Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Hi

We’re using Uber for a hospital site here in the UK. I know IE8 and Windows XP are long dead, but our client and most of the UK public sector still use it extensively, so please bear with me 😉

The images we are using to introduce sections appear to be ‘squashed’ when viewed in IE8. The attached images shows the view from XP versus Safari.

Any thoughts on why or a possible solution without messing up the rest of the site for the rest of the world?

Cheers
    Stuart

Adam M Moderator

Hi @stuaforr,

Please open file templatesubercsscustom.css and add this code :

.acm-hero {
    background-position: center top !important;
    }

thefc_uk Friend

Hi Adam

Thanks for the tip, but unfortunately it does not seem to have resolved the issue.

My development URL is http://rnohppu.jdevcloud.com/the-unit/welcome.html

What’s your thought???

Cheers
    Stuart

Adam M Moderator

Hi @stuaforr,

I even see this in your custom.css file, please remove it :

#section-168 <article>
    <div class="row">
    <div class="col-sm-0 item-image-box">
    <?php echo JLayoutHelper::render('joomla.content.intro_image', array('images'=>$this->item->images, 'params'=>$this->item->params, 'url'=>$link)); ?>
    </div>

<div class="col-sm-12 item-content-box">
    <?php if ($params->get('show_title')) : ?>
    <?php echo JLayoutHelper::render('joomla.content.item_title', array('item' => $this->item, 'params' => $params, 'title-tag'=>'h2')); ?>
    <?php endif; ?>
    </div>

thefc_uk Friend

Hi Adam,

Not sure what deleting that would make as it only effected module 168, however, its been removed.

No change to the IE experience.

Looking at it, it is like the responsive code to change the image is having no effect. On my large desktop screen, increasing and decreasing the browser window stretches or compresses the image – does that help find out what’s happening?

Thanks for your help so far
    Stuart

Adam M Moderator

Hi @stuaforr,

Please stay tuned while I’m checking this matter for you and I will reply back shortly.

Adam M Moderator

Hi @stuaforr,

I’ve just discussed with our development team about this matter. The fact is we used CSS3 background-size to make the background image fit the container.

But IE8 doesn’t support this property and we used sizingMethod=’scale’ to achieve our goal and the result is as you can see in your site. I’m afraid that there’s no other option at the moment and if we remove this property to keep the aspect ratio, the background image won’t fit the container.

thefc_uk Friend

Dear Adam,

I thought that may be the case when I realised the ‘scaling’ effect. I’ve also just Googled IE8 and found that MS will end support in January 2016, so advised my client to upgrade 😉

Thanks for your help and for getting to the bottom of the technical reason why.

Cheers
    Stuart

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

This topic contains 8 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  thefc_uk 8 years, 7 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum