Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

link to page NOT in a menu

How do I link to page NOT in a menu?

This is generic to all 1.5 templates
    I have made a page and I want to link to that page. I do not want to make the page a menu item in any menu. The link will reside inside another page.

I have made the page and published it but am not clear on how to code a link to it inside the content of another page,
    I have simple url’s turned on but if I paste the name of the published page in the browser I see 404.

c

jwellman Friend

Often when I’m working on a site I will create an article that I need a link for. I will set the article temporarily in a menu position. I then copy the article address and then go back and delete it from the menu. Voila! You then have your article address.

The bad thing is, I’ve noticed in the newer templates I’m no longer able to do that. 😮

hanifahmed Friend

What I tend to do is make a new menu – one that is not displayed anywhere on the site and link it to that menu.

And like you said Jessica, I enable it temporarily till I get the link and then just disable the menu from the home page again. The link continues to exist however as the article is linked to a menu that’s just not visible!

jwellman Friend

…journal.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=48:welcome-back

Also… see the address above of an example article? You can also change the id number of the article and it will lead to the correct one. You can find the ID number in your Article Manager (all the way to the right)

cndglobal Friend

Thanks for the great response(s)

I’m not 100% clear on jwellman’s solution.
    <blockquote>.journal.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=48:welcome-back

Also… see the address above of an example article? You can also change the id number of the article and it will lead to the correct one. You can find the ID number in your Article Manager (all the way to the right)</blockquote>

So if I have made a page and it has an id of 55 are you saying if I change it to 56 or something it will be linkable?
    c

jwellman Friend

That’s what I’m saying… sorry for not being more clear!

cndglobal Friend

I remember this being an issue with joomla/mambo many versions ago. Sorry to see there is still no simple way to do this without a workaround.

My problem jwellman is that I have Search Engine Friendly URLs turned on so my urls are not showing the id #’s (which I like)

The “make in a non published menu” option works but it feels tying the trunk closed with rope on this Cadillac software joomla.

This is such a common occurrence in any web site structure I am surprised we are still having to use the rope method.
    c

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  cndglobal 15 years, 2 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum