Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

What exactly does the module suffix “-testimonials” DO?

Maybe I misunderstand what a module suffix actually does….I thought it applied the suffix style ( i.e, the appearance) to whatever module you applied the suffix to.
    For example, if I apply the module suffix “-testimonials” to any other module, then THAT module will display the “testimonials” style ( appearance)………….or, does that only work on PARTICULAR modules….in PARTICULAR positions?

scotty Friend

benarmeriii;124862does that only work on PARTICULAR modules….in PARTICULAR positions?

Yes. A module suffix for xhtml modules will only work for mods in a xhtml position and likewise for rounded position modules.

More info here.

benarmeriii Friend

Thank you for that….it’s made it all a lot clearer:-)

Is that also why the typography stuff also only applies in certain module positions too?

scotty Friend

It depends.

Typography will use the last defined attribute in the css (ie ‘cascading’). So a <p> (for example) style defined in the template.css may be defined differently in a later part of the css.

OR…

Typography in a module may have a specific ID or Class only for that module.

If you want to set an attribute that can not be overruled later then add !important after it like…

p {font-weight: bold !important};

More info here

benarmeriii Friend

Ahhhhh, I see….thank you:-)
    I hadn’t planned on delving that deep into a template, but it seems I have to if I want to understand how Joomlart templates REALLY work ( especially the quickstart/demo).

scotty Friend

Well this would apply to any platform that uses CSS like HTML, WordPress, Etc, not just Joomla.

Templates are really not very complicated and the great thing about Joomla is there is an abundance of tutorials, support sites, and books available.

limeweb Friend

“Templates are really not very complicated and the great thing about Joomla is there is an abundance of tutorials, support sites, and books available.”

You’re kidding aren’t you? When template demo modules are built around divs and where images within those divs have calls to css style coding that to my mind is not basic uncomplicated stuff :).

And whilst its wonderful to have that abundance of Joomla reference stuff available, wouldn’t you think it useful if a template club could include in its User Guide some information on which module suffixes are available, where they can be used and how to use them?

It may be clear to Benarmerii, but I haven’t a clue how to use that ‘testimonial’ suffix.

benarmeriii Friend

<em>@limeweb 125140 wrote:</em><blockquote>”Templates are really not very complicated and the great thing about Joomla is there is an abundance of tutorials, support sites, and books available.”

You’re kidding aren’t you? When template demo modules are built around divs and where images within those divs have calls to css style coding that to my mind is not basic uncomplicated stuff :).

And whilst its wonderful to have that abundance of Joomla reference stuff available, wouldn’t you think it useful if a template club could include in its User Guide some information on which module suffixes are available, where they can be used and how to use them?

It may be clear to Benarmerii, but I haven’t a clue how to use that ‘testimonial’ suffix.</blockquote>

LOL…me either…..it only made it CLEARER to me that module suffix does NOT work in ALL module positions. I spend a lot of time trying to “reverse engineer” most Joomlart templates, because the way the demos are set up, it is NOT EASY to set your own site up the same….even using the quickstart. They use a lot of custom modules to achieve a lot of effects that SEEM duplicatable but aren’t really.

The only thing made clearer from this thread is that there are “limiters” on how and where a module suffix will apply…….. I have a LONG way to go to be “clear”;)

I agree wholeheartedly with <blockquote> wouldn’t you think it useful if a template club could include in its User Guide some information on which module suffixes are available, where they can be used and how to use them?</blockquote>….too often the solution to a problem is ” give me your login details”…which doesn’t help me learn or understand.

scotty Friend

limeweb;125140wouldn’t you think it useful if a template club could include in its User Guide some information on which module suffixes are available, where they can be used and how to use them?

Do you want Joomlart to supply a CSS, PHP, Axaj, Javascript, and HTML manual with all templates as well?

To make a website with Joomla a basic understanding of all the above are needed, possibly not Ajax and JS but certainly the others.

There ARE loads of sites that explain the Module Suffix and how to use it. Plus what a position style/chrome is and how to modify it. It’s just one aspect of styling Joomla. There are many. If Joomlart were to write a guide for all of them they’d never have time to release templates.

Look in the template images and css files and you will see what suffix are available.

Everything you need to know is here.

limeweb Friend

<em>@scotty 125170 wrote:</em><blockquote>Do you want Joomlart to supply a CSS, PHP, Axaj, Javascript, and HTML manual with all templates as well? </blockquote>

Nope. Just a simple addition to the User Guide that shows the suffixes available and in which modules they can be used within the design of the specific template released. Too much to ask you think?

jbrowdy Friend

I agree with Limeweb. When you are asking for money, you should be willing to provide clear instructions and/or support your product.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

This topic contains 11 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  jbrowdy 15 years ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum