Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Well ! I have faced lots of issues in forum just because hosting configuration. So there are some ideas :

– For starting we should go w/ Cpanel. It’s easier to use ( compare with Plesk )

– Prevent hosting that using: DSO (mod_php) or CGI

– We can go with suPHP or FCGI.

– Safemode and base dir is turned off.

– Allow we overrides custom php.ini & htaccess

– GD / cURL ( w/ SSL ) / Imagemagik installed

– For better we can ask them ( Hosting provider ) how much RAM they allowed to use at a time .
    Specially your site using in heavy !!! ( by code or by traffic )

– apache / php mode very important ! It’s not only effect how site loading ( err not much if you have low traffic ) and permission !!!!

Beside that, with php / htaccess overrides we can force to display_errors so we can find out bugs / issues easier !

Just few ideas.

Thank you

n6rej Friend

With joomla 1.7 display errors can be forced by changing the log format in global configuration to maximum or developer

TomC Moderator

<em>@jooservices 289908 wrote:</em><blockquote>
    – For starting we should go w/ Cpanel. It’s easier to use ( compare with Plesk )
    </blockquote>
    I COMPLETELY AGREE WITH THIS ONE

In fact, I’d like to add GoDaddy to the list of “DO NOT USE” – in terms of web hosts. Rarely do I see a webhost provider as restrictive as GoDaddy insofar as a user’s ability to configure various elements on their own – such as database(s), file manager, etc. Whenever I’ve tried to perform an installation for a Member on a GoDaddy account, we always have to take extra step(s) of requesting additional configuration assistance from the GoDaddy Tech Support (which should not be a necessary step).

In any case, while some of my fellow Support Team may take exception, the following are some of the better/more flexible webhost providers I’ve come across and dealt with . . . .

JowWow

SiteGround

BlueHost

HostGator

@ JA SUPPORT TEAM . . .
    Feel free to add any additional webhosts to the list you’ve found to be decent, felxible and easy to work with.

😎

jooservices Friend

<em>@n6rej 289981 wrote:</em><blockquote>With joomla 1.7 display errors can be forced by changing the log format in global configuration to maximum or developer</blockquote>
    Not really ! We can ( should ) do that via php.ini .
    That’s server config side.

n6rej Friend

<em>@jooservices 290002 wrote:</em><blockquote>Not really ! We can ( should ) do that via php.ini .
    That’s server config side.</blockquote>
    YES REALLY.. I have display errors off on my server and can quickly and simply turn them on via “maximum developer” log style.
    yes it can be turned on in php.ini but many hosts for security reasons and quite frankly rightly so, don’t allow end-users to access php.ini on shared servers.

jooservices Friend

Joomla! debug mode

// Set the error_reporting
    switch ($config->error_reporting)
    {
    case 'default':
    case '-1':
    break;

case 'none':
    case '0':
    error_reporting(0);
    break;

case 'simple':
    error_reporting(E_ERROR | E_WARNING | E_PARSE);
    ini_set('display_errors', 1);
    break;

case 'maximum':
    error_reporting(E_ALL);
    break;

case 'development':
    error_reporting(-1);
    break;

default:
    error_reporting($config->error_reporting);
    break;
    }

Thank you

TomC Moderator

What does all of this have to do with choosing good Hosting for Joomla based sites?

:confused:

n6rej Friend

<em>@TomC 290924 wrote:</em><blockquote>What does all of this have to do with choosing good Hosting for Joomla based sites?

:confused:</blockquote>
    true :-[ sorry tom

Scott Lavelle Friend

I completely agree with Tom about the GoDaddy thing. For SO many reasons – proprietary interface being only one of them. Multiple windows and logins that expire are anbother. Their esoteric way of dealing with domains, especially if you are looking for the ability to specify your own name servers – even their help isn’t helpful.

But if I’m going to bash, I must give credit. I’ve been using and have been happy with my Virtual Private Server (VPS) from Burst Net (http://www.burst.net). WIth cPanel and their second tier product, it’s only about $20/month and has been fast, reliable, and great to host Joomla on as my development environment (aside from my local one),.

Scott Lavelle - Technical Resource Solutions, LLC
    Certified Joomla Administrator

Anonymous Friend

good post, thanks to sharing with us

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Anonymous 6 years, 4 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum