla updates but they usually don’t involve migrating to a new template. I will be careful, take my time. We do run a daily backup, thanks for that reminder. I also have all edits saved to custom.css.
    -Jim G.

Pankaj Sharma Moderator

You are welcome Sir!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Pankaj Sharma 7 years, 3 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum