Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author

We recognized the importance of the 1.5.9 security update and the whole team immediately get down to work as soon as we heard the voice.

After 2 days of hard work, starting with the newest ones, more than 30 templates (the ones released after JA Iris) has been updated to the download area up to this morning. Besides, some of the known issues with IE8 has also been fixed, tested and updated to the package.

All other older templates have also been updated and now in the test phase. I believe the whole updating process will be completed within the next 2 days.

Update (14/01/2009):
    All the download packages are now with Joomla 1.5.9 & fixes for IE 8 issues

sunrise Friend

Thanks Hung Dinh,

Now that is what I call “on the ball” Thanks a lot JA team for taking action right away in helping all members keep their sites as secure as possible.

One more reason to be a member of JoomlArt!

SP Media Friend

You guys work fast, will try updating some of my projects too now. 🙂

anisjolly Friend

cheers HD – will download the corona one as soon as update it.

keep up the good work!

bossej Friend

Is there a manual somewhere how to upgrade?

/Bosse

bennitos Friend

<em>@bossej 105779 wrote:</em><blockquote>Is there a manual somewhere how to upgrade?

/Bosse</blockquote>

A guide on how to upgrade joomla on already running websites you can find here (updating joomla, not template fixes):
    http://docs.joomla.org/Upgrading_1.5_from_an_existing_1.5x_version

bossej Friend

<em>@bennitos 105784 wrote:</em><blockquote>A guide on how to upgrade joomla on already running websites you can find here (updating joomla, not template fixes):
    http://docs.joomla.org/Upgrading_1.5_from_an_existing_1.5x_version</blockquote>

I have no problems upgrading Joomla itself. What I mean is; How do I upgrade the template?
    Can I just use the back-end installer and install JA Zeolite again? And it will automaticly overwrite the old files?
    Or do I have to manually drag all files via ftp? If that’s the case, what files are updated?
    Or should I just drag over the folder ja_zeolite to the server?

What about extensions? Are there any of these I need to upgrade?

/Bosse

sunrise Friend

What do you want to upgrade? Zeolite is already a new template. What this thread is about is upgrading your site, not matter what template you are using, to the new 1.5.9. If you site already has Zeolite and was made with 1.5.8 you should just upgrade Joomla, not the template. Or you could use the new Quickstart with 1.5.9. To me it is not really clear what it is that you are trying to do.

wnthemes Friend

Thanks JoomlArt!

I update my sites to 1.5.9 and all joomlart templates haven’t problems.

bossej Friend

<em>@sunrise 105792 wrote:</em><blockquote>What do you want to upgrade? Zeolite is already a new template. What this thread is about is upgrading your site, not matter what template you are using, to the new 1.5.9. If you site already has Zeolite and was made with 1.5.8 you should just upgrade Joomla, not the template. Or you could use the new Quickstart with 1.5.9. To me it is not really clear what it is that you are trying to do.</blockquote>

In the first post it saids:

<em>@Hung Dinh 105740 wrote:</em><blockquote>After 2 days of hard work, starting with the newest ones, more than 30 templates (the ones released after JA Iris) has been updated to the download area up to this morning. </blockquote>

I take that as if the templates needed to be updated for 1.5.9.

That’s why I ask.

/Bosse

sunrise Friend

What they meant was not that the template itself was updated. But JA always wakes a quickstart package that includes the joomla installations as well as template, modules, etc. When a new joomla comes out, especially something that is important for security, they update the package with the new Joomla.

The only updates they do on the templates is when there are bugs reported, or as mentioned above some issues with IE8 or things of that nature.

I hope this answers your question.

wooohanetworks Friend

Some notes for those who are still new to Joomla and Joomlart.com:

On one side it is right now simply about the problems the old 1.5.8 can cause to users. That is why it is in this case even much more important to update ANY old site to 1.5.9 that is falling under the category “threated” when the update is not done..

An upgrade of Joomla is always only related to the Joomla core files, those do not relate to a template.

(For the understanding of it, as the changelogs by Joomla always also include some template updates, those are for the few default templates that come with Joomla, like JA Purity, Beez and rhuk_milkyway. It appears to be that those are also handled by Joomla or in a cooperation with the Developers like Joomlart.com or Andy Miller, and will have some minor updates and bug fixes from release to realease of any new version. Those templates are commonly wide spread used by a lot of folks, also by some professionals that base their sites on them with some more deep coding than some can imagine. You probably won’t recognize those default Joomla templates when you still visit a site made with them.)

On the JA Template update site, yet, it is in this case right that the template stands alone from the Quickstarts. The quickstarts here at Joomlart.com are, which is not a common thing, constantly upgraded to the newest version. The reason is not only “to always have the newest fancy version” but to comply to the path of Joomla and the always updating security problems and bug fixes. The template itself are also updated, but here with adding the latest bug fixes like the mentioned fixes for IE8. Most other clubs do yet not care about it and also have their Quickstarts never updated, always running on the Joomla version they initially were released with.;)

When you already have a running site with a quickstart from Joomlart.com, based on 1.5.8, you can simply run the same procedure with updating the site like explained on Joomla.org. This will not delete your JA Template or make changes to the folders and files contained in the template directories where your JA Templates are stored.

I hope this clarifies some things to those who are still new to Joomla and Joomlart.com and wish you all the best indeed! The pros will already know…

Personally I think it is also very great, that by now, the known non-Joomla-core Template related issues with Internet Explorer 8 have been fixed by JA and added to the newest versions of the templates, as those bugs often are causing very strong errors in the site appearance, also when the codes are basically clean. This may help users of JA Templates to avoid the talk-to-talk by simple visitors how discarded their sites look when those eventually use IE8 without knowing about the issues with this browser and so this is also avoiding some typical problems on the consumer and PR side. This will especially help those newcomers in the business who can’t afford to pay any pro for removing such bugs caused by an application like IE8 or may not be aware of it yet.;)

SP Media Friend

They more than likely will probably be referring to the quickstart packages that come with all downloads, prepacked with 1.5.8. Easy mistake if you don’t know how Joomla upgrades work.

bossej Friend

<em>@sunrise 105804 wrote:</em><blockquote>What they meant was not that the template itself was updated. But JA always wakes a quickstart package that includes the joomla installations as well as template, modules, etc. When a new joomla comes out, especially something that is important for security, they update the package with the new Joomla.

The only updates they do on the templates is when there are bugs reported, or as mentioned above some issues with IE8 or things of that nature.

I hope this answers your question.</blockquote>

It does. Thanx!

/Bosse

Hung Dinh Friend

Hung Dinh;105740
    Update (14/01/2009):
    All the download packages are now with Joomla 1.5.9 & fixes for IE 8 issues

All the packages are now Joomla 1.5.9 !

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

This topic contains 22 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  thanhlp 15 years ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum