Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Hi there!

I used to be a member and now I have a problem with the template; I understand you don’t provide support for no members but please be empathetic

Look at my site using Explorer:

http://www.creaturealidad.com

There are simbols and words between the articles: <!—-> <!—->

What shoul I do?

If there is a member who has had this same problem I really appreciate some advice.

Thanks in advance,

Eliana

scotty Friend

Did you copy and paste from Microsoft word to edit or create your articles? This is usually the cause.

You need to clean the HTML. I think there is a button on the Joomla editor to do this.

It’s not a fault with Teline.

Good ol’ Microsoft do it again. Microsoft cause the problem in the first place but it only actually is a problem if you use IE to view the page. Makes me LOL!

elianael Friend

scotty,

Thanks for your answer (this is the fastest answer I ever got here)

I used that button to clean messy code and nothing happen.

Listen, I’m not saiyng it’s a Teline problem, but it’s a problem I didn’t have with my previous template; I’m using another Joomlart template (Pariiti) and don’t have this problem… so what should I think? I use exactly the same procedure to publish the articles in both sites, same Joomla version…

This is very frustrating, really.

Any ideas? Should I change the template?

Thanks

Eliana

scotty Friend

Your welcome!

elianael;104834 Should I change the template?

No.

The problem is not the template. The problem is you are copy and pasting HTML from a bad source ie. Microsoft.

elianael Friend

Ok Scotty, let’s say it’s not Teline problem, then why I don’t have the same problem in other templates (in which I copy and paste articles from Microsoft Word)? I have been doing my work this way since I started and never had any problems until the template was changed.

Anyway, I really don’t care if the problem is Teline or not, I just want to solve the issue. I have 550 articles in the site… Is there a way I can solve the problem without having to correct each article?

Any help from staff members or regular user would be very appreciatted; this is my main site, please…

Thanks

Eliana

questbg Friend

Hi elianae

Coulud you go to one of the articles in question (in back end) and click the ‘HTML’ tab and post a screen grab, that way we will know if it’s strange code or not?

Sorry, I can’t view your site as I’m on Mac, everything looked fine to me in Firefox and Safari.

scotty Friend

Hi again Eliana, not only is the problem not Teline, it’s not Joomla either. The problem is Microsoft Word ads tags that are not needed. Other browsers have fixed this problem with Word generated HTML but Internet Explorer (ironicly Micro$oft too!) has not. There are several reasons that it may have happened this time and not others like slightly different version of TinyMCE or a slightly different config in your MSO.

My best advice would be to post in the Joomla forums as you are certainly not the first it has happened to.

As it’s not a template problem, not a Joomla problem, and your membership has expired, I think you are unlikely to get help from JA Staff but I hope I’m wrong.

scotty Friend

questbg;104863Hi elianae

Coulud you go to one of the articles in question (in back end) and click the ‘HTML’ tab and post a screen grab, that way we will know if it’s strange code or not?

Sorry, I can’t view your site as I’m on Mac, everything looked fine to me in Firefox and Safari.

Here’s a grab of some of the sites HTML…
    <w:WordDocument>
    <w:View>
    Normal
    </w:View>
    <w:Zoom>
    <w:HyphenationZone>
    </w:HyphenationZone>
    <w:DoNotOptimizeForBrowser/>
    </w:WordDocument>
    </xml>
    <!–>
    <!– /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:Verdana; panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:536871559 0 0 0 415 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:””; margin:0cm; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:”Times New Roman”; mso-fareast-font-family:”Times New Roman”; mso-ansi-language:EN-US; mso-fareast-language:EN-US;} @page Section1 {size:612.0pt 792.0pt; margin:70.85pt 3.0cm 70.85pt 3.0cm; mso-header-margin:36.0pt; mso-footer-margin:36.0pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} –>
    <p class=”MsoNormal”>
    <span style=”font-size: 10pt; font-family: Verdana;”>
    El
    <strong>
    Amor de tu Vida
    </strong>
    , la pareja que necesitas para ser feliz y completarte como pers…
    </span>
    </p>
    <p class=”MsoNormal”>
    <!—->
    <!—->
    </span>
    </p>
    <p class=”MsoNormal”>
    <!—->
    <!—->
    </span>
    </p>

You can see all the MSOffice rubbish straight away.

mj1256 Friend

Scotty is correct, word code will not work

if you do not know html, what you can try doing is taking your original word document, copy and paste the text into note pad or textpad

then copy from there into your joomla editor of choice, MCE or JCE. Of course you will have to manaully format the text at that point with the editor.

But be advised, the editors make bad code also. The best approach is to hand code all of your content items and enter it in as code in the editor (there is a button for it on both editors) or turn the editors off completely and enter the raw code in that way.

scotty Friend

I’ve had a look around Joomla.org and Google and it seems there is no magical quick fix for this.

You really have two options… the first is to manually edit all 500+ articles to remove the bogus code.

The second, and the one I would do, is to install Joomlapack and backup your website and database. Then take your backed up database .sql file (which is just a text file) and open it with a program capable of ‘Find and Replace’ (NOT MS WORD :p I suggest Notepad2.exe). Search for class=”MsoNormal” and all the other code unique to Word and click the replace button without entering anything to replace it with. Install your back up on a test server and see if it now works right. The danger is that .sql is VERY particular and the smallest mistake will make the whole site fail.

If you don’t feel confident to do this then when you have the backup made (which will be one zip) email it to me (addy in profile) and I’ll do it for you.

I feel sorry for you at the thoughts of editing 500+ articles.

You can download Joomlapack here… http://www.joomlapack.net

elianael Friend

Hi Guys,

Thank you very much for your help, all of you.

Scotty I’m going to do the backup you suggested and let you know if I need any help once I have the backup made.

Eli

imsleepy Friend

My 2 cents worth…

I would simply go to each page using your browser, cut and paste the text to Notepad. Then I would open my editor in my Joomla install, delete the text of th e article, open the HTML view to make sure it is empty (the editor window might look empty, but there could be some lingering code), then go back to the edit view and paste from Notepad to the editor.

Notepad doesn’t have any gobbledy-gook in it.

In the future, you can use Word to type your articles so that you can use your spell and grammar checker, the just copy and paste from Word to Notepad, then from Notepad to your Joomla editor.

I know this sounds like a bit of a pain, but it’s the easiest way I can think of to do this.

Currently I am taking a 700 page HTML website to a Joomla site. The procedure of copying straight from the browser to notepad then to the editor has worked for me. No massive typing to do. Whatever you do, don’t copy straight from your browser to the Joomla editor or you will still get all the unwanted code.

Hope this helps. I know it’s hard to think about changing that many articles. I have the same chore ahead of me just moving from HTML site to Joomla site.

scotty Friend

Have you any idea how long it would take to open, edit, and resave 500+ articles? It must be days, if not weeks.

Why go through all that when you could just edit the .sql and fix the problem in less than an hour?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

This topic contains 13 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  scotty 15 years, 4 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum