Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Can anyone recommend a good Joomla 1.5 book?

I looked on Amazon and they all seem to get terrible reviews. I am about to create my first Joomla site using the Pyrite template and I always like to have a decent book for reference.

I guess if there are no good Joomla books, perhaps I should get a book on CSS instead…

:confused:

sfpkent Friend

Hi,

It depends on which level you are now. If you are expert now, those book only for beginners but if you are beginner, Building Website with Joomla 1.5 is good enough.

If you don’t want a book, you can go for lynda.com and search for joomla.

Kent

aashwin Friend

Thanks for the response, but have you seen the reviews on Amazon for this book?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Building-Websites-Joomla-Hagen-Graf/dp/184719530X/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

It is obvious that the 5 star review is written by the author or one of his friends. However, it is equally possible that the terrible reviews are written by the author of a rival book. I wish people would just be more honest as I don’t want to risk wasting a lot of money!

aashwin Friend

I am a beginner btw… :((

sfpkent Friend

Hi,

Yes, I already viewed amazon.com for joomla book.

When Joomla 1.0, I bought the book “Building Website with Joomla 1.0”, when Joomla 1.5, I still bought another book “Building Website with Joomla 1.5” (same author), for me, the book is enough for beginner.

And, you don’t read only one book, there are Joomla Cash, The Little Joomla SEO Book, etc. So that you complete knowledge about joomla.

Kent

sunrise Friend

I have been using another book published by Wrox,
    Professional Joomla.

As the name implies, it has a lot of details, more than a beginner would need, but what I found is that once you strat, there are always more complicated questions that come up, so it is good to have on hand a book with answers to that. But I have not researched so extensively on this topic. hte book has given me a lot of help though.

sunrise Friend

I just thought I would add that the book “Building Website with Joomla 1.5” is also quite good.

The books are great, but one thing that I found more helpful and that I could not have done without is the Forum. Lots of great people alwasy ready to give help and advice and solutions. Thanks everyone!

ShannonN Friend

Barrie North put out a few good J 1.5 tutorials and ebooks etc he’s over at Joomlashack

sfpkent Friend

Hi aashwin,

Honestly speaking, I have read all the books for Joomla and finally I realised, the one most helpful is from forum, not from the books. Those book only give you a very basic (compared to forum) because each templates have different problem, each one has different hosting, different php version, different MySQL version, etc…………….

So, what I suggest is, pick one book that you think suitable for you, read the book, understand the concept of Joomla (this is the most important), practice what you have learnt from the book, from there you will have a lot of questions starting pop up in your mind, go to forum, SEARCH YOUR QUESTIONS FIRST, DON”T POST FIRST. Because most of your questions I believe are already answered in forums.

Even the most advanced web designers still have their own problem because internet keep changing. 🙂

All the best!
    Kent

aashwin Friend

Thank you all for the advice.

I will buy the book “Building Websites with Joomla 1.5”.

It’s great to know that there are people here who are willing to give up their own time to help a beginner. Thanks again.

🙂

sfpkent Friend

Hi aashwin,

You are welcome! You should thank you to Joomla team because they are the most generous. 🙂

Kent

ShannonN Friend

Hey good designers and forum users all know we were beginners once, me I’m capable but still have so much to learn myself 🙂

mae82my Friend

Building Websites with Joomla! 1.5 actually is a great book personally for me…i’ve bought it and read all the way…and it make me more understand the Joomla 1.5 function e.t.c…btw it is depand to other person or the preview on the book. Before buying there actually has mention the chapter (table of contents) what is included on the book so from there actually u can know what is the book about and you can decided if it is worth or not to buy…i dunno why the preview on the amazon is bad preview maybe they expected more in the book but came out something different…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

This topic contains 13 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  mae82my 15 years, 5 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum