Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Hey guys,

I want your opinion on the new rules coming into effect with Joomla 1.5. There’s obviously good and bad points about the situation, but don’t you think it destroys the point of open source when there’s things such as rules about bridges (eg the smf one) being banned because it’s against their license?

ErikThorsen Friend

I am not sure what I think about this. Yes, it is great to keep “everything” Open Source. However, I was actually unaware about bridging being banned as such. I thought this was only for commercial 3rd party components.

We need a few commercial components as well I think as not all people will create components/modules/extras without getting paid. If there is a way of creating a “member access section” for components and then create a “buggy” component and then give “fixed” versions to members, then perhaps easier but this would not be an ideal solution either.

I don’t know how to approach this myself. All I know is that Joomla needs to be as free as possible and I think it can still be that with commercial “suppliers” as long as the “main core” have all the standard functionality. If the Jooomla core was stripped then it would be a really bad thing.

I think “awarding” GPL/GNU would be just as helpful as banning commercial stuff.

Some credit and “award” system would possibly increase the number of GPL/GNU components and modules..

It is a difficult task to have a concrete opinion about I think. I am all for and all against it sort of ( from a web developers point of view )

Michael Casha Friend

<em>@ErikThorsen 22503 wrote:</em><blockquote>I am not sure what I think about this. Yes, it is great to keep “everything” Open Source. However, I was actually unaware about bridging being banned as such. I thought this was only for commercial 3rd party components.

We need a few commercial components as well I think as not all people will create components/modules/extras without getting paid. If there is a way of creating a “member access section” for components and then create a “buggy” component and then give “fixed” versions to members, then perhaps easier but this would not be an ideal solution either.

I don’t know how to approach this myself. All I know is that Joomla needs to be as free as possible and I think it can still be that with commercial “suppliers” as long as the “main core” have all the standard functionality. If the Jooomla core was stripped then it would be a really bad thing.

I think “awarding” GPL/GNU would be just as helpful as banning commercial stuff.

Some credit and “award” system would possibly increase the number of GPL/GNU components and modules..

It is a difficult task to have a concrete opinion about I think. I am all for and all against it sort of ( from a web developers point of view )</blockquote>
    Good comments. I’ve been sitting on the fence, however I just thought of something. People download Joomla to use Joomla.. most of the time, not to use some other product.

Also, there’s the fact that.. do you think Microsoft would make every program free for windows and stopping any commercial products? Do you think Linux would do the same? No. They won’t. Why, because we need commercial and free programs.

ErikThorsen Friend

The main point is to in some way “make” people create as many GPL/GNU components/modules/extras as possible and “penalize” the commercial ones in one way or another. I don’t think banning is the right approach but perhaps removing them from the extension part of Joomla or promoting the GNU/GPL ones better. Awards works better than penalties is my general opinion.

Michael Casha Friend

<em>@ErikThorsen 22511 wrote:</em><blockquote>The main point is to in some way “make” people create as many GPL/GNU components/modules/extras as possible and “penalize” the commercial ones in one way or another. I don’t think banning is the right approach but perhaps removing them from the extension part of Joomla or promoting the GNU/GPL ones better. Awards works better than penalties is my general opinion.</blockquote>
    Yeah, I could agree with that. Don’t add them to the extensions site, but banning something like an smf bridge. Come on!

swemmel Friend

As far as I can read from this thread, there will be nothing changed. It always has been the same. only now they tried to make clear to the community what the GPL-license is all about.

But, I agree, all these rumours is very confusing to me and will do no good to the Joomla-Community.

Michael Casha Friend

<em>@swemmel 22523 wrote:</em><blockquote>As far as I can read from this thread, there will be nothing changed. It always has been the same. only now they tried to make clear to the community what the GPL-license is all about.

But, I agree, all these rumours is very confusing to me and will do no good to the Joomla-Community.</blockquote>
    Well the situation with the SMF bridge is true, they won’t be developing it any longer. Also, extensions will be allowed to be distributed if anyone feels like it.. legally.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Michael Casha 16 years, 9 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum