Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

For reasons i don’t get, our layout jumped around on our front page and i can’t figure out how to get it back to what it should be.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Our video and right menus jumped down to the bottom of the page.

I have attached a pic of the way our site looks on its front page and another showing how it should look–our sport page.

Site: the gatorbyte.com

Thanks

David

1. gb_front-page
    2. gb_sport
    dhuston53 Friend

Here is a pic of the front page lower down and where the video is now

1. gb_front-page2
    questbg Friend

Hi David

Have you published any ‘new’ modules or images in position ‘left’ or ‘right’? If so, it could be that they are slightly ‘wider’ than the space allowed in those columns.

Try ‘unpublish’ things one at a time (Hot Topics, Poll, etc.) until the page looks right again, then you should find which element of the site is the culprit!

Hope that works.

Good Luck
    Chris

dhuston53 Friend

If you look at the attached chart of module positions, the place where I want the video to go–the upper right hand corner–is labeled “D”–JA-TAB

But this is not one of the choices in the pop-up menu of the module menu.

Can anyone clarify this?

Thanks

David

1. ja-teline-ii-module-positions
    scotty Friend

This is why you should get in the habit of backing up your site or set a cronjob to back it up nightly. As mj1256 says… “it takes a minute to backup but can take hours to diagnose a fault”

I think guestbg is on the right track… it looks like content is causing the problem. You’ll have to find the common denominator between the pages that are right and the pages that are wrong.

Have you added and new extensions? Have you altered index.php or template.css since it last worked right?

Try disabling all modules and enabling one by one til you find the culprit.

dhuston53 Friend

Thanks everybody. Those are all good suggestions. Backing up is something I planned to get to, but since this is a new site I hadn’t gotten around to it.

I did disable all the modules on the right side columns, but the results are puzzling. When I restore Latest Video to User 5 position, it shows up in the correct place on the News page, but stubbornly sticks beneath the banner on the bottom of the Home page! Since it’s the same width for both, I don’t understand this behavior.

Where would I look for the differences in the coding on the two pages? Is this a css or html thing?

Any suggestions welcomed.

David

mj1256 Friend

When using joomla you need to be prepared to start over several times or at least be able to roll back to the previous working version

users should also be maintaining a change log of all files edited (with backups of oringianls and each editied version), components installed, modules moved, file and coed hacks excetera. Its a pain in the %#^, but it will save you a lot of trouble later on and give you reference notes when building other joomla sites

If I were you, and as this is a new site, start another installation in a subfolder and start all over. I sometimes have 3 or 4 dev sites until I finally get one that is error free. Starting all over will save you a lot of time as we don’t know what crashed your site.

If you use joomlapack, you can then easily move the finished working version to the root when your done.

and make backups after every change.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  mj1256 15 years, 6 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum