Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

I have two questions about navigation
    left Menu
    This seems like such a simple thing, but somehow I cant find how to change my main left menu text.
    kacadodl.com
    I want to change the word “categories” to “topics”
    I looked under category manager – main menu and nothing shows up. Somewhere I may of changed a name from the sample content to my name and maybe something isnt jiving.

URL
    I type in my url: kacadodl.com and it reads that in the url, but then it changes to the ip address and show folder path instead of relative to page names. My server support keeps saying it will change when the site propogates… but it has been more than two days.
    Any suggestions?
    thanks in advance
    s

arucardx Friend

Left Menu: Change Categories to Topics
    I see how it can be confusing. I tried looking into index.php but couldn’t find the relevant code and eventually realize that it’s actually a module. Just search for “Categories” in modules then rename the title to Topics =)

Url: Path Name in URL
    Ok your problem is what we IT people call a DNS issue, since I don’t know how your DNS setup is like, I can’t really advise you on here since it should be your hosting support’s problem to resolve. But still, yes it takes up to 72 hours to propagate worldwide, but normally local DNS servers will update within 24 hours. Still.. hmmm.. it looks propagated to me…

But looks more like the domain is sitting on the wrong root folder or you install in the wrong folder o.O tbh.. the index.php/homepage thing confuse me. I don’t understand why it’s displaying that way. But the way it looks like now, it seems you installed JA Wall in public_html/ka/quickstart so unless you get your domain to sit on that folder path… its correct the way it is now.

ibthe Friend

thanks so much for quick response. I did look in modules also, but somehow missed. Fixed now thanks to your help.

yes you are correctI did install in ka/quickstart and have home folder pointing to that for home
    so, I will give it another day and check back with server support 🙂

<em>@arucardx 340911 wrote:</em><blockquote>Left Menu: Change Categories to Topics
    I see how it can be confusing. I tried looking into index.php but couldn’t find the relevant code and eventually realize that it’s actually a module. Just search for “Categories” in modules then rename the title to Topics =)

Url: Path Name in URL
    Ok your problem is what we IT people call a DNS issue, since I don’t know how your DNS setup is like, I can’t really advise you on here since it should be your hosting support’s problem to resolve. But still, yes it takes up to 72 hours to propagate worldwide, but normally local DNS servers will update within 24 hours. Still.. hmmm.. it looks propagated to me…

But looks more like the domain is sitting on the wrong root folder or you install in the wrong folder o.O tbh.. the index.php/homepage thing confuse me. I don’t understand why it’s displaying that way. But the way it looks like now, it seems you installed JA Wall in public_html/ka/quickstart so unless you get your domain to sit on that folder path… its correct the way it is now.</blockquote>

ibthe Friend

my site urls are still going to my development folder..
    under global config / Server / my path to login i have
    /home/kacadodl/public_html/ka/quickstart/logs
    since my site went live is it ok to change that path to match my folder structure in my domain control panel…without messing up my site?
    A second issue is the name in the url… I believe this was brought up in another thread, but never seemed to be answered.
    If clicking on category such as on my page: if I click on category “green” this comes up in the url
    http://kacadodl.com/ka/quickstart/index.php/homepage/80-green-people-places-things
    but is I click more on a article it keeps the same url and doesnt show the url of the specific article.
    thanks for any insight in to these questions.
    ss

seaneo Friend

Hi ibthe,

regarding

“If clicking on category such as on my page: if I click on category “green” this comes up in the url
    http://kacadodl.com/ka/quickstart/in…-places-things
    but is I click more on a article it keeps the same url and doesn’t show the url of the specific article.”

I had the same problem, but I resolved by not making the article as a “pop-up”
    I changed the setting in Menus>Top – then opening the “Home” menu, then clicking on JA WALL parameters and changing “Popup preview” to NO.

This will show the article in it’s entirety as far as screen space including the specific URL.

I don’t know if this was the recommended way, but it worked as was okay for me as I preferred not to have a article pop-up

good luck!

arucardx Friend

ibthe, your problem is not a DNS issue, it’s something funky with your .htaccess that’s why the index.html is being exposed. My guess is you did not rename htaccess.txt to .htaccess in the Joomla folder.

Also, you can download the site and upload it back into the root folder of your hosting to resolve the subfolder path from appear in the url. Alternatively, you can seek advise from your hosting company on the usage of RewriteBase in .htaccess

ibthe Friend

I would like to get my site into the root folder… that sounds dangerous.
    Would everything: photos, links be messed up by doing this? What is considered the whole site.

I have sought help from my hosting company. and they suggested the renameing of the .htaccess file. I tryed this but when I turn on the “use url rewriting” in the global config and go to access the site…everything errors.
    The file I renamed is in the quickstart folder. I assume that is the correct file.
    thanks for any further comments on this subject.
    ss

ibthe Friend

seaneo.
    thanks for your comment
    I see what you mean. I really like the popup as the reader can keep continuity of page they originally clicked from… so dont about the url tradeoff??
    ss

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  ibthe 11 years, 6 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum