Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

I am about to start using JA k2 Filter, and very happy with it so far. I know this question has come up earlier on this forum, but there are certain things that i belive is important to have in mind when starting a new project using JA K2 Filter. As for now, we all know that JA K2Filter is more powerful than JA MEGAFILTER, as i understand, the pros in short: more functions and most important it can handle more data effectively. But this is mainly because of the companion extension k2.

Is there any need of K2 today with the use of Joomla 3.8.x and the 4x coming very soon ? Things to have in mind is that, joomla 3.8.x is catching up, where we now can use custom fields and groups, and by joomla 4x this will be even better. At the same time this happening, the K2 development seems to have slowed down a lot, even if the forum is active, the release of v3 of the k2 component seems not coming at all, i read on there forum that there isn’t going to be a K2 version 3, and there’s no guarantee K2 will get security updates or run on Joomla 4.

I might be wrong about k2s future, hope i am, but when starting a new project, i belive this is an important factor to have in mind, dont get me wrong, i am a big fan of k2, but joomla is finally getting thos extra things included in their core, we need to be realistic, maybe k2 is coming to an final end road, this might happen already at joomla v4, lets hope not.

The advantages of using JA Megafilter would be:

Pros

• Runs natively on joomla
    • No need of using k2 extension
    • More Future proof since it is not dependent on any 3rd party extensions.

Cons

• Not powerful as JA K2
    • Anything else i missed ?

Some thoughts/questions

1. Will you make JA Megafilter more powerful, so it can handle more data effectively and match the JA k2 filter ? If yes, when will this happen?
    2. What is your view of this, should we ditch the JA K2 Filter for JA Megafilter and hope that you further improve the JA Megafilter to be as powerful as the current JA K2 FIlter, or should we have faith in that the K2 team continues to develop K2 for upcoming joomla versions ?
    • This topic was modified 6 years, 4 months ago by  wolly.
    Saguaros Moderator

Hi,

You’re right, so many people love to use K2 for their websites but the same concern about its future coz there is not much development/improvement for recent Joomla version and Joomla 4 is coming pretty soon. I totally agree with you that K2 is a powerful CCK with lots of features but with current versions of Joomla and its plan for future development, it also supports most of those features so you can consider using Joomla content. In case that you’re familiar with K2, you can keep using it and in the future when yiou want to move to com_content, you can use a 3rd party extension which help to convert K2 to com_content (we also provide this migration extension).

For JA K2 Filter and JA Mega Filter components, K2 Filter has been developed for long time and it’s used for K2 content only so it surely has more features than JA Mega Filter. With JA Mega Filter, as its name, we want to provide an extension which helps to work with different types of content. We are still receiving requests/ wishlist from our customers to improve this component. We’d also love to have best extension so if you have any requests/features in mind for this component, kindly share with us. The team will consider and update.

Regards

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Saguaros 6 years, 4 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum