Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Hello Everyone,

Lets welcome Mr. John Brett (jbrett), as our New JA Moderator. Brett is good and known to all, lets know more about him and welcome him.

1. Hi, can you introduce us a little about you? How did you get your nickname? Where do you live and do you like your place?

I am owner of “Stoner Creek Design”, a small Web design consultancy based in Paris, Kentucky, USA as well as webmaster for the Falls Church City Public Schools just outside of Washington, DC. I love the area…four seasons every year, very cosmopolitan, yet close enough to wilderness to escape to the coast or mountains when the stress reaches the boiling point.

2. How and when did you meet Joomla and JoomlArt?

Ran across an article about Joomla in 2004 (back in the pre-1.5 days) Joomlart was a welcomed discovery via Google in searching for design ideas and later for neat extensions.

3. Have you used other CMS? Why you choose Joomla? What do you like best in Joomla?

I loaded up Drupal one weekend to play around and see what I could do with it. I remember having the feeling that the back end looked a lot like the old XCart Gold ecommerce POS…that I think they are still selling. What a waste. I had also subscribed to Drupal’s “Security” listserve. …and that weekend I was bombarded with 14 separate emails concerning 14 different “new” security issues with Drupal. So it was quickly kicked off.

I’ve also worked more extensively with WordPress which I find a good solution for small, linear, blog-type applications.

But I love Joomla primarily for its extensibility and ease of customization. My only complaint about Joomla has been the overhead weight issues…which are being resolved as the days go on.

4. There are a lot of Joomla template providers out there, why is JoomlArt your decision?

I’m a Joomlart fan primarily because of the strong community. There’s not a problem I have come across that I can’t find an answer for in some fashion, either by forum searching, posting, or filing a bug report.

5. And what template do you think it’s best in JA portfolio up to now?

I’ve become a HUGE Selini fan of late. I was among the group who were disappointed when it first came out…but then I realized it was just the tamed down look of the demo. Not as flashy looking graphics or images as previous templates. But when you realize you’re not going to use the demo images anyway you start to look at the core of this template. This template really is incredibly powerful…sitting on the T3 framework…incredibly smart clean looking mobile view. The ONLY knock I can give it is that it apparently can’t handle JA News III with its vertically sliding Categories…or so I have seen in a post. I personally haven’t tried doing the surgery from TelineIII to Selini.

6. If you were the Leader of JA team, what is the first you thing you want to change in the templates, extensions?

1. Get the JANews III working on the T3 platform…or whatever the issue is.

2. Continue to concentrate on Mobile…as 2010 is when this finally matures. The iPhone started the movement, but the Droid with flash in January will seal the deal. A developer can no longer look at developing a site without concern for how the site operates or looks in a mobile device.

3. Get a first rate – non-complicated- video extension built and implemented. Joomlart, I think, is behind a little on this. Reverse engineering JoomlaXTC’s new flv player would be a great place to start. It works and works well.

7. What kind of the design you wanna to see in the coming time?

I would look at combining the positives of TelineIII and Selini and trick them out…but again, place close attention to the MOBILE version of the design.
    I would also like to see more Mobile design parameter options on the backend…freeing newbies from having to hack CSS.

8. Why do you want to be JA forum’s moderator?

I love helping people, but more importantly, by helping someone through a problem I usually learn more about it myself. I also love the excitement I feel in the person being helped. It’s great to be able to return the favor to those moderators who came before and were so helpful to me….and also to the A**hole moderators who came before, that I might be better than they were.

9. How do you plan to balance your full time work and supporting at JA forum as a moderator?

I’m in Joomlart every day… And the first place I go is the “Unanswered Posts” and work through those in the time that I have. I see that as the Joomlart’s front door. Getting the conversation going, even if it’s not solving the problem just yet, goes a long way toward a good first impression of Joomlart and it’s people. I can’t tell you the number of times I’ve been on other forums (RT and YT in particular) in which there was either no response or one laced with a tone of arrogance that has to this day given me a bad taste in my mouth.

10 Are you keen on any type of soft drinks while you are at keyboard? Do you smoke? 😛

Diet Coke, Coke Zero, Diet Mountain Dew. I smoked from 29 years…until one hour before my heart attack! Haven’t smoked since…but still love the smell.

11. What do you do at your free time? Any special hobbies?

I’m a big symphonic rock fan so I spend quite a bit of time listening, composing, playing on my Korg.

12. What is your current employment status (what do you do)?

Owner of “Stoner Creek Design”, a small Web design consultancy based in Paris, Kentucky, USA as well as webmaster for the Falls Church City Public Schools just outside of Washington, DC.

13. What would you name as the achievement you are most proud of in your life to date?

I’m the father of two incredibly beautiful daughters.

14. And finally, how about your marital status? Are you on date? Do you mind telling something about her?

I’m married to my high-school sweetheart. We date on a regular basis! She’s beautiful as well. She’s unavailable. J

Best of luck and Best Regards

Hung Dinh

questbg Friend

Congratulations John … your contributions and assistance have been invaluable here.

Arvind Chauhan Moderator

Hi John,

Well i concur with Chris (questb) on this. Your assistance here is a great help.

Best regards

Arvind

John Wesley Brett Moderator

Thanks guys. Love to help where I can!
    Joomlart has distinguished itself as a leader in not only current Joomla styles and technology, but shows amazing insight into what we’ll be doing next…which is an incredibly exciting ride.

Have fun!
    John.

cansay Friend

<em>@jbrett 172242 wrote:</em><blockquote>Thanks guys. Love to help where I can!
    Joomlart has distinguished itself as a leader in not only current Joomla styles and technology, but shows amazing insight into what we’ll be doing next…which is an incredibly exciting ride.

Have fun!
    John.</blockquote>

Agree 😀

Im amazed with the produts here at Joomlart 😀
    And WELLCOME 😀

jacquelinestarling Friend

You are already a valuable member and we’re lucky to have you.

Jackie

bennitos Friend

Hey John,

You been with us for quite a while now but Welcome again!

Great work with all your support in the forum, and lets not forget your good music taste!

Have a blast 🙂

J.

yohanes1112 Friend

Congratulation guys… you’re all the best. Thank you for keep supporting us through this forum…

we2solutions Friend

Congratulations John.wish u all the best

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

This topic contains 9 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  we2solutions 14 years, 1 month ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum