Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

I took over editing this website from someone else, so when I got it everything was already installed and up and running. I’ve never done anything with creating or editing websites before so I am new to all of this and an extreme novice. I basically had to figure out how to do everything on my own and I was doing fine up until like 2 months ago. I was adding new pictures of our products to the website and updating a lot of the articles one day and everything was working fine. Then the next day I went in again and when I went in to the Media Manager and into the “Products” folder to upload some more pictures, the “Browse Files,” “Start Upload,” and “Clear Completed” buttons are all there, but the box to put the file name in is gone and nothing happens when you click on the “Browse Files” box. My other issue is that when I go into the Menu Manager and click on any of the “Menu Items,” it takes me to a page with nothing on it, so I can’t edit any of my menus or add a menu item to link a category to. I was playing around with things trying to figure it out and I somehow got the word “Absorbents” to show up on the “Products” menu on the left hand side of the page, but when you click on it, it takes you to a page that says “Article Title” and “#” and there’s nothing on the page. It’s supposed to be linked to the Absorbents section on the “All Products” page just like all the other items are that are on the “Products” menu. Like I said, I am fairly new at this and have basically self-taught my way through taking care of this site. All I need to be able to do is edit the pictures, articles, and menus and I’ll be good to go. But right now the only thing I am able to edit is the articles. I can’t upload pics or edit my menu items. Please HELP!! Thank you.

Adam M Moderator

Hi,

Could you please also provide a temporary FTP account as well ?

jackie820 Friend

As I said in my post, I’m pretty computer literate but I’m learning a lot of this stuff on the fly. I know what FTP means and what it is used for, but I need a little more clarification on what exactly you need FTP access to and what you want to do once you get that access. Are you trying to give me files or get files from me? When I submitted the post I put in my log in information for the backend of the website, are you able to see it? I guess I just don’t understand what the purpose of an FTP account is if you can log in to the backend and see exactly what I’m having issues with. Please let me know when you get a chance.

Thanks for your help!
    Jackie

Adam M Moderator

Hi Jackie,

Since you’re using very old version compare to the latest Joomla! version is 3.x, I need to take a closer look at some files in your site.

Normally, I can tell you which file should be checked for modification but as described above, there are lots of changes between your current version and latest version so for your convenient, I will investigate the issue and let you know how to solve it.

Note : The account is for investigation process only and I won’t make any change at all. In addition, I see many PHP warnings in your site, please open your_root_folder/configuration.php and look for this line :

public $error_reporting = 'development';

and change as follows:

public $error_reporting = 'default';

jackie820 Friend

So do you still need an FTP account? You can’t just log in to the backend and look at the files that way? I don’t know how to set up an FTP account. Also, I just tried to login to the backend and when I navigate to the login screen all this crazy stuff comes up that says like “Strict Standards” and a bunch of other stuff. I can’t even log in to the backend of my site! The same thing happens when I try to pull up my website normally too. Did you do something to it? Or are you in the process of doing something to it? I need my site up and running normally, I can’t have it inaccessible like this. Please tell me what is going on, it was not like this last week before I posted on this forum.

Thank you,
    Jackie

Adam M Moderator

Hi Jackie,

In this case, I will try to duplicate your site in my local and investigate the problem instead, but please note that it would takes more time than usual.

Back to the second matter, please edit configuration.php file as mentioned in my previous post. You can login to Cpanel >>> File Manager >>> edit configuration.php file >>> Save and it would solve the problem with PHP warnings.

jackie820 Friend

Adam,

I was able to get access to the Cpanel (the person whom I took over the website from gave me a login) but I have no idea what I’m doing. As I’ve already said, I am new to all of this and all I know how to do is use Joomla to edit the website, I don’t know how to use the Cpanel through our web host provider. The person that used to run the website knows how to do all that stuff, but I guess he doesn’t have time to do it anymore or something because trying to get him to help me has not been easy. Anyway, I don’t know how to fix those PHP warnings. I don’t understand why they even showed up in the first place. They weren’t there before I posted on this forum, so someone had to have gone in and done something. Bottom line is I need my website up and running normally, and through no fault of my own, it’s not. I don’t know anything about this stuff so I’m sure you can understand my frustration. I need someone to either walk me through how to fix it step by step, or log in and fix it for me. Please help, I don’t know what else to do.

Jackie

alexsmirnov Friend

Hi Jackie,

It would be not a bad idea to contact your web-host and check with them if they have a backup copy/copies of your web-site archived somewhere dating a month or two back. If such a backup exists, that will significantly safe our time and efforts. Some hosts create backups for their clients automatically, that is by default, so it’s worth checking.

I am sure, Adam already had this idea in mind asking access to your Cpanel/FTP account the first thing he’s replied you in this thread. Support is tango for two, and if you don’t do your part and help us help you, it’s hard to expect anything nice happen of it.

Regards,

Alex

jackie820 Friend

Alex,

Ok, I will do that. I apologize if it came across that I was not willing to do anything on my end to try to fix these issues, that is not the case at all. As I’m sure you can understand from my previous posts, I am just learning a lot of this stuff so most of it is like a foreign language to me. I will do what you said and try contacting my web host. I will also try to get the person who originally created the website to help me as much as I can. However, he is the one who suggested I try posting on this forum which leads me to believe that he is either unable or unwilling to help me. I will do whatever I can to try to resolve these issues, but any and all guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jackie

Adam M Moderator

Hi Jackie,

Please provide your cpanel account via private message (just click my username and you will see the link to send private reply), I will help you out.

Adam M Moderator

Hi Jackie,

Thanks for the info, I managed to fix the problem with menu item for you, please check again.

This happens because of a PHP upgrade done on your server (most likely by your hosting company). Usually PHP/MySQL updates to your server can mean trouble to your Joomla! website. Such updates, especially if your Joomla website is very old (version 1.5), can make your website fully dysfunctional.

About the problem with media upload, please login to Joomla! backend >>> Site >>> Global Configuration >>> switch to tab System >>> in Enable Flash Uploader >>> choose No then check again.

Hope that helps.

jackie820 Friend

ADAM!!! YOU ARE AMAZING!!!! THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH!!!! I cannot begin to explain to you how grateful I am for all your help!!! I haven’t done the thing with the media upload yet because I was so excited that you were able to fix my other problem, but I will do it here shortly. I may have some other questions along the way, is it ok if I keep in touch with you? If it is ok, would it be better to send you a private email? Should I do it through here or do you have another email I can write to? If it’s not ok, I completely understand. I’m sure it can be frustrating for you dealing with people who don’t know what they’re doing. Either way, I am so thankful for all your help. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!! 😀

~Jackie

Adam M Moderator

Hi Jackie,

Many thanks for your kind words.

We only provide support via forum or helpdesk system so if your question is related to this thread, please feel free to let me know here. If you have another matter, please submit another thread, we will assist you immediately.

jackie820 Friend

Thanks Adam, I did what you said about the media upload and it worked! I am having another issue now though. When I go to Components and click on eXtplorer, it doesn’t take me to the usual place where I can add files that I want to link to certain articles. I usually upload my MSDS and Data Sheets here and then link them to the page on my website that’s under the “MSDS and Data Sheets” tab. Any input on why this is or how I can fix it? I realize that I’m using a very old version of Joomla, am I just going to keep running into these problems because of that? I know it’s not easy (if it’s even possible) to upgrade to a more recent version, and I also know that certain things may not translate to the newer version and get screwed up anyway. So would it be worth it to just re-create the entire website from scratch?

Thanks!
    Jackie

Adam M Moderator

Hi Jackie,

1. About the problem with eXtplorer, I’m sure that you will get better assistant if you contact this component’s developer instead.

2. Actually, there’s no need to start from scratch. You can clone your current site to a sub-domain then upgrade your Joomla! version to latest version in 1 click.

More detail about how to duplicate your site can be found here :

1. http://docs.joomla.org/Copying_a_Joomla_website
    2. http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=622&t=726553&view=previous

Or you can use this component :

To upgrade your site from Joomla! 1.5 to Joomla! 3.0, you can take a look here :

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

This topic contains 15 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Adam M 9 years, 10 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum