Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Hi

I would like to be able to edit JA Lead .css files substantailly, however i am concerned with the work involved when updating the theme.

Can someone please suggest the best method for editing css so that the files are not overwritten upon updating.

Thanks very much in advance.

E

vitormarques Friend

Hi Wombat.

Let me see if I understand your problem… You want to do a lot of changes in css files from JA Lead template. But in the future if you need to update the template you don’t want the new css files to overwrite the ones you modified earlier.. is that right?

If I’m right I suggest you create a backup after all modifications in css files. Then after the update you overwrite template css files with your modified css files.

Let me know if that’s the solution for your problem.

Best regards,
    Vitor Marques

Arvind Chauhan Moderator

Dear wombat1,

In addition to Vitor answer, you can also compare the new files (new version) with the old file (your customized file), using freely available file comparison tool. I would suggest WinMerge .
    So, if the new file has some code edits, you can apply the same to your file and then replace them back. This way, your file gets updated to latest codes along with your customization.

But obvious the whole process will demand time from your side, but it is always wise to run the latest version of files, As updates are an ongoing process.

Arvind

wombat1 Friend

Hi Vitor

Yes, basically i want to do many edits and to know the best way to go about this,so yes, what you say makes sense and thats more or less what i do now, the problem being that i use several components and modules also and between the theme and the modules etc each site has arounf 20 style sheets to edit. Any time one makes an update it has to be done all over. I usually do what you have recommended but not all of these make publicaly available the changes to their css files and i was looking for something that might help with that.

Either way thanks very much for taking the time to reply.

wombat1 Friend

Yes indeed, some sort of comparison tool seems to be a good idea, sure it will still take time, but not as much and with a proper comparison tool i can be sure of any changes by the developers.
    Thanks so much for this, i will see what is available for Mac.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  wombat1 14 years, 3 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum