Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Hi all-

Can anyone explain me what is JA Teline 1.4? Has the template been cleaned and fixed with ALL the solutions given in this forum?

I will really, really appreciate your answer..:confused:

UPDATE: I found the answer…Thanks anyway. Was not what I expected from Joomlart

cgc0202 Friend

What did you find Ana?

<em>@anaivelisse 66147 wrote:</em><blockquote>Hi all-

Can anyone explain me what is JA Teline 1.4? Has the template been cleaned and fixed with ALL the solutions given in this forum?

I will really, really appreciate your answer..:confused:

UPDATE: I found the answer…Thanks anyway. Was not what I expected from Joomlart</blockquote>

questbg Friend

Please tell Ana. I haven’t been able to find a list of bug-fixes anywhere?

cgc0202 Friend

<em>@questbg 66160 wrote:</em><blockquote>Please tell Ana. I haven’t been able to find a list of bug-fixes anywhere?</blockquote>

I provided a “brief” summary here:

Fixes: from the changelog of JA Teline II v1.4

I am still debating whether to make the fix.

I upgraded some Demo sites to Joomla 1.5.4, and that solved one of the annoying flaws of previous Joomla1.5x — now the actual name of your website will show.

anaivelisse Friend

That’s what I found. The list of “cosmetic” fixes you compiled. It’s so frustrating.

For your info (and Chris) I found a free template for online newspapers I am considering to use. It’s classic J 1.5 modules. No fancy modules, no frontpage, but at least, a clear css file and flawless scripting.

2Patrick Friend

hi Anna

Any chance you could post the details of where to check out the free newspaper template.

Am struggling with Teline 11 so a stable newspaper template will be so welcome !

Thanks

cgc0202 Friend

<em>@anaivelisse 66266 wrote:</em><blockquote>That’s what I found. The list of “cosmetic” fixes you compiled. It’s so frustrating.

For your info (and Chris) I found a free template for online newspapers I am considering to use. It’s classic J 1.5 modules. No fancy modules, no frontpage, but at least, a clear css file and flawless scripting.</blockquote>

<em>@2Patrick 66360 wrote:</em><blockquote>hi Anna

Any chance you could post the details of where to check out the free newspaper template.

Am struggling with Teline 11 so a stable newspaper template will be so welcome !

Thanks</blockquote>

Just to be fair, to my knowledge, if you just want a stable news portal, the original JA Teline is very stable.

What is lacking is the documentation and technical support. And definitely, less buggy templates releases.

But, this is not limited to Joomlart. I use Gavick Pro also, they have :clearer initial documentation, but if you encounter a problem –same very limited support. I heard RocketTheme has good technical support, but the style of their templates is just now my kind of templates.

I had to struggle myself, mostly by trial and error and some by serendipity, to solve the issues I encountered. But, this was only at the start. Once I nailed all of them, the original JA Tdeline II gave me no more problems.

This is the same with Teline II, the lack of support is frustrating. I am more familiar withJoomla 1.0x, so I decided to stick with Joomla 1.0x-JA Teline II. As a result, I did not have the problems that many users of the Joomla 1.5x-Teline II experienced.

Quite a few problems by the way are induced by users, but again those were committed because there were no good guidelines and support. Last week, we (the customers) finally resolved three very critical problems encountered with Joomla 1.5x-Teline II

1. The disappearing or incorrect text in the HomePage and Intro pages issue
    2. The decoupling problem — the solution is easy for Joomla 1.0x, more radical solution needed for Joomla 1.5x)
    3. The “Read more” and non-linkable issues — also just a Joomla 1.5x problem, not a problem with Joomla 1.0x-Teline II

Chris (questbg) gave a workaround solution to the third problem. I do not like it because it is very tedious, you have to go through each Section and Category in the Magazine menu — and if you do not know what you are doing there, you can literally mess up your site.

There is a very simple solution (actually it has never been a problem) with Joomla 1.0x-Teline II, and this is partly because of the fault of Joomla not JoomlArt. There are so many good features in Joomla 1.0x that for some reason were not used in Joomla 1.5x

There are other issues encountered with Joomla 1.5x-Teline II that were reported previously that Menalto and a few Moderators, like Hainn, have helped provide solutions.

Hainn actually included quite a few of the fixes in in Teline II v1.4 — just not as comprehensive.

This weekend, I ventured into upgrading to Jooma 1.5.4. And yeah, I also installed a separate Joomla 1.5.3-JA Teline II that I then upgraded to Joomla 1.5.4 — a very long process.

Here’s my initial finding, Hainn did more fixes than what is suggested when you read what was stated in the changelog. The changelog was not written very well to understand fully what was done — but that is the part of the root of the problems of many Joomlart documentation.

I think if Joomlart just hires someone who could write good manuals for them, we will not be in this mess. We might even require less technical support in the forum.

If Joomlart is not willing to provide this technical support and manuals, then we should just buy their templates at very discounted prices so that we can afford to hire as a Collaborative Support Group, technical support and writers who will provide us with these services.

Cornelio

2Patrick Friend

Hi

How can I thank you?

Your post is so lucid and clear.

I will test out Teline II on Joomla 1.0 and wait for the problems with Teline II on Joomla 1.5 to be sorted out over the next few months .

We must all be thankful for people like you who share your experiences for free.

may God bless you.

cgc0202 Friend

<em>@2Patrick 66521 wrote:</em><blockquote>Hi

How can I thank you?

Your post is so lucid and clear.

I will test out Teline II on Joomla 1.0 and wait for the problems with Teline II on Joomla 1.5 to be sorted out over the next few months .

We must all be thankful for people like you who share your experiences for free.

may God bless you.</blockquote>

HI 2Patrick,

Be sure to start with the Joomla 1.0x-Teline II QuickStart kit. If you read the instructions well, there should be not much of a problem. I have a feeling many of the problems encountered with the Joomla 1.5.x-Teline II has already been resolved, mainly by the many postings here, and the collaboration with Moderators like Menalto, Hainn and a few others, plus customers like Chris, Ana, gaygiorgia, VisiGod, and a few more.

I encountered some glitches last night, like my JA News FrontPage disappearing — not sure I caused it, but the solution has been easy. So, it all comes from getting your feet wet and your hands dirty, as they say. I would encourage you to install a mittor site to serve as sandbox for your Joomla 1.0x-Teline II to experiment with, and then applying it to your main site, when it works.

We really can’t solve some basic problems of Joomla 1.5x, it is very new so it will take time for it to mature. We can help solve them on our own if we are willing to band together to help pay for the cost of some glitches. They are not difficult actually because similar scripts are known to work already in Joomla 1.0x. Then, template companies like Gavick Pro has shown that they can work around the issues of Joomla 1.5.

At the same time, as Menalto stated, Joomla 1.5x is the direction of Joomla. I learned a lot here by interacting with people who were actually using Joomla 1.5x. There are many good features in Joomla 1.5x, so that instead of waiting for others to solve the problems, try it yourself.

I think what many do not appreciate is that a magazine template is much much more complex than the usual templates. We should give credit to Joomlart for being the first to develop their magazine template, available to common folks like us.

Cornelio

2Patrick Friend

Hi

Thanks for the reply.Again I dont know how to thank you for sharing your experienece.

Now I feel more confidant in using Teline with Joomla 1.0 .

However I just installed SH404SEF but the rewritten urls are now displaying ( although SH404SEF ) is enabled.

Are you using any SH404SEF or any other similar extension.

Also do you have any problems using JUGA on Teline II/Joomla 1.0 ?How about any form extension ?

All I need to ge my site up are :

-DOCMAN ( working)
    -Community Builder( working)
    -SH404SEF
    -enable gzip(working)
    -JUGA ( to control access to parts of the site )
    -Pagecache 2.1( working)

TIP: gzip with Joomla SEO and SH404SEF enabled and Pagecache really improves loading performance .Only problem is SH404SEF is not rewriting URLs!

Yes..I am agreeable to support any effort to make Teline II better ( share some funds etc ).Who is GavickPro ?

cgc0202 Friend

<em>@2Patrick 66578 wrote:</em><blockquote>Hi

Thanks for the reply.Again I dont know how to thank you for sharing your experienece.

Now I feel more confidant in using Teline with Joomla 1.0 .

However I just installed SH404SEF but the rewritten urls are now displaying ( although SH404SEF ) is enabled.

Are you using any SH404SEF or any other similar extension.

Also do you have any problems using JUGA on Teline II/Joomla 1.0 ?How about any form extension ?

All I need to ge my site up are :

-DOCMAN ( working)
    -Community Builder( working)
    -SH404SEF
    -enable gzip(working)
    -JUGA ( to control access to parts of the site )
    -Pagecache 2.1( working)

TIP: gzip with Joomla SEO and SH404SEF enabled and Pagecache really improves loading performance .Only problem is SH404SEF is not rewriting URLs!

Yes..I am agreeable to support any effort to make Teline II better ( share some funds etc ).Who is GavickPro ?
    -</blockquote>

Hi Patrick,

Do you have any website that I can look at? I am interested with what you have done, and the extensions you added.

I read about them, but I have not had a chance to install them yet. As you can see from my postings, most of them were written since I came back here in mid May when I saw the JA Teline II. I liked it a lot, in spite of all the problems.

Before that I used the original JA Teline the template that brought me to Joomlart. Then when the technical support here was going down since early January, I saw the Gavick Pro News template, it was quite versatile, more so than the original JA Teline. They have a more modular concept, so that I can create a template quite different from the original Demo page. Very stable too, the main problem I was not able to solve was that the edit page has the text white on white:confused: I asked so many times, and did all I could to change it, but I was not.

I learned quite a bit there though because they do not have the QuickStart kit. So, it was a very long process — Joomla, then the template, then the Demo data. Almost 40 minutes.

Anyway, they do not have the magazine template yet. I requested them to make one. But, it is not really a simple script. So, I was quite delighted to come back here (I had one year membership) when Joomlart created JA Teline II.

Most of my time has been spent trying to understand and make it work, for myself. Since I do not have any scripting background at all, I decided to stick with Joomla 1.0x.

I am a firm believer of the idea that it is the content that matters. And, if the information you provide is credible. Now, if you can make it look nice in the process, then that is a bonus.:)

I would be interested to know more about your experience on the extensions you mentioned. I download SH404SEF, JUGA, and other admin tools, but I was so busy, I never got a chance to try them yet. In the case of the SEO, I thought for Joomla 1.0x, the default SEF tools was adequate. Have you tried it?

I have not tried the GZIP options yet. Yes, I am very concerned about the speed of presentation of the page. That is one area that I hope the Collaborative Support Group can explore in greater depth — the tools needed would be beyond the scope of a templates company. For example, I was briefly studying the architecture of Joomla files and directories. I do not know how to do it, but there is a lot for improvement there.

As a CMS, Joomla was meant to allow ease of third party extensions extending its capabilities, but the lack of integration, I think contributes to the bulkiness and the inefficiency in script integration.

My analogy for this, and is used a lot by database architecture designers, is that if you have too many cabinets, and drawers, and folders placed in different rooms, it will slow down the access, integration and presentation of the page.

So, if you can help, like start writing down tutorials, for the Joomla extensions that you are using now, including sharing the pitfalls, they will be significant contribution to the goals of the Collaborative Support Group.

Please send me a PM, or include me in your list of contact, and I will send you my private email address.

Thanks.

Cornelio

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

This topic contains 11 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  cgc0202 15 years, 10 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum