Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

One of my client needs me to transfer his Joomla 1.0 site contents to his new Joomla 1.5 website with JA OPAL.
    Well,I will be using the MIGRATOR component to move his contents, categories, sections, menu items, etc..

But at the same time, I also want to install the Quickstart of JA OPAL ..

So what do I need to do ?? :confused:

Is it possible that, after i setup a site with normal Joomla files and import the migrator sql file and set up his new 1.5 website with his contents and then install OPAL’s quickstart over it..
    So that , OPAL demo contents are intact and also my migrator’s contents ..

Help me out!!
    Its urgent!! :((

John Wesley Brett Moderator

Installing the Quickstart OVER the migration runs the risk of deleting your original site files (images, etc.)
    I would do the Quickstart FIRST and then try and lay the migration on top of it.

Either way…it’s probably not going to be a simple process. Good luck!
    John.

isgroup Friend

Ok lets say first quickstart ..

Then I have to goto phpmyadmin and IMPORt that migation SQL .
    Is that what you mean ??

Phill Moderator

I would also recommend using the MTW migrator component rather than the standard Joomla migrator. Of the 5 sites I have upgraded it has done a better job on all of them.

http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions/3895/details

Just make sure you go through all its configuration properly and select everything you need before you run it.

You wont need to fiddle around in phpmyadmin then.

So the plan, install the quickstart, install any other components you require or their equivalents, use mtw.

You’ll should then only need to tidy a few things up

isgroup Friend

Nope…

Im using that Migrator component only ,but it needs to do with a clean Joomla installtion.
    Thats why,im confused..

Anyways, im going to try the new trick today .Will let you know, if it works..
    But I think,its not going to work..

Yeah…I agree with Phill.
    The MTW Migrator is far superior…but you really have to pay attention through the configuration process.
    And don’t be surprised if you do it…realize you left something out…blow everything out and start over.

Patience is a virtue. 🙂
    Great luck.
    John.

mj1256 Friend

don’t do it on your live site, practice on your dev or test site several times first

Arvind Chauhan Moderator

For Joomla migration plugin to work you need fresh raw J 1.5.xx installation, use of mtwmigrator is advocated if you wish to have better migration results. However, mtwmigrator doesn’t work well for CB especially.
    I use mtwmigrator only for fireboard imports. Sites with foreign language (other than english) might pose problem with native Joomla migrator component.

Mtwmigrator doesn’t go well with articles with {mosimage} tags or {mospagebreak} tags.

For articles, menu items, categories etc i prefer using Joomla migration component and for other component i prefer the suggestions given in the respective forums.

use of migration options depends also on the kind of components installed on the old joomla site.

regards

arvind

isgroup Friend

bad question 🙁

I installed mTWMigrator on my 1.5 site now and it asks for hostname..
    I tried with localhost , domain.org and localhost@domain,org :confused:

No resulsts. 🙁

When I click on START MIGRATION,it says, Unable to connect to the database:Could not connect to MySQL

WHAT CAN BE THE ISSUE ??

Al the fields are correct. I think,just the HOSTNAME..
    Plz help.
    Thanks..

ShannonN Friend

isgroup;123667bad question 🙁

I installed mTWMigrator on my 1.5 site now and it asks for hostname..
    I tried with localhost , domain.org and localhost@domain,org :confused:

No resulsts. 🙁

When I click on START MIGRATION,it says, Unable to connect to the database:Could not connect to MySQL

WHAT CAN BE THE ISSUE ??

Al the fields are correct. I think,just the HOSTNAME..
    Plz help.
    Thanks..

try 127.0.0.1

ShannonN

isgroup Friend

Unable to connect to the database:Could not connect to MySQL

Same issue 😮

Phill Moderator

This simply means you have input incorrect information in the sql boxes.

Only your host can tell you the correct information. However, if you have a working joomla install take a look into your configuration.php file and you can see the information in that.

Open your configuration.php file and look for:

var $dbtype = 'mysql';
    var $host = 'db.hostedresource.com';
    var $user = 'yourDatabaseUserName';
    var $db = 'yourDatabaseName';
    var $dbprefix = 'jos_';

Somewhere in the setting in RED above is where you are having a problem.
    Without being able to log into server I can’t provide any better guess.

Good luck.
    John.

isgroup Friend

Well, the 1.0 site is on a different server and im setting up the new site at a new server..
    Is that an issue ???

And his 1.0 site’s db prefix is joomla__ ,not jos_

Is that going to conflict ??

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

This topic contains 14 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  isgroup 15 years, 1 month ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum