Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Hello. There is a very good extension that exists called the Random Background Module. I have used this before on other sites, and it allows you to set a specific image (or a random one) as a background on different pages. It’s a module, so it is not set through css. We intend on using it to serve different background images to different viewers based on their ip addresses.

Unfortunately, the JA Purity II Template, which is absolutely fantastic, is incompatible with it. Essentially, enabling the module with a background image does nothing. It displays the title of the module, and when you go into the source for the page you see that the image is being called, but it is not being displayed. The JA Purity ii template is overwriting the display of the image in the module.

I would love to figure out how to hack the template so that I can have this great module work for us. This may be a simple fix.

The module is available here for testing:
    http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions/style-a-design/templating/6054

and you can view this (not) working on this site:
    http://www.jimluce.com/site2/ (click “contact us” at the bottom of the page, and you will see “Backgroundtest” at the upper right, which is where the background would appear. I’d provide the actual url but it contains all the component info and the URL is about to be rewritten by an SEF module.)

I am using the latest version of JA Purity ii.

Any ideas on how to make the module behave with JA Purity ii would be appreciated.

Thanks!

luciffere Friend

In firefox a see this error:
    Error: the xajax Javascript component could not be included. Perhaps the URL is incorrect?
    URL: http://www.jimluce.com/site2/plugins/system/blueflame/xajax/xajax_js/xajax_core.js

Probably is a incompatibility with your module and the mootools

jimluce Friend

HAHA! You were actually visiting my site when I was editing it, and I was fiddling with a .htaccess file in a specific folder for an entirely different issuewhen I started getting that error. It’s just a coincidence you visited the site and saw that; that error was only displayed for maybe 2 minutes. Amusing…:-)

Please try again my friend and visit my site; you won’t see that error. if you do, clear your cache.

mimi13 Friend

<a href=”http://www.dearwatches.com”>replica watches</a>

watches replica:-*

ssaxton Friend

Hi
    I’ve had that module installed for a few days and its working. I’m going to use it to place a water mark on selected pages of the site. The only issue that I’m having is that I can’t get it to stop repeating the image across the page. Is this the same problem you’re having?

Steve

jimluce Friend

Hello. Please let me know what you did to install it. I am using the JA Purity ii template, with the layout of left-main-right.square. No matter what module position I install it in, the background is always white.

I add a module position at the top of the php file for user11, one that doesnt appear to be used, but while it shows the background, it screws it up in other ways. What module position are you showing it in? How are you getting an image to display?

As far as your repeating, thats a css issue you can just code into the module Additional CSS field…

ssaxton Friend

Ok first you have to understand that I’ve only been working with Joomla for a couple of weeks. I know Html, css and a bit of Javascript, but know nothing about php. I’m using the ja purity II template also.

Here’s what I did. I downloaded and installed the extension and then just started tinkering with it. I did NOT read the instructions ( http://www.joomla4more.com/background-module-installation-instructions) So step two………………

Place a module tag in your template, for example:
    <jdoc:include type=”modules” name=”user1″ style=”xhtml”/>

……………I didn’t do that, still haven’t, dunno where its supposed to go and have no idea what its supposed to do anyway.

As a result I get a tiled background image on whatever page or pages I choose, no matter whether its placed in user1, user2 or any other user for that matter.

My problem now is that I need a single image for a watermark on a few of the pages but I can’t get it to stop tiling, even when I at ” no-repeat” to the css.

Hope this helps.

Steve

ssaxton Friend

I’ve now placed the module tag and it makes no difference to the outcome. I’ve got the image but its repeating.

Steve

imrozz Friend

same stuff, it does not work, any one to help plz.

ssaxton Friend

<em>@imrozz 176160 wrote:</em><blockquote>same stuff, it does not work, any one to help plz.</blockquote>

I’m using XAMPP server with 1.7.1, joomla 1.5.15 and ja purity II v. 1.2.0.

I installed it, disabled all modules which I will not be using and assigned it the right side position.
    I made sure the appropriate CSS was set to transparent and voila!, c’est magnifique!
    I have it running on two sites with no problem.

aprox Friend

could you be more specific of what made it work for you?
    I am using the template and would like to be able to say ‘voila!’ too.

ssaxton Friend

<em>@aprox 178641 wrote:</em><blockquote>could you be more specific of what made it work for you?
    I am using the template and would like to be able to say ‘voila!’ too.</blockquote>

Tell you what…… you tell me:

1. what you are expecting to be able to do with the module.
    2. What you’ve tried thus far.

From that I’ll try and identify what the difference is between our approaches.

Cheers,
    s

aprox Friend

Hi ssaxton,

Good questions! There’s no one trick that does it all of course…
    What i want is to be able to use the ‘unused’ space left and right of the template for coloring or imaging.
    Much like what you see here actually; where the strokes left and right of the template are blue.
    Also it would be nice to change the background color of the main body.
    What i have done so far is install the com_background module…… nothing else.

Santé,
    aprox

ssaxton Friend

Ok you’ve installed, now enable it and position it in the “left” position.
    Next use Firebug ( http://www.getfirebug.com ) to help you change the background color of the appropriate Div’s in the layout.css file from #FFFFFF to transparent.

You mentioned having the ability to display graphics on both sides of the template
    To do that with a single background image you’ll need to make sure the Purity II template layout is fixed and not liquid. In other words use the narrow setting to start with. Then design your background graphic. When I do it I make one 1400 pics wide and 1100 high to accommodate wide screens. Your design, you will have to play with to get everything positioned correctly.

And if all that doesn’t appeal to you and your simply trying put graphics down the side of your layout, try using a component called flexheader which allows you to position graphics in module positions. http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions/photos-a-images/articles-images/4944

Hope this helps,

S

aprox Friend

Thanks ssaxon,

I have come this far…. not with the module, just with CSS.
    http://christianbulesz.com/
    Maybe i stick to this for the moment, untill i have courage again to try more….
    But as it is now i need some spacing between articles, in the middle of the main body.
    I don’t know how to do that though.
    Maybe you do?

If possible, i would like to take a look at your site and see what you made of it.

Anyhow, thanks so far.

aprox

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

This topic contains 16 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  ssaxton 14 years ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum