Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Hi guys the JA T3 2.0 is awesome.. however it wont be so great if we cant port 1.5 to 1.6. I hear Joomla dosent have anything available to upgrade 1.5 sites to joomla 1.6.

I think it would be good if Joomlart took the initiative in helping Joomla users to get their Joomla 1.5 to 1.6. Joomla will not be providing this and if Joomlart can take this up then i can see a lot of people coming to Joomlart for this which will help many joomla users and in turn provide great publicity for Joomla art.

Do think about an extension which will do this.

Cheers

korb Friend

Hi,

We are moving towards J1.6, that is why we have a T3 Framework 2.0 for J1.6. Please also read here.

Joomla! 1.6 is not yet released as stable, therefore developers are not developing stable versions for J1.6 yet. However, this new CMS version is quite capable to handle all J1.5 extensions on MVC structure, this could make easier upgrading your website later. In my opinion, the most difficult part will be SEF URL porting from old links to new SEF links. Most users must understand that SEF links don’t really matter so much, only metadata and content uniqueness. Why SEF only? because I haven’t seen any significant difference in Joomla! database for core extensions, therefore third party extensions will be very much the same as before, just a few functions to be replaced here and there.

Right now JA team is working hard on upgrading / testing extensions and templates for J1.6.

So as soon as Joomla! 1.6 gets stable, all developers will upgrade their extensions in very short time.

Regards,
    Danny

kayz Friend

Hi i think you may have misunderstood me completely.

This is only about Joomla.

Joomla will not have anything to upgrade all 1.5 users to 1.6. They will not have a port for this.

I was suggesting if Joomlart can create something which will help 1.5 users change their website to 1.6 then Joomlart will become very popular among the Joomla community.

Joomla.org is not going to provide the changeover from 1.5 to 1.6, this is what i am trying to say. If somebody like Joomlart, who i think is more than capable of doing this will be great and become a success among the community.

Can Joomlart consider taking up the task of providing something to help 1.5 users upgrade their website to 1.6?

iguinee Friend

This is a valid question.

However, I believe that JA will not be counting on others to develop such an extension for migration, unless they are working in partnership with other developpers.

As JA have paying members and large numbers of fans, they should develop such a tool for, maybe for the Extensions Club, for the use of Extensions, Templates and Developpers members. In that way, others, non JA, could purchase the extension. By doing so, the community will become larger and larger and LARGER.

Please note that there are many bridges that will only be crossed once we reach them.

kayz Friend

<em>@iguinee 210021 wrote:</em><blockquote>This is a valid question.

However, I believe that JA will not be counting on others to develop such an extension for migration, unless they are working in partnership with other developpers.

As JA have paying members and large numbers of fans, they should develop such a tool for, maybe for the Extensions Club, for the use of Extensions, Templates and Developpers members. In that way, others, non JA, could purchase the extension. By doing so, the community will become larger and larger and LARGER.

Please note that there are many bridges that will only be crossed once we reach them.</blockquote>

Yes this is precisely what i mean. JA simply needs to create an extension which ports 1.5 to 1.6. Because Joomla.org is not going to do this anymore. This means all Joomla 1.5 people are stuck with 1.5 and cannot upgrade.

If JA make a plugin for members then i can gurantee 100% JA will become rich with lots of new members wanting the extension.

Don Lee Friend

Hi guys,

Its a good idea 🙂 but I think this is a very diffucutlt request :-[ There are so many changes while our devs are not Joomla core team, so they would not be sure about things must be done 🙂
    If we had a such tool, our team would not be hard in the work of upgrading our templates/extensions to J1.6 that we have being spent much time for 😀

kayz Friend

<em>@Don Lee 210447 wrote:</em><blockquote>Hi guys,

Its a good idea 🙂 but I think this is a very diffucutlt request :-[ There are so many changes while our devs are not Joomla core team, so they would not be sure about things must be done 🙂
    If we had a such tool, our team would not be hard in the work of upgrading our templates/extensions to J1.6 that we have being spent much time for :D</blockquote>

Thank you Lee for your reply.

Yes i understand, but this request is not my request. This request is from hundred thousands of Joomla users and developers. Having a Joomla port from 1.5 to 1.6 will be very popular, more popular than having joomla templates.

I ask this request because if joomla art can do this then they can make $$$$$$, because Joomla is not currently providing this.

🙂

Don Lee Friend

<em>@kayz 210491 wrote:</em><blockquote>Thank you Lee for your reply.

Yes i understand, but this request is not my request. This request is from hundred thousands of Joomla users and developers. Having a Joomla port from 1.5 to 1.6 will be very popular, more popular than having joomla templates.

I ask this request because if joomla art can do this then they can make $$$$$$, because Joomla is not currently providing this.

:)</blockquote>

yes I know how it could be important. But I think we are impossible, not have enough time to do that. I believe that it could take more time than the Joomla team has built J! from 1.5 to 1.6 😎 otherwise they did it. Due to the structure of J! was changed so much, so in order to port, you will need to change/convert every code line of thousands :p Thus how could we make the tool smart enough to understand then convert php functions automatically?

kayz Friend

<em>@Don Lee 210494 wrote:</em><blockquote>yes I know how it could be important. But I think we are impossible, not have enough time to do that. I believe that it could take more time than the Joomla team has built J! from 1.5 to 1.6 😎 otherwise they did it. Due to the structure of J! was changed so much, so in order to port, you will need to change/convert every code line of thousands :p Thus how could we make the tool smart enough to understand then convert php functions automatically?</blockquote>

Yes i understand. What about simple joomla websites? Surely PHP does not need converting because only the database content needs importing. Like J1.5 article content from database table to J1.6 articles content database table. This should work, no?

Don Lee Friend

<em>@kayz 210495 wrote:</em><blockquote>Yes i understand. What about simple joomla websites? Surely PHP does not need converting because only the database content needs importing. Like J1.5 article content from database table to J1.6 articles content database table. This should work, no?</blockquote>

I found this extension that may be helpful for us but it is still said to be unstable http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions/migration-a-conversion/joomla-migration/11658

@kayz: you should not submit a ticket to remind us/Mr.HungDinh about looking on your forum posts, we always keep eyes on all forum posts. Whenever you have an issue and post it to the forum, it will be generated to a ticket, in this case your ticket is SKO-688-94210 Remember, the ticket is just for our tracking 🙂

korb Friend

Both J1.5 and J1.6 use almost same db tables for content component. Small differences in the jos_categories table for category metadata and jos_menu also for metadata. This makes easy porting the content and generally all db. That is why a db migration script is easy to do.

When it comes to PHP or JS it is totally different:
    – Joomla! 1.5 uses MooTools 1.1 and Joomla! 1.6 uses MooTools 2.x. There are very few extensions compatible with both MooTools series.
    – Now for the PHP: J1.5 requires PHP 4.1 or higher but J1.6 require at least PHP 5.2.x.
    Read more here http://www.joomla.org/technical-requirements.html

So it is quite a big jump don’t you think? On the other hand, if there is a geek to develop such PHP convertion script, would you trust that script will generate a 100% valid code? I think all developers know that the best way is to re-code everything on the latest coding standards.

Let’s not talk about MySQL, that is another long story.

Well, this should be clear enough.

Regards,
    Danny

mailgser Friend

That’s true, I’m stuck with J1.5 now. Would be great if there is upgrade tool from 1.5 to 1.6.

<em>@kayz 210029 wrote:</em><blockquote>Yes this is precisely what i mean. JA simply needs to create an extension which ports 1.5 to 1.6. Because Joomla.org is not going to do this anymore. This means all Joomla 1.5 people are stuck with 1.5 and cannot upgrade.

If JA make a plugin for members then i can gurantee 100% JA will become rich with lots of new members wanting the extension.</blockquote>

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

This topic contains 12 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  mailgser 13 years, 1 month ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum