Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Hi,
    I keep having to spend HOURS messing with JA templates to bend them to my will – or that of a client.
    OK, I can do that… I understand you can’t really (viably) do a “one-size-fits-all” .
    Also, I am not generally one to do this kind of “blurt”… but, I am growing weary of “fighting” some of these templates.

IMO, you REALLLY DO need to assign someone in your team to create some detailed FAQ’s or similar in respect of the nifty add-ons to various templates.

Typically, the userguide.html is generally a “cut-paste” job that just does not have enough explicit detail for any given template. I understand it is better than nothing – especially for the novice user. OK, perhaps have another, “Advanced” version. Or, separate docs for the particular add-on.

For example, JA has a ja_transmenu module – quite separate from the version that gets added-in to the template filesystem with some (most, nowadays) templates.

Nowhere, that I can find, is there mention.. “Do not be confused…” I can well understand the frustration of a novice, but Hey, I am confused and I have been at this game a loooong time.

So, an example…
    Given that one is using a Transmenu option of template “ja_xxxx”, where does one find out how to control the widths of the pop-out submenus?

Maybe that is not such a good example – and should more properly be addressed as simple mod to the template build(s) to provide a parameter… but I hope you get my point.

I think attention to this detail would take a lot of pressure off the Forum moderators – simple referral to FAQ=yyy etc.
    … not to mention save us, your paid-up “not-to-be-taken-for-granted” CUSTOMERS, a lot of time and frustration.

Thanks,
    Chris(tophe)r

Hung Dinh Friend

Hi Chris,
    We are also serious about this and do try our best to give the best documentation which will again save us more time for support. But I do think that we have covered most of standard step by step guideline in aspect of templates installation and customization.

There are other things that you need to refer to other resources like modules and component documentation which you can look up at joomla.org or other joomla fan sites. We are all aware that installing Joomla templates require basic knowledge of Joomla administration like frontpage settings, module suffixes.

So in the understanding of the “stress and frustration” that you have experienced, there has been good reason for this forum to be established. The forum, in other ways of documentation, can give a better support for specific cases.

If you have any question of difficulty, feel free to post in the correct forum so that we can assist you, Chris

tophe Friend

Thanks for the speedy reply Hung,
    I do appreciate your perspective…

However, I think my point remains.
    In the typical userguide.html, I don’t think it is enough to simply state how to switch menu types.

For example: $ja_menutype = 3; >>> OK, but a lttle MORE about whether it is possible to config transmenu in repect of child menus for WIDTH and if so, HOW, would save us a LOT of time.

Also, on the subject of transmenu…
    Given that it comes with most of the newer templates, should transmenu questions be posted to the template forum or the transmenu forum? (I take the latter to refer to the stand alone EXTENSION)

I will go over to transmenu forum and ask the above qustion about setting width of child menus.
    Regards,
    Chris

PS. Please take my comments as constructive criticism… I do appreciate and generally recommend JA templates.

itguy Friend

Hung, I do see the point Chris is trying to make (as I am sure you do as well) and would like to comment.

I do recall the first time I set up Transmenu and for me, there was a very steep learning curve. I was not new to programming or website development but I was new to Joomla. The funny thing is that all the information was there and I somehow missed it. The information about how to install Transmenu was not easy to find and I spent several days trying to figure it out in my free time. Once I figured it out it was rather funny how simple it was to install and configure all the options.

After reading post after post of others with the same problem I wrote a fairly basic how to about getting Transmenu up and running and as a result a few people have benefited from it and I no longer have to answer posts about this in the forum.

You might consider some means that we might post tutorials in one place about recurring questions that come up here. Some of our more active members might be willing to contribute in order to help the community as a whole. I know I would be happy to help.

Just a thought.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  itguy 17 years, 2 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum