Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

I know these questions have come up in other places, and I’ve viewed those threads, but still need some guidance and/or better documentation.

I’m currently working in the Purity III template, but I assume the answers to these questions will apply to most other templates.

I want to be able to create custom classes for modules. However, I have absolutely no idea where the CSS needs to go, and I gather from answers in other threads that there’s no simple answer to this question.

So my first question is this: how do I create a module style/class that shows up as an option in the pull-down menu options for “Module Style” in the “Advanced” tab of the Module Manager? The pull-down list includes module styles from multiple templates, and includes six styles specifically associated with the Purity III template. I can’t figure out where these styles are defined (and, it would be nice to have a page that shows what each of them looks like). From the outside, it seems like this would be the most elegant solution: to be able to create a few new module styles, drop them into the appropriate template file, and not have to worry about it. But so far nothing about modifying the CSS in these templates has been simple or obvious.

Next, how does this “Module Style” option differ from a Module Class Suffix? Does the suffix override the style?

In one of the other threads, the user thought he had solved the issue, and then discovered even more variations and undocumented classses and styles affecting modules —*module-title, module-inner, and module-ct —*all of which had to be defined or modified to get the effect he was going for.

I’m sure I’ll have other questions about this, but if you could clarify these key points —*where/how to set up a “Module Style” in the template or the CSS and if that’s not reasonably easy, where/how to establish a Module Class Suffix that will override everything else that may be going on in that part of the template, that would be extremely helpful.

Nazario A Friend

@kevinburk,

<blockquote>how do I create a module style/class that shows up as an option in the pull-down menu options for “Module Style” in the “Advanced” tab of the Module Manager?</blockquote>

The “Module style” actually refers to module chrome which is decoration around a module layout. To create a new module style, you can add your style into this file: /templates/purity_iii/html/modules.php

For more information on Module style, visit these pages:
    http://docs.joomla.org/Applying_custom_module_chrome
    http://docs.joomla.org/Module_chrome

<blockquote>Next, how does this “Module Style” option differ from a Module Class Suffix? Does the suffix override the style? </blockquote>
    The module style gives you*certain amount of control over the way the output from a Module displayed in your template with some pre-defined HTML (which can be then style with CSS)

Meanwhile, Module class suffix just allows to add CSS classes. If you enter a module class suffix with a leading space, a new CSS class will be created. In this case, it is recommended to add your CSS declaration into the /templates/your_template_name/css/custom.css file.

Hope this helps.

1. module1
    kevinburk Friend

Thanks so much! One thing: the link to the joomla documentation for module class suffix is empty. This link seems to provide the information you wanted to provide:

http://docs.joomla.org/Using_Class_Suffixes

kevinburk Friend

I’ve got one more level of clarification now. I can get the module class suffix to work for general modules (all I need to do is create the CSS, but that I can figure out). However, the module class suffix does not seem to override everything when the module is included in the MegaMenu.

I’m playing with putting a shopping cart in the MegaMenu, but I’d like it to have a white background (so you can read the text), but no matter what changes I make to the module class suffix, it won’t let me adjust the background of the module in the MegaMenu.

I’m assuming there are other CSS issues here associated with the MegaMenu styles —*where would I find (and alter) these? I’d actually like to be able to adjust the colors of the MegaMenu, so knowing where to find those CSS styles would be helpful —*and is there a way to override them on a case-by-case basis with custom classes in the custom.css file?

Nazario A Friend

@kenvinburk,

With our new T3 framework-based templates, it will take CSS style defined in the ‘custom.css’ file in priority. Hence, you can add your custom CSS code via this file: /templates/purity_iii/css/custom.css

In this case, please let me know how you want to customise, then send me the URL, Admin and FTP credential of your site, I will help you out.

kevinburk Friend

@nazario A, the URL with the current example is this:

http://burkdesigngroup.com/AM3/

The same shopping cart module is shown both in the page (with the ugly gradient background as a default test) and also in the MegaMenu in the “Get the Book” item (without the background override). The custom.css override is working, but not when the module is in the MegaMenu. The custom.css does seem to affect things like the module padding etc. when it’s in the MegaMenu, but whatever the MegaMenu css is, it’s overriding the custom.css declarations for things like the module background color.

If you still need admin access to the site, is there an eMail where I can send it without posting it?

Thanks,

Kevin Burk

Nazario A Friend

Hi Kevin,

Please send via Private message (PM) the URL, Admin and FTP credential of your site so that I can have a closer check (you can rest assure the PM is confidential, just click on my username, you will see PM option)

kevinburk Friend

I sent you a PM over a week ago and you haven’t responded.

Nazario A Friend

I just checked your site. You customized the module Shopping Cart in the front-end only which will not apply for this module in Megamenu.

To customise this module which is loaded in the megamenu, you can add following rule in the file: /templates/your_template_name/css/custom.css

.mega-dropdown-inner .col-xs-6.mega-col-module {
    background: linear-gradient(to bottom, #FFF824 0%, #4CEF11 100%);
    padding: 20px;
    }

Hope this helps.

kevinburk Friend

That’s exactly the code I needed for this. Thanks!

And I never got your PM …*I’ve been checking, so something’s not quite working there.

So to be clear (and for other people) this is the custom code you need to adjust the background and styles of any module that you include in a MegaMenu?

Nazario A Friend

@ kevinburk,

As mentioned in my previous reply, to customise the CSS, simply follow this tip then add their CSS declaration into the file: ./templates/template_name/css/custom.css
    You can learn more about custom.css file here: http://t3-framework.org/documentation/bs3-customization#custom-css

Another tip for your reference, you can make change easily by using Google chrome inspect element or Firebug for Firefox. Just switch off Optimize CSS option in template manager then Firebug will show you which files/class you need to change.

kevinburk Friend

I know how to use the custom css file. What’s not working is the actual custom CSS. I’ve tried copying examples of Custom CSS from other posts to change the background colors of the MegaMenu. I’ve even dumped the entire MegaMenu CSS file in the Custom CSS file and changed all of the color declarations. No matter what I do, I can’t seem to get the menu background color to be anything other than dark gray.

Nazario A Friend

@ kevinburk,

Please give it a try to add following declaration into the /templates/your_template_name/css/custom.css file.

/* default background */
    .t3-megamenu .dropdown-menu {
    background: #008000;
    }

/* Hover background */
    .t3-megamenu .dropdown-menu .mega-nav > li a:hover {
    background: #515151;
    }

You can change the colour in red.

kevinburk Friend

Thanks so much —*that’s exactly what I was looking for!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

This topic contains 14 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  kevinburk 10 years ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum