Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    VisiGod Friend

The Joomla! 2.5 version doesn’t support K2, which means it is simply not ready. Or at least it is not available for download.

TomC Moderator

<em>@VisiGod 301485 wrote:</em><blockquote>The Joomla! 2.5 version doesn’t support K2, which means it is simply not ready. Or at least it is not available for download.</blockquote>
    Do you mean that the K2 component is not compatible with K2? … or that K2 is not included with the updated JA Bistro 2.5?

There is a difference.

VisiGod Friend

There is no K2 support in the downloadable template for version 2.5. Either it was misses or I don’t know.
    So the problem is: there are no overwrites, no css for k2 in the ja_bistro template download for Joomla! 2.5 (don’t know about the quickstart).
    <em>@TomC 301564 wrote:</em><blockquote>Do you mean that the K2 component is not compatible with K2? … or that K2 is not included with the updated JA Bistro 2.5?

There is a difference.</blockquote>

TomC Moderator

I do not believe that K2 has been integrated with the J2.5 updates (to date).
    As such, you would need to install and configure the K2 component manually.

VisiGod Friend

So the JA Bistro is not Joomla! 2.5 ready then… why did you release it at all?

TomC Moderator

<em>@VisiGod 301571 wrote:</em><blockquote>So the JA Bistro is not Joomla! 2.5 ready then… why did you release it at all?</blockquote>
    Once again … you are not understanding the difference here . . . . . or else, you are trying to play a game of semantics.

The integration/non-integration of a 3RD PARTY component is not synonymous to a template being J2.5 ready.

JA Bistro – as a stand alone TEMPLATE for the Joomla CMS – is J2.5 ready.

If you wish to integrate the 3RD PARTY K2 component into your JA Bistro based site – provided the version of K2 you are wanting to integrate is compatible with J2.5 – then you are certainly free and capable to do so.

Trimud Friend

Tom, it seems that K2 overrides are not included in 2.5 package.
    We will have to investigate this further it seems.

Regards

TomC Moderator

<em>@Trimud 301573 wrote:</em><blockquote>Tom, it seems that K2 overrides are not included in 2.5 package.
    We will have to investigate this further it seems.

Regards</blockquote>
    Two separate and apart issues, here . . . .

Once again . . . the integration/non-integration of a 3RD PARTY component is not synonymous to a template being J2.5 ready.

JA Bistro – as a stand alone TEMPLATE for the Joomla CMS – is J2.5 ready.

VisiGod Friend

Hi Tom,

I am not playing any games. I just read a blog post and a nice list of templates upgraded to Joomla! 2.5. Well, JA Bistro had template overwrites, css in the template folder. These were essential part of that template.
    So when I started the upgrade process from Joomla! 1.5 to Joomla! 2.5 I expected that there will be no major changes in the template. However, there were features missing, which means that the JA Bistro version for Joomla! 2.5 is not yet fully ready as it is available for Joomla! 1.5.
    Now I checked out the template page and there it is stated that the K2 support is not available, except for the version running on Joomla! 1.5. Which is clear, but this information should be included in the blog post as well. It is not an issue of life and dead, but I spent few hours to get surprised that JA Bistro is not fully updated, but only in part.

AND JUST TO LET YOU KNOW – I HOPE YOU WILL UNDERSTAND THAT ONE: WHEN JA BISTRO WAS RELEASED, I DECIDED TO USE BECAUSE IT OFFERED SUPPORT FOR K2 THROUGH CSS AND TEMPLATE OVERWRITES. And now you are telling me that this is not a template feature. To be honest, I really hope that this is YOUR STATEMENT and not statement by Joomlart! 🙂
    I think you have certain issues of differentiating template features, third party extensions and so on. Probably a training on Joomla! basics could help you.

TomC Moderator

<em>@VisiGod 301579 wrote:</em><blockquote>
    I think you have certain issues of differentiating template features, third party extensions and so on. Probably a training on Joomla! basics could help you.</blockquote>
    Firstly, my statements are my own – though reflect the relative logic and reality of the situation.

Secondly, I find your closing statement somewhat ironic . . . as it seems you have some issues differentiating what a “template” is versus a “turn-key” website.

JoomlArt develops and produces TEMPLATES for the Joomla Content Management System. JoomlArt does not develop turn-key/plug-and-play websites. There are elements of customization and modification that are involved – always has been, always will be. This is true for ANY/EVERY Joomla Template Club out there.

The issue here is that JoomlArt has not yet developed/updated the stylings and overrides for the K2 elements that were integrated in with the J1.5 version of JA Bistro for our J1.7/J2.5 updated templates. No one has or is refuting this issue. However, such DOES NOT equate to our JA Bistro template not being J2.5 ready – it is . . . . just without use/inclusion of the K2 CCK component at this time.

Therefore, at this particular point-in-time, you have some options . . .
    1. Continue to utilize your J1.5 based JA Bistro based website – which should be every bit as functional as the day you launched it
    2. Manually install the K2 CCK into your J2.5 template and work on integrating/updating the styling, configurations and overrides

So, in conclusion, and to reiterate . . . our JA Bistro TEMPLATE for the Joomla CMS is J2.5 ready.

😎

jabbers Friend

I just purchased a membership to get JA Bistro. I am a bit concerned, having read this thread, as to which Joomla version of Bistro I should install. I am not in a position to perform the not-yet-completed work referenced above.

Is there a stable 1.7 version of Bistro, or was the 1.7 release of Bistro rolled into the 2.5 release and therefore equally lacking in the K2 area? I am particularly interested in the Social Media features incorporated in the more recent Joomla versions, but truly want a stable, completely functional build on Bistro.

–Many thanks

TomC Moderator

<em>@jabbers 302018 wrote:</em><blockquote>I just purchased a membership to get JA Bistro. I am a bit concerned, having read this thread, as to which Joomla version of Bistro I should install. I am not in a position to perform the not-yet-completed work referenced above. </blockquote>
    Once again . . . JA Bistro is completely compatible with Joomla v2.5

<em>@jabbers 302018 wrote:</em><blockquote>Is there a stable 1.7 version of Bistro, or was the 1.7 release of Bistro rolled into the 2.5 release and therefore equally lacking in the K2 area? I am particularly interested in the Social Media features incorporated in the more recent Joomla versions, but truly want a stable, completely functional build on Bistro.
    –Many thanks</blockquote>
    Once again, K2 is a 3rd Party Component and not a proprietary nor obligatory element of any JATC Template.

If one wishes to integrate the K2 component into one’s JATC Termplate based website – one is most definitely able to do so manually. Configuration and styling for such, however, – at this point in time – will need to be performed/accomplished by the individual user. Further, one can certainly try to use our J1.5 version template(s) (within which the K2 component was included as a complimentary feature) as a “model” from which to try to duplicate various K2 configurations into their own site structure.

Once again, and in conclusion . . . JA Bistro is fully compatible for use with the Joomla v2.5 CMS.

VisiGod Friend

Hi Phill,

That’s much better reply than the previous from Tom.
    Now there are few issues and few questions to raise, which concern me a lot:
    1. How did you estimated the low number of users of K2? I mean is there any statistic or reference?
    2. In September there will be Joomla! 3.0. Probably there will be a newer version of K2 at that time. If I migrate now and change the template I use, there is no guarantee that this template will be updated with the K2 version at that time. Which will bring me in the issue of redesigning the whole site again and again to keep it up to date with the latest versions of Joomla! and K2.
    3. JA Bistro (v 2.5.) has no K2 support at all. And I mean it. At all.
    4. The same issue applies for other templates and extensions (i.e. JA Social and JomSocial, Kunena etc.). I really encourage JA to issue a policy on that matter. I mean bad or good, at least we should know what to expect and what not to expect.
    5. Please take the decision on the K2 matter (as it affects a lot of templates) fast. Joomla! 1.5 EOL is April, which is quite soon. Afterwards there will be no security updates.
    6. Suggestion: As far as I can see, there are not really big changes in the K2 styling from version to version. It is now mainly the language strings (well, not only). If you could setup a forum, especially for this conversion, I am sure a lot of users will update the templates themselves and will publish it for the rest of the members. JA could even use these contributions to update the templates.

So in brief: Let us know what is the policy in general for support of 3PD styling and give chance to JA customers to help in the update. I am even willing to write some tutorial on how to update it.

VisiGod Friend

And no idea why my post get before yours…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

This topic contains 20 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Phill 12 years, 2 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum